Dodge Challenger Forum banner

More meat in the rear??

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  70TA-09RT 
#1 · (Edited)
Scat Pack - More meat in the rear??

SCAT PACK SPECIFIC...

I know there is a snow tire thread going on also but I was wondering what size tire I could put on the rears to give it just a little more meat back there and fill in the fender well a tiny bit more?

Im still trying to wrap my hear around how the tire numbers work but I was thinking a 275/45R20 would work back there. Wouldn't that give me a bit more junk in the trunk?

Edit - Looks like Tire Rack shows a 275/40R20 as an optional rear size.
By the way -
This is for my 2015 Scat Pack with 20x9 wheels all around.

#4 ·
I'm sorry I didn't ask what car you have. Guys with classics like me are 8in and running 275 with no problem. So you can go bigger with 9 in wheels. There aren't many options in 275 45 so the more common size is 275 40. Also anything bigger then 275 you may not find fronts to match so u would be running 2 different tires. My advice is just go to tire rack and search by size. Click the option that says "different size rear" and play. There is a good calculator that will tell you how your speedo will change if any

#8 · (Edited)
275/35/20 Frnt & 295/40/20 Rear

I run Staggered set up 275s in front 295s in rear. I wanted to fill wheel wells and get a little bit of an "old school stance".
With ESP turned off handles great and I haven't noticed any loss in mpg(still getting 22-24mpg freeway, * people often wonder about wide tires affecting gas milage) 275/35/20 Frnt & 295/40/20 Rear , used a Diablo tuner to recalibrate speedo.

Oops ,didnt realize I was posting in wrong forum & I couldnt find the "delete Button"

#9 · (Edited)
I run Staggered set up 275s in front 295s in rear. I wanted to fill wheel wells and get a little bit of an "old school stance".
With ESP turned off handles great and I haven't noticed any loss in mpg(still getting 22-24mpg freeway, * people often wonder about wide tires affecting gas milage) 275/35/20 Frnt & 295/40/20 Rear , used a Diablo tuner to recalibrate speedo.

Oops ,didnt realize I was posting in wrong forum & I couldnt find the "delete Button"
No sweat gmanstan! Your info still applies regarding the tune. Im eagerly looking forward to diablo coming out with a 2015 tune!!

You mean diameter or width? Is be scared to run 275 40 up front. I'd go 255 45 up front. Buldge and hard cornering is scary to me.

Jmo tho
Im looking just for backs. I plan on keeping the fronts at 245/45 20. The rears is where I want a little more width AND sidewall. I would like it to have a slightly wider stance in the rear as well as fill up the rear well a little more.

I did some reading last night and Im still kinda confused to be honest. I think I understand that the first number is the overall width, the second number is the ratio or percentage of the tire that is the side wall.

With that in mind, a 245/45 tire has a 110mm sidewall. A 275/40 tire has a 110 sidewall!! So in theory, the 275/40 will NOT fill up the wheel well anymore than the stocks? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks to all for the info so far by the way.

#10 ·
I know there is a snow tire thread going on also but I was wondering what size tire I could put on the rears to give it just a little more meat back there and fill in the fender well a tiny bit more?

Im still trying to wrap my hear around how the tire numbers work but I was thinking a 275/45R20 would work back there. Wouldn't that give me a bit more junk in the trunk?

Edit - Looks like Tire Rack shows a 275/40R20 as an optional rear size.
By the way -
This is for my 2015 Scat Pack with 20x9 wheels all around.
275/40R20 is almost the exact diameter of our stock 245/45s. There is no mystery to the numbers:

First number (245, 275) is the tread width in mm

Second number (45,40) is the sidewall height expressed as a percentage of the tread width. So a 245/45 has a 110.25mm (245*.45) sidewall. A 275/40 has a 110mm (275*.40) sidewall - virtually identical.

Third number is the wheel diameter (i.e. inside diameter of the tire) and unless you change your wheel size is not something you can vary.

1010tires has a tire calculator here Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing that will give you a detailed comparison of your stock tire to other sizes. The generally accepted tolerance in diameter is +-3% from OE spec. Also you do not want to use too wide or too narrow of a tire for your wheel. As I recall, the ideal tread width should be within ~2" of the wheel width

Reactions: iMerlin
#11 ·
Good link thanks 15RT! I like how it shows the difference between the stock size and the other selections. But according to this there really isn't any other tire sizes other than the 275/40R20s that will fit well...

#12 ·
Unfortunately my budget wouldnt support the 285s .seems like they're a perfect compromise just a little taller & wider. But I found the 295s to be a lot cheaper and offered by quite a few more manufactures . They were11.7" wide (its pushing the "2" rule" a little but tire shops assured me that was ok on a 9"rim, unless road racing) they're about1" wider 3/4" taller than the 275s this changes engine revs about 1.4% , Fills up the wheelwell nicely with a little less feel of extreme acceleration but, with red line set up just a touch brings down your 0-60 time as you dont shift(wheel spin) right before the 60 mph mark. I have not noticed any excessive sidewall flex in cornering. But it might be nice to get 10" wide wheels(like thee vipers do) Any word on 10" wide ScatPac ?

This post has been deleted
#19 · (Edited)
I wish I could get my SPAG Wheels in a 10" in the rear. Then putting more meat would be easy. I just love these wheels. I probably won't be spending the dough on rears until I need to replace my stock wheels anyway. But Im really interested in seeing what others are doing.

I know some folks have put larger wheels and tires on their Scat Pack but has anyone put larger tires on the stock wheels yet? Would love to see pics.

Edit... sorry yawl... I just noticed this thread was moved to the tire specific forum. That is probably why there has been confusion about what wheels I was talking about.

Note to the mods... I originally started this thread in the Scat Pack section because I was asking a Scat Pack wheel specific question. It would be great to be able to modify the title of the thread to reflect the topic is Scat Pack specific to avoid confusion. I should've started it here in the first place and provided the wheel details then. My bad.

#20 ·
I have run a 315/35/20 on the 20x9 wheels and never had a issue you loose a little of the contact patch... before everyone starts saying it won't work it does work never had any issues with any of the driving only problem is finding that size tire right now. But come spring it will be plentiful actually the 10" is perfect for the 315 :guiness:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.