Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat airbox issues

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  derick 
#1 ·
Installed the hellcat airbox on my SP a few months back. Noticed tonight, that it is rubbing on the coolant reservoir. I really can't get to tearing it back apart for a couple days. Has anyone else had issues at all with this? Is there any adjustment to it at all? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
My HC box touches the coolant res tank insame manner as you described, as you can see (pic taken tonight) I am not certain if this is of any actual concern, since both are bolted down firmly, so there would be minimal (if any) contact/movement friction between the two that would cause wearing thru either piece. I unbolted the air box and took a peek just to be sure, neither showed any signs of wear, scrubbing, etc. The car has just under 1400 miles. You could probably open up the mount slots on the air box just a smidge with a dremel or round file to allow it a few millimeters of forward adjustment - away from the tank...or add some rubber isolator material, or...??
Hemi4Us

Attachments

#5 ·
If you can't figure out a way to add a bit more space between the air box and coolant tank, loosen the air box and place a strip of rubber between the two units and secure it again. At least that will give you some protection against any type of wear that might occur over time from vibration. Just a thought.

Once I get my SRT, I'll also be installing the HC air box. I'll do the same procedure if I find that I have the same issue with the air box and coolant tank.

#7 ·
Did you loosen the reservoir bolts(even remove them for a moment) when you put the airbox in? That's the only way to have the proper room for the install.

#8 ·
It is wearing through the reservoir tank. I will be taking it apart tonight if I have time, and try to see why it's sitting like that. I know pictures would be beneficial, but I am stuck at work. Thank you guys for the input, I'll keep you updated!

#10 ·
I know there is at least 1 decent sized rubber spacer that plugs in on the side to.keep spacing between the coolant tank and the top.of the plastic airbox

#11 ·
Yes, I have all the correct grommets and spacers in place. It wouldn't let me upload an image, but it was slightly wearing a groove in the plastic. I removed the airbox completely and reinstalled. Seems better, but I stuck a rubber barrier on the reservoir just in case. But it seems spaced better now! Thanks guys!

Attachments

#12 ·
That is really odd...I made sure to get the rubber spacer off of the back of the old box and transfer it to the new box as well as the two foam pieces...I removed them carefully and then placed them on the new box and installed it...no rubbing issues for me on my Scat Pack or on my wife's 2015 R/T...

#13 ·
you can loosen the rad res and maybe push it back a bit that's what I did when I added mine. it was touching the box so I loosened the bolts push it back a bit and tightened them back up.I also pulled the box forward.

#18 ·
Once you pull the stock air box out you can reach right in there and there's a couple clips you pinch on the back side of it and it pulls right out.

Reactions: Mopar Frank
#19 · (Edited)
Loosen the left screw on the reservoir, then remove the right screw. Push the right side of the reservoir back and notice where the hole now resides (you can see through the plastic).

Drill a 1/4" hole in the plastic and replace the screw. There will now be a nice space between the air-box and reservoir. The new hole will be slightly forward and to the right of the factory hole.

Remember to retighten the left screw.

#21 ·
Rubber spacer on fender

I have a 2016 Hellcat Challenger and purchased the aFe Momentum CAI for. I did not realize there was a rubber grommet for the hole underneath the box. I've already sold my factory air cleaner. Would anyone happen to know where I can get one at or the part number to order one? I've been looking around everywhere and I know they have to bbe sold some where. Any help would be greatly apprecitaed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.