Dodge Challenger Forum banner

where is the oil?

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  jet66 
#1 ·
I installed a UPR catch can on my SPS and drove it 300 miles. Put a cup under it, opened the spicket and not a drop. Drove another 200 miles and did same......nary a drop. disassembled bottom can and looked in and saw approximately 1/8 teaspoon of oil. Not enough to flow over the top of the slight drain tube protrusion into bottom of can. Is this normal?

My install is correct as far as I can tell.

#8 ·
Thanks.....I'll assume this is the normal rate of collection for the 500 miles I've driven since the install of the UPR.

BTW, I'm happy with the design, fabrication, fit and finish of this product.......good price on ebay too.....now if only I could boost my confidence in this thing....cuda340, I think you convinced me!!

#9 ·
I think a lot depends on how you drive the car. A car that is granny driven is not going to collect as much as one that gets a lot of wide open throttle runs or one that gets wound out in every gear, every chance I get :)

I emptied mine when I put it away last November and have put maybe 2000 miles on it since I took it out early April. Just emptied it today and had maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons in it.

#11 ·
You will actually collect more blow by in your catch can cruising down the highway versus driving it hard.

And to the op - don't worry, it will take a bit to collect some :)

#10 ·
You won't get a whole lot of oil in your can over a few hundred miles in warmer weather. I don't with my Scat. I have a Monster can on mine and it could easily get dumped once a year however, I dump mine at every oil change, approx 3500 miles and get maybe a heavy teaspoon. The URP catch can on my wife's '15 Ram 2500 collects a bunch of oil and I dump what's in the can every other week, probably 2-3 tablespoons. Her can requires close monitoring in the cooler months and winter due to the addition of condensation build up. Either vehicle, I don't want this oily contaminated entering my clean intake tracks. When I check my intake tubes and throttle bodies they are spotless clean inside.

#13 ·
Yes they work and yes everyone should have one. I check and drain mine every couple thousand miles. Give it time you will get oil.

#14 · (Edited)
I finally installed a can on my Shaker yesterday. By the time I was finished, it was late so I only took a quick spin around the block. Came back home and immediately unscrewed the can to check for oil. Nothing. Then I thought to myself, "You idiot. You drove less than 1 mile. What did you expect? A full can!?!" :notallthere:

#15 ·
Your post made me laugh....I'm guilty as charged.
Does oil collection in the can depend on how well your combustion chamber seals(ring seal/valve guides) and how much vacuum(driving conditions) your engine makes? So in effect, those that poo-poo the factory recommended break in procedures should maybe take note. I'm no expert by far, just exchanging ideas.

#17 ·
If you run your car hard like I do at the drag strip you will be surprised on how much blow by there really is. Casual driving more than likely will produce very little. Before I bought mine I occasionally had a little puff of smoke blow out the pipes and this was usually after running it hard earlier before I shut it down and after reading up on them here and talking with a few Mopar guys I found out this is a must do mod to keep the intake clean.

#22 ·
This. I drive a lot of miles, about 500 per week (both in my current SP and my previous Charger R/T) but they are mainly highway cruising. I drain my can every month, and so far I have seen hardly any in the two times I checked it with the Scat Pack. I have the UPR with a drain on the bottom, and after just getting a dribble this month (6k miles on the clock,) I decided to open it and take a look. There was oil in it coating the bottom, but not much else to speak of. In my Charger, I would probably get a teaspoon or two every month. Now, the UPR has a baffle system, so I'm thinking that once it becomes saturated I'll see more in the can. My old car had a BT can with a baffle system that is much smaller than what the UPR came with, and it had more oil in it each month than what I'm seeing with the Scat Pack right now.

On the other hand, my wife's RAM w/Hemi and BT can is anywhere from half full to just about full every month. She has just under 30k miles in almost 3 years, but almost all of her driving is in heavy traffic or pulling her boat, where her engine is being revved from idle to 'working load' a lot more frequently.

#18 ·
Mopar CAI vs K&N CAI

I have a 2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus that I have not done any mods to yet but I have been doing my homework & searching around for the best CAI for my car. Based on Mopar's website their CAI will boost both Torque and HP by 10. Based on K&N's website their CAI will boost HP by 8.09. Now the question is has anybody actually used the Mopar CAI and if so has it lived up to this? Next question is if Mopar CAI does in fact live up to this and you get more HP from it then you would the K&N why do so many people go with the K&N CAI? Please help me, all input is appreciated. Thank you.

#19 ·
Any CAI will give about 4 to 6 hp on average but dont expect any major increases with them. They are mostly for engine bay bling. I bought my K&N Typhoon because of price and I got 2hp overall and 7hp peak with 5 ft lbs of torque with my Scat based on dyno runs. Not a lot so dont get excited for any major gains if you even get any at all with yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.