Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Scat Pack Aftermarket Improvements

33K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  Gormly 
#1 ·
Being new to the Challenger (and just ordering a Scat)...

What are the performance enhancements one could expect to "bolt on" in the near future?

More HP, Better MPG? (not that it needs the former)

I am not well versed in these kinds of things (yet) but I am just curious to know what you all think will be available for the new model year and I think I am going to be very involved with my new baby :)

#2 ·
Not a ton of stuff out there already besides a few things that carry over.

Catch cans are a must but besides that you can do cooler thermostats, cold air intakes, throttle bodies, cam, headers, exhaust, tuner/tuning

As for me, I'm just waiting for tuning to become avail so I can go the aftermarket cam/headers route. You could also get a set of ported heads/thitek heads for more gains but honestly the stock apache heads these cars come with are kick ass anyway so I'd just avoid messing with the heads. Cam is where it's at IMO. You could also go the supercharging route down the road but would also require forged pistons in most applications.

It all depends on what your plans are for the car. Everyone is different and looking for different things. This is just my take on it.

Reactions: iMerlin
#6 ·
Not a ton of stuff out there already besides a few things that carry over.

It all depends on what your plans are for the car. Everyone is different and looking for different things. This is just my take on it.
Well I have a lot of extra time on my hands and I have never really been into cars (engine/performance wise) but I want to learn but more importantly take care of my new car.

Mostly I want to do what I should be doing. Like the catch can, the prevailing thought among those who seem to be experts say put one in. Same with CAI (or at least "better" filters)
So mainly I am really just looking for what a relatively newbie should do to protect and somewhat improve the car, make it the best it can be without taking the engine apart.

I lurked this forum for a while before I decided to get a Challenger and I have seen a huge and fantastic community, one I want to be part of and contribute to eventually.

#4 ·
Engine and under hood mods maybe but things like sway bars, exhaust and other things may not work. thermostats, cai, headers, cam and such will be from previous years 392. Just need the tuning to be available.

#20 ·
They should considering that's what the new SRT models are using. Just different lettering (Powered by SRT) for the Scat Pack.

#21 ·
I think the main attraction to a aftermarket Cat-back, besides the increased sound quality, is potentially a bit more power and fuel economy from going from 2.75" (?) pipes to full 3" pipes, but also some weight savings. Granted you'll pick up some heft going to a larger pipe, but I still would imagine a 15lb savings would be possible.

Then again 15lbs on a 4200lb car isn't really anything..

#22 ·
Bigger piping isn't always better. Along with the Scat Pack, SRT cars also get 2.75 inch exhaust piping. Going to 3" exhaust could actually hurt performance over gaining anything. Only way you'll be certain it doesn't lose power is if you're running a stroker or forced induction build. But on a mildly modified or stock car, running bigger exhaust isn't always better. If the SRT engies wanted to put 3" inch exhaust from the factory onto the car they definately could have if it was going to increase performance. They went with 2.75 inch for a reason.

Reactions: owenspackman
#23 ·
I believe there will be zero performance gain from any cat back compared to the factory exhaust. If you want to change the exhaust, do it only for a change of sound.

#26 ·
My Scat Pack will be the first vehicle that I leave the factory exhaust untouched. I think the sound clips I've heard sound fantastic.... better than my R/T with the Corsa Sport installed.

Frankly, I want my car quite at low speeds and cruising, but really open up when I get into the throttle. The factory exhaust really seems to fit the bill.

#32 ·
Would the sound damage the environment?
Actually, yes. Loud un-natural sound can cause some birds not to lay eggs. It can scare off some predators so that their prey species' population gets too large for the local environment, depleting natural food resources. The Federal government regulates the maximum sound levels from airplanes to reduce the impact on near-airport ecosystems for these reasons (and to stop complaints from the fools who built their homes near an airport.

Plus devout tree-huggers don't want anyone to have fun - they want only "natural" noises in their pristine world.

#34 ·
Plus devout tree-huggers don't want anyone to have fun - they want only "natural" noises in their pristine world..
Shhhhh, if you listen very closely, you can hear the faint sounds of Groovy Goosebump and his significant-other-who-is-in-every-way-his-equal-and-who-may-or-may-not-be-a-member-of-the-transgendered-community, Moonbeam Sunpetal crunching their early morning glueten free, all natural, free trade, locally sourced, soy-based-HFCS-free granola. :pimp:

#39 · (Edited)
Isn't our exhaust 50 state compliant? How can a local ordinance take precedence over federal certification?
It can because the Federal government is not responsible for controlling every aspect of our lives...contrary to what some believe. The Second Ammendment (more important than any Federal "certification") says it is legal for me to own a firearm, yet some cities say it is not legal to possess one. California has tighter emmission limits than the Federal limits. Etc. etc. Frankly I can't believe this is even mentioned.

#40 ·
Sorrry. I was referring to the sound level output of a factory automotive exhaust, not the legality or constitutional right of possession of a deadly weapon. And the second amendment says you can OWN a firearm, not carry it wherever you feel like it. A carry permit is not 50 state compliant; exhaust certification is, including California.

#46 ·
Can somebody post a picture of the door sills please?

#48 ·
Welcome to the Challenger Club :guiness: Not to burst anyone's bubble but Fiat has decided to lock down the PCM's on this car so doing any type of major modifications is going to take some time if you all remember in 2011 companies were hacking up the harness and swapping out the PCM from the 10's so they could do major modifications. I would stay away until the aftermarket get's a chance to figure out what can be done with the new cars and if they can access the PCM.
If your going to do any modifications I would look at working on the Chassis components adding strut braces will firm up the car also adding sub-frame connectors will help you to plant that power to the ground, increasing the tire sizes is a must also 275/40/20 will work great with your 9" wheels... lowering springs will work just fine also

Part of building a car is making the changes that you want and envision :guiness:

Reactions: Gormly and YO-EL
#51 ·

If your going to do any modifications I would look at working on the Chassis components adding strut braces will firm up the car also adding sub-frame connectors will help you to plant that power to the ground, increasing the tire sizes is a must also 275/40/20 will work great with your 9" wheels... lowering springs will work just fine also

Part of building a car is making the changes that you want and envision :guiness:
Thanks for that. Are there already strut braces for this model year 2015? If so does anyone have a link/source?

I'd like to get things like that ordered ahead of time for when it comes in. I have watched some technical videos explaining the need for these and it makes perfect sense to me. So I'd like to get front and rear tower braces pronto.

I think I am going to finally start becoming a "car guy" :grin2:

The wheels I know nothing about so will have to learn, I really have no idea what will fit what etc.

#53 ·
I have the Petty front strut brace and a BT catch can already on my Scat Pack. The front strut brace fit just like my 2014 R/T.

The BT catch can also installed with zero problems.

#58 ·
Just bolts right on. No drilling required. I torqued the nuts back to 25 ft lbs.

Reactions: Gormly
#60 ·
There is a center hole for the petty strut tower brace to bolt to the center of the firewall area as well. I don't know how much more effective it is with that intact compared to just having the brace bolted down to each of the towers but you may as well do the job right instead of half assing it. Go ahead and drill the hold that is needed and bolt to the center so it's held on in 3 places instead of two. They didn't put it there for nothing after all.

#62 ·
There is a center hole for the petty strut tower brace to bolt to the center of the firewall area as well. I don't know how much more effective it is with that intact compared to just having the brace bolted down to each of the towers but you may as well do the job right instead of half assing it. Go ahead and drill the hold that is needed and bolt to the center so it's held on in 3 places instead of two. They didn't put it there for nothing after all.
I agree, if there's a hole it must be for a reason but while I certainly do not claim to be an engineer I have seen a few firewalls over the years, aren't they just pieces of sheet metal in the center? Is that section in any way structural or is there a brace connected to the frame in that area? If not, then the attachment would mean nothing no? Also any stress could conceivable distort the firewall.

I am just curious, not being well versed in this stuff. I think I'd rather goes with the two bolt version to keep it stock if needed at some point in the future, drilling holes makes me nervous :wink3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.