Dodge Challenger Forum banner

IF you don't mind, what are you guys paying to insure the Scat Pack

114K views 63 replies 47 participants last post by  Johnnyfeedback 
#1 ·
I ask because I am going to finance my purchase and therefore must get and maintain full coverage. So...
What should I prepare myself for in the agent meeting?
Anyone one insurance company better in regard to covering the car?
Any tips about specifics wants or don't wants?

My wife and I have been Allstate customers for 20 years, but the individual agents have changed twice in the last 4 years... So I'm OK with changing agents or companies.

Thanks, the amount of learning I've been doing over the last weeks has been great!

#3 ·
Erie Insurance - $1100 annually for both of my vehicles, liability only on the expedition. I have a multi-policy that includes my house and a discount for paying in full. I had to shop around though. Most companies had my rates increasing anywhere from $300-$600, which is ridiculous imo.

Reactions: zenmedic
#5 ·
I havent found anywhere that will insure me for less than $195 a month (USAA). Sucks being 25 with a traffic violation in the past 3 years.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear they're bilking you, His_Limeness. :(

To be clear I'm 47, clean driving record, multiple policies on multiple vehicles.
Homeowners, cars, my MC, and the travel trailer (Which I'm selling if you're interested.) ;)

#7 ·
You wont get a reliable answer with this. There are so many factors that determine your rate, such as your age, driving history, insurance company, how many cars you insure, if you insure your home with the company, how often the car is driven, etc etc.

With that being said, I pay 93 a month with all my discounts,

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#8 · (Edited)
As Cristobal09 stated, there are so many variables that impact each insured's policy and premiums, and so it's deceptive to compare rates with most others---unless you have very good reason to believe that their coverage scenario and risk profile match yours perfectly.

#10 ·
I'm 23, live in Southern NH.

1 ticket on record.

For my 2014 Ram 1500 and my 2015 Scat Pack I pay 200 a month. When I turn 25 that is expected to be reduced a lot

#14 ·
If it makes anyone feel any better. I just switched insurance from Nationwide to Geico. With Nationwide I was paying $496 a month for the truck and car

I pay 200 a month now for the same coverage and no deductible however on my search all of the other companies were quoting me around the $400-$500 a month mark, except Geico...

#18 ·
I just bought a 2015 Phantom Black Challenger on Jan 2 and was on pins and needles thinking about insurance cost. Here is what Erie Insurance just gave me and I was pleasantly suprised. Hope this helps...
Auto's Annual Miles
2008 Honda Civic Use: Every Day Driver 8,500 + Miles
2009 Acura TL Use: Pleasure up to 8,500
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Use: Pleasure up to 8,500
Drivers:
Myself and My Wife. I am 37 and my wife is 34
No tickets or accidents
Liability: 100K/300K/100K
Deductable: $500
With Eric for 18 yrs
Discounts: Safe Driver, Multi Car, Home and Life Insurance
Cost Total: $1,830 yearly
Challenger Cost Only: $767 yearly

#22 · (Edited)
$484.00 per 6 months. Thats 250/500/250, 0 deductible comp, 100 collision, uninisured 250/500/250 and 5000 medical payments.

I'm 51 with 4 cars and a house with State Farm. This Challenger SP is 50.00 every 6 months higher then the '14 Corvette I replaced it with. The collision is what went up between the two cars, I guess they are expensive to fix..

FWIW my '14 3 series BMW is 379.00 for 6 months, '13 Ram Pickup is 393.00 and '12 Jeep Wrangler is 377.00, all the same coverage.

State Farm knew what the Scat Pack was, it is possible some companies do not yet, its not a cheap car to insure by any means when it cost more to insure than a Corvette that costs 25K more new.

Like other have stated, one ZIP code over and the rates are 20% cheaper or more expensive so its really hard to compare on the internet.

#23 ·
Insurance varies dramatically state to state so you would need to ask only others within your own state. For instance I moved from Michigan to Virginia. In Michigan my insurance for my sedan was some around 1800 a year and here in Virginia on the same car its around 500 for the exact same coverage.

#24 ·
Would insurance companies charge more for a Challenger SRT 392 vs a R/T Scat Pack? Same HP/Engine just a few mod differences (front brakes, suspension modes, wider tires etc) some have told me that because it's an "SRT" the premiums will be higher. Not sure if true, heard answers from both sides. :frown:

#25 ·
It's not just the engine, modes, etc. It's the cost of repairs, cost of replacement, replacement, how often the model is stolen or wrecked, etc. It's all in the statistics, insurance companies live off probability tables.

#27 ·
SRT insurance is higher than a Scat Pack when insurance companies don't know what a Scat Pack is. It was around 60 a month higher for me when quoted on my current carrier for a SRT.

It's about half and half right now. Popular online insurance company that has a lot of commercials #1 insures a Scat Pack as a RT, while #2 insures it as a SRT. You basically have to call and get quotes on your VIN and when they ask you what type of car it is, "it's a RT."

#28 ·
I feel like I got a bad deal. I have state farm and im paying almost $1900 a year for a 2012 Town and Country and my Scat Pack. Thats $500 collision and $250 comprehensive. I have 0 accidents and one speeding ticket 11 years ago. My wife was rear ended not too long ago and had a speeding ticket 5 years ago. They said my rate wouldn't increase because the accident wasn't her fault.

#29 · (Edited)
Rates have nothing to do with the vehicle's name. It is all about risk, and an insurance company consults actuary tables to see what the risk is on a particular vehicle. If an SRT has a higher risk probability than a Scat Pack then the premium will be higher. And, the risk can change with time as more data is added. Risk is different in different locations too. Also, the risk of the insured matters...a lot! With an identical vehicle and insurance company a 25 year old with a good record will pay higher premiums than a 60 year old with the same record. To compound the confusion for consumers further, different companies use different actuary tables. Bottom line, you have to do your research, just because bubba pays $50/month doesn't mean you will.

#31 ·
Rates have nothing to do with the vehicle's name. It is all about risk, and an insurance company consults actuary tables to see what the risk is on a particular vehicle. If an SRT has a higher risk probability than a Scat Pack then the premium will be higher. And, the risk can change with time as more data is added. Risk is different in different locations too. Also, the risk of the insured matters...a lot! With an identical vehicle and insurance company a 25 year old with a good record will pay higher premiums than a 60 year old with the same record. To compound the confusion for consumers further, different companies use different actuary tables. Bottom line, you have to do your research, just because bubba pays $50/month doesn't mean you will.
The issue with the Scat Pack is kind of the name, as some companies haven't properly adjusted their rates for a RT with a 392 Hemi in it (it should basically be rated similarly to a SRT Core). And, as our VINs are often not recognized because of the newness, our quotes often either pull the RT rates or the SRT rates, depending on company.

You can kind of test it by doing a few quotes on the online sites (Progressive/Esurance/etc.) and playing with your VIN and the pulldowns. The pulldowns only allow for RT or SRT in almost all of them, with no Scat Pack option, and the VINs aren't recognized. Talk to an agent, and they'll ask you if it's a RT or SRT or Hellcat when manually plugging in your VIN/rate. Some companies are basically insuring either a 40,000 RT or a 40,000 SRT, when we're talking about the risk of the car itself portion of it (with the driver out of the equation).

#32 · (Edited)
31 years old, New York, had one speeding ticket 10 years ago.

100/300, $500 deductables, $48 a month from USAA.

I don't pay for towing and rental, as I we have three cars, so no sense in paying for rental when I can use one of our own cars. And towing is somewhat covered under roadside.

A few things to think about when looking at your rates, where you can live down to the city can matter. Certain areas have more theft or cost more to repair, which is all factored into the calculation.

Driving record also matters, but so does your credit. Chances are if you get really high rates after shopping around, your either young, have a bad record, bad credit or combo of those things. Also being married will get you lower rates. If your under 25 specially under 21 and not married, it is what it is.

Somethings to look at to help your rate.

1. Combine your insurance house, rental, car, life, as much as you can. That usually gets a discount.

2. AAA offers a defensive driving course online, lots insurance companies will give you a discount for taking this course. Takes a few hours behind the computer and like 40 bucks. Wife and I did it and knocked off about 40 a month off of our bill

#33 ·
not exactly a response to this thread, but it has to do with insurance company, so.... I have USAA and got 1000$ discount (off purchase, not insurance costs) with challenger, just wanted to throw that out there if there are any USAA people who didn't know about that...

#34 ·
Be happy you don't live Michigan. Insurance rapes us here with the highest premiums in the nation by a large margin. I pay $973 for 6 months for the scat pack. That's for Full coverage, $1000 deductible collision, $250 comprehensive, 100K/300K coverage.

#39 ·
$82/MO or $984/YR with $1000 deductible. Missouri, clean record, age 35, multi-car/homeowners with State Farm. Seems like my other daily drivers (trucks have been around $60-70/mo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.