Dodge Challenger Forum banner

ha about lost it at the dealers picking up my car

18K views 134 replies 54 participants last post by  RT23 
#1 · (Edited)
So true story. Ordered the car on aug 6 and it got to the dealers Oct 7 Tuesday and dealer said give me a day to clean it up , get the paper work in order u can pick it up weds at 5pm. said cool . (sublime green, with all the goodies)

so yesterday at 4:45pm I called my salesman said I was on my way, he said yep its ready, and that he would pull it around front and for me to come on in an sign and get the keys.

So imagine my dismay when I pull into the dealer lot and I see some random dude all up in my car with his 3 kids inside it with the doors open and trunk popped open. I pull up in front of the car and jump out and told him in no uncertain terms to get himself and his kids out of my car. so he gets out all flustered and starts yelling how was he to know it was sold, etc. ha at this point my wife had gotten out and had grabbed by arm and was trying to pull me away and to calm me down and just get the salesman out here.

Which I did - I made the saleman take the car back into the building and told him to go over the car with a fine tooth comb from front to back to make sure this guy and his kids didnt jack around with anything. :surprise: Ha, I was not a happy camper but it was the salemans fault for leaving the car unlocked.

bottom line - these cars draw attention - you cant leave them alone for a second.

edit

I should have been clear - the car was parked no where near where cars are for sale. The used car lot was a good 150ft away and so too was the new car lot. the area it was parked in - is 99% customers cars. You will on occasion find a car with a dealer plate on it that customers may have just test driven in that area so that's why I didn't say its 100% customer parking area.

yes the kids where crawling through the console area to get into/out of the back seat.

To some of your concerns - I didnt say one cuss word to the guy nor raise my voice as I knew his kids where there. I simply asked him what do you think your doing and to get out of my car (yes in a very stern tone). He is the one that started yelling & cussing - most likely because he knew he had just screwed up. My wife pulled me away at that point because yes she know I was about to go ahead and go off on the guy once he started yelling and cussing at me.

My salesman was as stunned as I was that some dude would get into a car WITH his kids in the area in which the car was parked without FIRST asking a salesman if this car was in fact for sale or not. This man has NO respect for other peoples property and yes it technically was my car as I had put 5k down to order it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Man... I would have been so pissed if that was my car and saw that happening. I would have lost it. Hopefully nothing was jacked with and everything is fine. That sucks that had to happen though. Stupid dealer shouldn't just have the car unlocked like that for anyone to jump into it. Car should always be locked until the buyer gets there. What an idiot father to just let his filthy little kids climb around all in it though. Geez...

#3 ·
At that point, I would have told the salesman to sell the car to the guy who was monkeying around in it and walk out. That's VERY disrespectful. Kind of shows what they think of other people's cars.

#5 ·
How that guy to know it was sold? The dealer screwed up but the guy is innocent, he was probably as excited as we were the first time we sat in one

#6 ·
Jeeze dude, chill the hell out...no need to get your Full Jerry Springer on. If I was tire-kicking on a lot during business hours and saw a new un-tagged car that caught my fancy that was unlocked, I would have opened everything up also. How was that guy supposed to know it was someone elses car?

#7 ·
Yeah, I imagine these cars get pawed a lot on the dealer lots. New...SHINY! *Touch, touch, touch*

I wouldn't have gone off on the dude with the kids (I have 2 boys myself) if this happened to me, but I certainly would have given my salesman an "earful" for not locking it or at least placing a sold sign under the windshield on the dash or something.

Glad you got your ride and it wasn't damaged or scuffed up. :)

#28 ·
The perils of choosing a fookin' gorgeous looking car in an outrageous look at me colour. :)

Probably don't have this drama at the Toyota dealerships.
Guess you've never seen 2 treehuggers fighting over a Prius before..... it's brutal!!! :fight:

#12 ·
I can just see those kids stepping on your console while going back and forth from front to back seats 5 times, grabbing shifter knob and pulling on it making vroom sounds, pushing every button and turning every knob 100 times, opening and slamming the glove box 20 times, pushing and pulling the power window and lock buttons.....I would be like WTF too when I saw that lol

Reactions: dodgemahal
#13 ·
I can see having a case of the ass after waiting two months. But, I don't think these car are that fragile the rug rats would do any harm.

I would have made the family aware that you were the owner then let the dealership have it.

When my car arrives I will be there supervising the prep and then take delivery the same day. If this arrangement is unacceptable to the dealership up front then I will purchase elsewhere.

#18 ·
The point is no one should be in YOUR car before you even get to lay your eyes on it for the first time. Not only that but the guy had his kids all over inside of it. It's uncalled for and yes it is the dealerships fault for leaving it unlocked. You just don't do that to a $40,000 car. It's the OP's car. Some guy and his kids shouldn't be climbing around inside of it. I'm sure if you saw that happen to your newly delivered car you'd be a little mad too. If I was in the OP's shoes I'd be pissed as well but glad it turned out alright for him judging by his last post.

#19 ·
1. Factory-ordered car should have a SOLD tag in it.
2. People should be better behaved and have control of their kids in public.
3. People should respect things that they do not own, and be teaching their kids that as well.

A shame only one thing on that list is a "possibly" to ever happen in today's society.

Reactions: iMerlin
#25 ·
If you didn't say it, I was going to say it.

I have 6 year old twins (boy and girl) and the other day I caught them leaning on our neighbors car. I politely walked over to them and explained why they should not be leaning on someone else's stuff. By the way, it is a Nissan!

I don't care where we are, if my kids were crawling around like the OP describes, they would've gotten an ear full and a little speech about respecting other peoples properties.

#20 ·
all they did was touch it? well as it turned out yes no harm done or I would not have completed the purchase. However, you know full well what 3 kids under 10 yr of age could do to inside/outside of a car - dont try to set and state oh no big deal. depends upon what they have on their shoes/hands, etc. or for instance the dad had his 4 door 1990's POS car parked next to mine and they could have flung open their doors and dinged mine - all sorts of things could have been done.

#39 ·
QUOTE="Charlene";3681538]What an idiot father to just let his filthy little kids climb around all in it though. Geez...[/QUOTE]

It's interesting how so many posts are in agreement with how this was approached. And why are so many assumptions made? What gave any indication the kids were dirty? In the original post, he said the kids were in the car, not climbing all over it and messing with stuff. It was never mentioned in the OP that the kids were unruly.

Parents should "NOT" let there rug rats in any car but the one they own......
Keep your rug rats to yourself...........show them some discipline and show them respect for others people property but then, that is just old school thinking.............just saying!
The guy was at a dealership, where people look at cars. Maybe he just became fortunate enough that he was able to look to buy something and get rid of that "1990's POS", as the OP'er condescendingly called it.
And technically, it still belonged to Chrysler until the papers were signed. I've allowed my 5 and 8 year old in dealership cars with me, how is this disrespectful?
I'm very particular and protective of my car, but would have probably handled this differently. A lot of problems come from acting/reacting before thinking.

#31 ·
Well telling them not to lean or climb around someones car is different then popping the hood and explaining to them the definition of AMERICAN MUSCLE!!

Im so sick of seeing parents completely oblivious to their kids actions because they are to busy on their smart phones. So I take it upon myself to be the neighborhood behavior coach!

I educate my kids but discipline others!

#35 ·
100% dealers fault

All on the dealer..
Car SHOULD have been:

1. locked
2. pulled up to a dedicated "delivery area"
3. designated as SOLD..

This dealer pulls it up to the showroom & leaves it unlocked, unmarked & unattended> thats a complete lack of care about a customer's sold vehicle!

#36 ·
Wow. I understand it's an expensive car and we're all passionate about them but good grief man. If I were the guy and I had my kids with me I'd have been right back in your face and it might not have ended well. You shouldn't yell at a man in front of his kids like that. That's how men lose tempers.

At any rate...it was the dealers fault and I'm sure they would've fixed anything that was not satisfactory. No need to get all worked up and have a stroke over. Even if there were damage, it would've worked out in the end.

Gooooozfrabah......goooozfrabah....

#37 ·
Cant.blame.the.guy....true the salesman shouldnt have left it there unlocked and unmarked. I would NOT light up the person in Front of his children. But I would hace asked him sternly to remove himself and family from MY car. Then I would have found my salesman and voiced my displeasure and concern for scuffs and marks. As for the parent and his kids actions.......that is purely HIS fault
thats someones future car...not an entertainment system. You're right I see so many children undisciplined in public that it alarms me. I have never said anything to the child or parents....but believe me I can dish out a look that definately expresses my opinion of what they are doing.....

#42 ·
And that's understandable, it would have me too. But why act in such a way your wife has to grab him and try to calm him down? Was the guy intentionally disrespecting? Doesn't sound like it. Try approaching the guy, and let him know what he didn't, maybe even get an "I'm sorry man, I didn't know, nice car".

#43 · (Edited)
I am in total support of the OP. I would have gone non linear too.

Hey OP I hope you checked for any scratches in the interior PRIOR to taking possession. Also you probably could have negotiated a few goodies or dealer installed "extras" for the desecration of your ride.

Man would I be PISSED.

#44 ·
Put yourself in the shoes of the OP. He waited for the car and when it finally arrives, his moment of finally laying eyes on his car for the first time was marred by a guy and his kids climbing in it as if it's the newest attraction at the school playground. That is a total buzzkill, and the OP's emotions came out. It's easy to criticize the OP when it's not your car and you have no skin in the game. It's bad enough when this happens in the showroom, where anyone can get in and fart on the seats. But outside, with presumably no window sticker on the car, the guy should have kept his grubby paws off the car.

#46 ·
Put yourself in the shoes of the OP. He waited for the car and when it finally arrives, his moment of finally laying eyes on his car for the first time was marred by a guy and his kids climbing in it as if it's the newest attraction at the school playground.
Yet aother assumption about the behavior of the kids. Where in this thread has he said anything about the behavior of the kids, other than in the original post that they were inside the car with the doors open?! Are there posts I'm not seeing?
One poster, "imerlin", even said "...if my kids were crawling around like the OP described...". Well, guess what, he didn't!

And the comments about teaching kids to respect other's property, I completely agree with, and teach to mine. I also teach them not to run up to another kid thats playing with one of their toys, grabbing it, and saying "Mine!", like children are known to do. But it seems like the only two reasons this is mentioned is because of the assumptions of their behavior, and possibly to vilify the guy for more than, apparently, harmlessly sitting in the car (trunk could have been opened by anyone else). I also teach them to TREAT people with respect, TALK respectfully (which is a bigger challenge). Teaching them to not take $h!t will come later when they have better judgment.

I have tried considered both perspectives with the information posted. But you only put yourself in the OPs shoes. Ever consider that the man was walking by the car with the kids, and maybe they said something like "dad, look at that! Can we look at it?" I'd want to check it out too.

There is too much bs and bad crap in this world, part of which is the way people treat each other and only consider themselves. I see it every day.

#45 ·
Maybe it's just me, but when I go looking for cars, my kiddos comfort is top priority, so in he goes. Same thing happened when I bought my KR (1 of 110). Now if someone were to go off on me for not knowing the car was sold to the point his wife had to hold him from trying to be a tough guy, one of us most definitely, if not both would have had a painful ride in an ambulance.

#47 ·
So imagine my dismay when I pull into the dealer lot and I see some random dude all up in my car with his 3 kids inside it with the doors open and trunk popped open.

I should have been clear - the car was parked no where near where cars are for sale. The used car lot was a good 150ft away and so too was the new car lot. the area it was parked in - is 99% customers cars.

There were four people inside his car, including three kids. Draw your own conclusions.

The car wasn't in or even near the showroom. The guy had balls to go inside a car on the lot without a salesman, and put his kids inside it to boot. He doesn't deserve a pass--he got what was coming to him, which amounted to an ass-chewing. All this talk from the keyboard commandos about sending the OP off in an ambulance is laughable. Have some respect for other people's things or expect to get called on it.

Was the guy there to buy his own Challenger? I doubt it. Maybe you can be generous with your own car and not get angry if your new car is getting checked over by a family before you even get a chance to see it for yourself. The OP waited two months for the car, and had every right to be mad that someone is crawling around his car.

There are plenty of people here who have taken delivery of their cars without a full dealer prep because they want to do it themselves. I really surprised that there are members here who want to give the guy and his kids a pass.

#48 · (Edited)
There were four people inside his car, including three kids. Draw your own conclusions.

The car wasn't in or even near the showroom. The guy had balls to go inside a car on the lot without a salesman, and put his kids inside it to boot. He doesn't deserve a pass--he got what was coming to him, which amounted to an ass-chewing. All this talk from the keyboard commandos about sending the OP off in an ambulance is laughable. Have some respect for other people's things or expect to get called on it.

Was the guy there to buy his own Challenger? I doubt it. Maybe you can be generous with your own car and not get angry if your new car is getting checked over by a family before you even get a chance to see it for yourself. The OP waited two months for the car, and had every right to be mad that someone is crawling around his car.

There are plenty of people here who have taken delivery of their cars without a full dealer prep because they want to do it themselves. I really surprised that there are members here who want to give the guy and his kids a pass.

That's two posts in a row from you where you're "presuming" and "drawing conclusions" on information that wasn't even there.

You do realize there is a line between "Sure, let your kids trash my car" (or whatever you think they were doing) and "You bleeping bleep bleep blanking mother blanker. I'm going to blank you up your blanking blank with a blanking tire iron if you ever even blanking THINK of laying one bleeptity bleep bleep blanking FINGER on my car".

Were it me, I would have gone for the more subtle approach...walked up and said "Nice car huh?" Assuming the guy said "Yea", I would have said "Thanks...I just bought it!" and let HIM get out of the car on his free will without threatening him in front of his children. He's just another dude checking out a good looking car....can't fault him for that.

Reminds me of one time I was meeting my g/f at a bar. I walked in and saw some other dude walk up to her and starting chatting her up. I could tell by his body language he was looking to pick her up. I just calmly walked up, put my arm around her, and gave the guy a friendly "Hi".

It's the difference in being confident, and acting like a One-Star Blow-Hard...and there's never a need to go One-Star.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.