Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Will you do the Hellcat Air Catcher headlight eye mod?

Poll: Will you do the Hellcat Air Catcher (headlight eye) mod?

30K views 65 replies 46 participants last post by  Byrdman 
#1 ·
Seems like an easy way to get more cold air into the air box or engine compartment.

Who's going to do it?
Answer the poll & post up why or why not you will or won't be doing this!

#3 ·
I am also doing it with the oem hellcat parts....good price..
i dont know if it will add hp but i dont really care i do it for the looks..

i mean i never seen a car on the road that i know has this kind of setup....it be cool to show off my friends/family....

#4 ·
Not doing it. I see no need and I have no desire.

Justin

#8 · (Edited)
Not.

As YO-EL pointed out in another thread, there seems to be no functional downside, but as a non-racing DD I don't think I would get any appreciable gain, either. Also, as a person who is OCD about their car, the hole would bug me, especially being only on one side, but not the other. :notallthere:

Reactions: ElPasoBob
#9 ·
It would be nice to see the data justifying the mod.

On the flipside, just imagine what this could do when someone wants to supercharge a 5.7L or 392.

#10 ·
No. I checked my air yesterday. It was 54 degrees outside air and the intake air was 57 degrees. I have seen as much as 10 degrees difference when driving and I know when I stop at a light the difference goes way up. For normal driving, this mod makes no sense. I'm not convinced it makes any sense for racing either. Since the Scatpack already has a cold air intake, I think the main problem is heat soak and maybe insulating the box around the filter would help but I'm not interested in that either. I understand people who want to race their cars will try anything to get a little advantage. I say to them go for it.

#11 ·
on my 2015 SRT absolutely. I'm going to use the stock hellcat parts, i've not liked any of the cheaper PVC and flex tubes others have used. For me it needs to look stock and quality.

Reactions: Hemzilla
#14 ·
The cool factor is pretty high, but the actual gain is almost microscopic. I'm eventually getting a shaker hood, but even if I WASN'T, I find no reason to do it.
The biggest gain comes with the Hellcat supercharger, but it has almost NOTHING to do with intake temperatures. It has to do with total VOLUME of air being gulped by the supercharger. If you knew how much air was being sucked by that supercharger at speed, you would see why the additional volume provided by the opening would make a huge difference.

#22 ·
The hellcat air box is one of the first things I'm doing to my challenger when I drive it off of the lot. That and a Green air filter.

Reactions: YO-EL
#23 · (Edited)
I already popped out the driver's side plug and seeing 0-10 degrees over ambient temp with the stock intake.

Planning on installing the hellcat box, tube, and charger clean air tube, but having a hard time swallowing the shipping charges the popular suppliers quoted. How it costs 50 or 75 bucks to ship is beyond me.

Any suppliers of these parts at a reasonable price in Southern California?

#27 ·
Cool. I'm still getting used to all the gauge options and gadgetry on mine. Been monitoring intake temps since I learned of this mod. Hoping it would release some intake growl and add to the neat factor of an already awesome car.

#30 ·
popped my hellcat intake in a couple weeks ago. Didnt notice any difference, but that's probably because i put it on with less than 100 miles on the odometer and im a mile in the sky

#32 ·
I put in the HC airbox & tube a couple months ago. And I popped out the passenger side too and attached a "rubber" elbow so the air is directed to the lower engine compartment. Now both sides look the same from the front.

My reason is just for the cool factor (no pun intended). I couldn't care less if it helps with actual cooling or slight power gain.

#33 ·
anyone knows part number from the headlight plug?

#39 ·
The shaker has a full cold air intake already, no need for the Hellcat mod there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.