Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Just won my first race

7K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  wasp392 
#1 ·
So im driving home from work and some guy in 2000 body style mustang gt rolls up on my right revs his engine and takes off. So i stomp on the gas and fly by him. We slow down he holds his finger up like 1 more so i reach down and put it in sport mode. We slow down to 40 he beeps 3x and i launch on him like hes not moving up to 90. I must have been 6 lengths on him. We exit together and at the light hes like, what did you do to that thing? Whats in there? Im like its a scat with a 392. He goes ohhhhh.... Dont i feel stupid. Im like you thought it was an r/t didnt you? He goes yep..... Hahahahahhahahaha

#6 · (Edited)
You can now expect the following posts to show how lame and irresponsible your actions are and that you should not be racing on the streets. Serious accidents can and do happen from responsible drivers and even more serious accidents can happen from those that do not consider the consequences of their actions, such as street racing.

Be more courteous to others when driving. Consider the possibility that families travel the roads and at any moment either of you could have lost control and ruined someone else's life.

If you must race, take it to the track. I can't say that I have never done something like this, but I can say that I know better now.

Enjoy your car, but please be responsible with it.
If you have done it ONCE you are just as guilty. People say they are reformed or they are a different person now, but I am not buying it. Don't throw stones and act all self righteous.

Maybe they were on a deserted road with no one else around? Who gives you the right to tell someone else what to do?

Just getting a head start on all the ................:fight:

I actually got a good laugh out of this OP. Especially the part where the Guy thought it was a 5.7 LOL

#9 ·
I found my equal by living in western ny and unfortunately having to drive mine through winter. I know i know, but i didnt have enough to make my down payment and buy a 2nd car being that the motor in my truck blew it was bad enough borrowing and renting cars for 2 months while i waited for delivery. So needless to say ive gotten very comfortable quickly in very unfavorable conditions. My dad cant even drive his camery in 4 inches of snow let alone a 485hp monster and i have only gotten stuck once for only 10 mins

#7 ·
Yeah i figured there would be some racing is dangerous comments. But if you own a scat and you havent gotten on the highway ramp at 30 and hit it to 70 or 80 you are lying.... remember i own one. i know how fast it comes up. Its the same thing hard acceleration from a roll. There just happened to be another car next to me doing the same thing. And honestly i wasnt worried about him crashing into me... because he was so far behind me.... anyway sorry to anyone who feels otherwise. But this post wasnt for you, but thanks for caring. Just please care quietly.

#11 ·
I feel that most people who own a 485 HP car have graduated up to that HP over many years. And of course its best to always make sure one has plenty of road and the right conditions. Know your car, know its limits -- know yourself and know your own limits. I agree safety first and fun second. But I still have plenty of fun.:wink3:

#15 ·
We had 8 1/4 mile drag strips here in SO CA in the 50/60s and they still street raced. I think it will always be around and yes it is dangerous and everyone knows better as its like drinking and driving it will always be there. When they start taking your car away it may stop BUT i doubt it.

#16 · (Edited)
Had a post a couple days about 2 people getting killed by a street racer who then fled on foot. Well they caught one of the guys and now he is facing 2 counts of murder and looking at 33 years to life in prison and he wasnt even the one who hit the two spectators. You seriously hurt or kill someone racing on the street today you will be going to jail.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/03/05/izzy-valenzuela-arrested-murder-street-outlaws-racing-accident

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

STREET OUTLAWS' DRIVER
MURDER CHARGES
For Street Racing Accident

2 Hours Ago

EXCLUSIVE

Izzy Valenzuela -- who appeared on the Discovery channel show "Street Outlaws" -- was arrested Thursday and charged with two counts of murder for his role in a street racing accident.

According to the L.A. County D.A.'s Office, Valenzuela was racing another man, Michael Gevorgyan, on February 25 when Gevorgyan lost control of his car and crashed into a crowd. Two people in the crowd died and a third was injured.

Los Angeles has strict street racing laws, which is why Valenzuela is being charged even though his car didn't kill anyone. He's currently in jail, and prosecutors want him held on $2 million bail. If convicted, Valenzuela faces 33 years to life in prison.

TMZ spoke to Valenzuela the day after the fatal street race -- we had a tip he might have been involved, though he claimed he'd been at his auto shop that night ... and wasn't involved.

#17 ·
I don't consider two cars rolling beside each other, on a 4 lane and doing a few pulls, street racing. Playing around, yes.... street racing no...

Street racing is blocking roads off kinda stuff... or coming to a complete stop with traffic all around and running them out.

2 cars pulling from 60 to 100 on a clear freeway isn't endangering anyone.

It's all relative. Most of us speed... most of us spin tires... it's all illegal and it all can get you killed and the family in the next car as well. If the authorities really want to end this type of activity, stop building 500 h.p. cars...

#19 ·
Life is about moderation......if you "play" once in a great while odds are nobody will get hurt.

If you have no self control and you drive like a mad man all the time that's different, you have problems that WILL cause you a LOT of trouble, no doubt!

#20 ·
If it wasn't done on the street, it wouldn't be called "Street Racing". >:)

Look how popular that show Street Outlaws is. EVERYBODY with a muscle car can relate to it, because EVERYBODY with a muscle car has done the same thing, in one way or another.
Yep, I said EVERYBODY.

Glad you won.

#21 ·
Most boys ( and a few girls) grow up racing anything they can.... (at least they used too)

on foot...
big wheels..
bikes...
soap Box cars...
go-carts...
ATV's...

Is anyone really foolish enough to believe it will just magically stop when your handed the keys to 500 + h.p. ?

#23 ·
What a great thread. It clearly displays the level of maturity (and the extremes of personal rationalization) in certain members. Really.
:deadhorse:

#26 ·
Horsepower absolutely will be regulated - indirectly. With tightening CAFE and NTSB requirements, the days of 700 hp/20 mpg vehicles is swiftly drawing to a close. Buy 'em while you can.

Reactions: Indy392
#27 ·
I've done it a handful of times in my life. Nothing in years. I never did instigate and sometimes it's like we both "just knew" and seemed to gun it about the same time. Really low traffic, more than 2 lane roads, that or shoulders that could easily be used as a full lane. That said, I prefer the track, though it was a rush. Also, I want to point out not all drag strips have a wall running the length of the track...so you could run into another's lane and hurt someone else there.

#30 ·
Just one old phart's take:

There's a world of difference between what the O.P. described doing, and what those idjits in Houston do and then post all over Youtube- gathering by dozens in a parking lot, taking up all lanes of a freeway, after dark, blasting up to highly illegal speeds with other cars following along and innocent drivers ahead.

I've done what the O.P. did when I was younger. And I'll admit at age 51 I still will get the heck on my own 392 when the roads are open and the on-ramp calls. Its the all-out planned and semi-organized street racing (especially with inexpertly modified cars- all engine/nitrous/whatever and no chassis or brake improvements for example) that kills people, not a friendly "how quickly will these things accelerate" burst of throttle on an open stretch of road. You can have a lot of fun, even with another driver, and never actually get (much) over the speed limit or do anything dangerous.

Reactions: RT23
#31 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by dragrcr "But if some mustang comes up beside me on the street and tries something and it is reasonably safe, I am going to thrash him. That's just the way it is, me and my machine against his."

Quote of the year right there! This is how I live when I'm in my Challenger. :grin2:

#36 ·
CONGRATS on having a little fun!

I can't say I live in a small town....I live out on the sticks. But there are some small towns in my area. So I have a 2015 granite crystal Scat Pack. No stripes, stock rims, just little bees badges.

Now when I am in town, and on the highway, I get a lot of looks, and thumbs ups(not a lot of 2015 Challengers on the road out here.) This may sound crazy, but on the highway I always have my cruise set. It keeps me from looking down, and holy ****....I am going 85!

That being said.....I have had a couple ricers do fly-bys, or rev there fart cans at me(no one else around) I pretty much just laugh, or look over and yawn(for some reason they don't like that) But I did have a 2015 GT Mustang come up behind me last week. He slowly passed me(4 lane highway) and then slowed back down next to me checking out the Scat Pack. After a few seconds I look over at him, and smile. He smiled back, and then pointed ahead with a smile. I thought sure....my right leg needed a little stretch, so I shot him a wink. He down shifted and got on it, and I put the skinny pedal to the floor. I only held it there for about 4 seconds, but he was about three cars back, and I was at 90mph already, so I let off. he comes back up next to me(no fly-by) and gives me a thumbs up. I let the cruise control take back over, and he when on down the road. That was pretty fun.

No tickets, no 100+ top end run, no crash.......just a little fun between two car guys.

Just to bad he did not notice my bees ;-)

#37 · (Edited)
20 years ago I was jamming guitar probably playing Metallica, Pantera, etc on my back deck with 6 12's blasting.
I was aiming to a cow pasture and I lived in a spread out neighborhood surrounded by farms.

My neighbor who lives about 3 houses distance to the side gets my attention and was shouting I was scaring his 2 or 3 year old. Damn silly. I've had 3 kids so far and none would be scared....inside a house at that distance, of an electric guitar. Maybe it was my hair that did it. Lol

I had another neighbor get pissed at me about the same time for leaving two nice black marks in an Olds with SBC I built. His kids were in the house well off the road and I was taking some pride in my completed engine swap. He had me stop to complain. I was easier going back then so I let him vent. I didn't do it again simply because it was my neighbor, same with the stacks outside, and I didn't want to crap in my back yard. You never know...

I was young and hope my kids have the sense I did and more.

#38 ·
OK so just throwing this out there. I am no stranger to hard acceleration off the light to the speed limit or maybe 5-10 over sometimes. In Arizona it seems like everyone is looking to race and cut you off at the lights, not to race but more just to do it for some reason.

My 06 Mustang GT has only 300HP but with the hp:weight ratio it is rated to go 0 - 60 in 4.6 seconds.

That's faster than most run of the mill Challengers or Camaros and I've enjoyed blowing their doors off at nearly every light since 06. I've been waiting for the reasonably cost model of the Challenger to match this speed as I'm a big Mopar fan. So finally with the Scat Pack I'm saving up for; I'll be looking forward to taking on some of those Mustangs and getting them back for Mopar!

OK so anyways my point - even with this new super fast Scat Pack 392, the rated HP difference is only .2 GT = 4.6 SP = 4.4 So I'm not really sure how much that speed difference will relate going 0 - 55 or 0-65 off a light. I suspect the difference will not be that dramatic, although hopefully the Scat Pack will sound much better and beat the GT to the next light or 2. I guess what I'm saying is maybe it's time with this one to hang up the idea of being so much quicker than the competition... maybe just being in a GT or a SP you are going to be able to bust down a Camaro as the GT/SP seem pretty dang close with this Scat Pack model.

Oh well I love the Mopars and will just be happy to move up to a more luxurious larger and just a tad faster car which is a MOPAR again. I'm so happy they have put this Scat Pack together - I wish it was cheaper but we all know its worth the money so I'll keep saving my cash and hope I can get mine before they stop selling em!

GO MOPAR!

#46 ·
My 06 Mustang GT has only 300HP but with the hp:weight ratio it is rated to go 0 - 60 in 4.6 seconds.

That's faster than most run of the mill Challengers or Camaros and I've enjoyed blowing their doors off at nearly every light since 06.
Is this one of those "magical" mustang GT's?

Just asking because I don't think I've ever seen that happen, stock for stock....

#39 ·
oh let me also add - my friend told me about the next years Camaro styling and although it's hard to find pics right now but the new model of Camaro Convertible looks absolutely amazing.. I suspect with the Scat Pack's improvements they will boost the engine as well... so it's really an amazing time for American Muscle - I would love that Camaro Convertible, but pretty sure my next buy is the Scat Pack still - can't wait go MOPAR!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.