Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Why the Gas Guzzler Tax on M6 cars?

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  MYFIRSTMOPAR 
#1 ·
Someone will have to explain the reasoning behind the gas guzzler tax on my M6 Scat pack. Today I drove up to Newport News VA, about a 500 mile trip. My car only has 1100 miles on it now, but on this trip I averaged of 24.3 MPG! That is a heck of a lot better than my 2013 Ram 1500 which tries hard to get 18mpg on a similar trip. The Ram didn't have a gas guzzler tax.

Now to be honest around town I am averaging about 15.6, spirited driving!

#4 ·
I just don't understand why people drive hybrids, prius, whatever I got 40MPG in my SCAT PACK m6 going down hill the other day on the highway. Now if only I could find a highway that is down hill both ways...

#6 ·
I feel your pain. When I registered my out-of-state purchased 2009 SRT in NJ, I reasoned with the DMV that the gas guzzler tax should not be included in the computation of the 7% sales tax. I told them that it was not part of Dodge's sales price and it would constitute a tax on a tax. They agree and I saved $123. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

#7 ·
The Feds don't care about your particular mileage. They care about their standardized tests, which show that the M6 gets mileage below the minimum for a "gas guzzler". The A8 gets higher mileage due to the MDS system. Driven the same way as the M6, the A8 gets better mileage. Suck it up, you just missed the boat.

#8 ·
Maybe the question we should be asking is why we have gotten to the point with taxes where this is even a question. Even though you aren't required to pay this tax, because you can simply not purchase the car, you are being taxed because of your behavior, lifestyle, success, ect. These types of "taxes" have been and are becoming far too common, and I'm sure there will be more to come.
The representation we are supposed to receive is not meeting the taxation we pay. I guess the lessons of the past that brought about the concept of our country have been forgotten, or ignored, and we are going to repeat history, to one degree or another. And for anyone who says that this is a political post, it is not, it is about government.

#10 ·
Someone will have to explain the reasoning behind the gas guzzler tax on my M6 Scat pack. Today I drove up to Newport News VA, about a 500 mile trip. My car only has 1100 miles on it now, but on this trip I averaged of 24.3 MPG! That is a heck of a lot better than my 2013 Ram 1500 which tries hard to get 18mpg on a similar trip. The Ram didn't have a gas guzzler tax.

Now to be honest around town I am averaging about 15.6, spirited driving!
Trucks are exempt from the tax

#13 ·
Trucks are also exempt from the Federal C.A.F.E standard as well. Why should any car sold in the USA have a gas guzzler tax? We pay more taxes every time we fill the tanks on our so called "gas guzzlers".

#15 · (Edited)
Plus I've heard "tax by miles driven" is being debated in some circles in the government. So those that have the SP M6 have to pay a GG tax, taxes on each gallon of gas purchased, and eventually a tax based on miles driven. One (of several) selling points to me for buying the SP A8 was there wasn't a GG tax...I already paid that when I bought my '09 300C SRT8, and I didn't want to do it again. The government still doesn't seem to understand that taxing an activity will result is less of that activity, so when that activity doesn't bring in the income initially planned on (i.e. people will move closer to their jobs or cut down on road trips), they'll just think of another tax to add on something else (like cubic inches...man that would suck on our 392's!). Vicious circle. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the $2.45 gas (well, $2.87 for 91 octane here in Tampa) and enjoying all my SP has to offer!

#17 ·
Actually the U.S. GDP is almost 18 Trillion. The U.S. debt is slightly more than that. The U.S. GDP is about 22% of the entire world. Our economy is about 6 time larger than the Russian economy. I might add our economy seems to be poorly managed.
:surprise:

#18 ·
If we are going to tax normal patriotic Americans for driving muscle cars, we should likewise tax Prius drivers and tree huggers with a "Dork Tax." We need to be equitable.

Better yet, how about getting rid of all FED income taxes and replace with either Flat Tax or Consumption based taxes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: wasp392
#19 ·
The actual reasoning is the MDS in the A8. that drops it down to 4 cylinders in highway driving. The A8 is also more efficient with 8 speeds. its only about a 2MPG difference but it made the cut. I got 26 MPG on a recent trip (about 5 hours one way). I was fairly impressed.

#20 ·
here in Ohio they are talking about taxing "vapes" like Tobacco (which is B.S.) and doubling the tax on cigars. Well I gave up the 100 bucks a week in cigars and went to vapes, (you can vape in your car and in public, if someone gets whiny it is not smoke, tell their candy asses to STFU) but with the talk of raising taxes on it I quit vaping too. Screw John Kasich, he is a coward and a punk.

#21 ·
The system of gov and tax is completely broken.
"They" will never change it.
Bureaucratic self preservation guarantees that.

#28 ·
It was the worst of times...it was the best of times...

At least we're all driving Scat Packs for ~$40k as the world ends ;)

#30 ·
For only one fiftieth of the cost of the car, I can just ignore it. If it was a 12K Nissan Versa or a Kia Rio, I would care. As it is, I got what I wanted, that's all that matters to me.

#31 ·
And this is one of the reasons the Feds keep coming up with new taxes.

#32 ·
Feds, Romans, Greeks, Aztecs, the British Empire, Communist China, someday the Republic, the Federation, and the Klingon Empire. Taxes always have been, and always will be. Those who spend our money will always come up with imaginative ways to raise it. Just facts of life, Death and Taxes, no matter where, or when, you are.

#33 ·
I believe this defines insanity. Keep doing the same and expect a different result.

Reactions: zenmedic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.