Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Got my Scat Pack - Question on A8 auto

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mikeychallenger 
#1 ·
Does anyone seem to have some gear whine coming from their A8? Mine has some low tone whine at about 58 mpg when I lift off the gas and some whine at around 65 mph.

The A8 shifts great and I thought it might be the rear end until I put the car in neutral going down the road and the whine stopped.

Not annoying per say, and I'm certainly used to some transmission noise coming from the M6 and the Barton. That combo was like a Orchestra of noise that I got used to.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed anything.

#2 ·
Can't say I've heard anything, but it could still be rear end gear whine. That's normal, particularly at low mileage, and putting it in neutral may not stop rear end whine. Neutral just disengages the transmission from the driveshaft; there's no way to disengage anything at the rear so all the parts that make the whine are still spinning. They just don't have as much lash because of reduced force on the rear gears.

Mike

#3 ·
58mpg? I hope you challenger gets that mileage lol

#4 ·
I have a M6 and have a little noise at around 58? and 73. Nothing intrusive or bothersome. you have to listen for it. I did read in the manual (I forget where) that some tranny noise is normal

#5 ·
My rearend whines. Pretty annoying right around 57-62 mph. It's when it is under load - push the clutch in and it quits, let it back out and it whines. Annoying when you have the windows up and music off just having a conversation with someone in the car.

I'm letting the dealer listen to it Saturday. Not going to blow up by any means but not what I expect out of a 40k car. They may end up replacing it down the road like the one in my last R/T.

Only difference is I damaged the one in that car - it didn't come new sounding that way like this one...

Not a big deal - that's what warranties are for.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
I'm getting used to the whine in mine, either that or it is not as pronounced. I will be changing the gear fluid in mine at 1,000 miles to Redline 75w85.

I think the rear ends in these cars are just prone to whine and if they don't whine when new, they will eventually after a few trips to the track.

My 2014 R/T rear end was completely silent until my first trip to the track. The whine in it was different than my 2015. It only whined under a load. My Scat Pack really only whines during deceleration. I almost like the sound... it's a very "mechanical" whine..... almost like some of the 6 speeds noises in my 2014.

#7 · (Edited)
Not that everyone did this, but it has been stated here repeatedly that full-throttle burnouts and wheel hop too soon with a brand new car WILL make the rear end sing. Another reason to avoid avoiding the recommended break-in procedure. Just sayin........

#8 ·
We know this was the case with the 226mm Getrag. I believe the 230mm just has its own unique noises. Some will likely be more noisy than others.

I haven't even chirped the tires and I haven't been full throttle under 60 mph. I also adhered to the 0-100, 100-300 and currently the 300-500 break in.

I've gotten used to the noise already and like I said earlier.. it is growing on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.