Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 R/T Classic - 1st Oil Change

8K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  DJJimGreen 
#1 ·
Well, I did the first oil change on the 2015 R/T today -- 975 miles. Got rid of the factory fill and went to the best oil I could find (Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20) and a Royal Purple 20-820 filter.

With my RR-56 Race Ramps, it was an easy job, even for my tired 67 year old butt. Maybe its my imagination but it seems to run smoother and quieter already!!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: PSM450
#4 · (Edited)
Good deal, I'm gonna start running this Penzoil next oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Yep. PU is not cheap but worth it. If you can't find it locally you can get it at Amazon. Was going to give you a link but could not get it to work.

Reactions: Slidd
#3 ·
Don't forget to reset the engine oil clock. Press your start button twice with your foot off of the brake pedal, this will put it in run mode, press the gas pedal to the floor and back up 3 times, then press the start button again and it will shut it all off. Trust that clock for your oil changes, it's based on your driving habits. You'll go more than 6,000 miles on oil changes running synthetic.

#6 ·
The reset procedure you describe is correct (I actually read the Owner's Guide!!). However, I am not going to reset for this first change. I want to see what the car tells me first. I will be changing every 5,000 miles minimum no matter what the oil life monitor says.

#5 ·
Any reason for choosing the Pennzoil over all the others? I did my first change with Castrol GTX and was considering using Castrol Edge 5w20 when I switch over to synthetic.

#7 ·
I did a lot of research on various forums (most prominently BITOG) and a good number of folks think that there is no better oil than Penzoil Platinum Ultra. That coupled with the fact that Dodge recommends Penzoil made it an easy decision. I have used Mobil 1 in most of my other vehicles over the years with great success. I am sure that oil as well as others would work just fine as long as they meet Chrysler specifications.

#8 ·
Just wanted to say... That is a real nice looking car. !

Reactions: Eagle1450
#11 ·
Eagle 1450, great looking car. Those are the best looking wheels on a Challenger in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I fell in love with the Granite Crystal Metallic color and the Classic wheels. Could not resist the car.

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply. I too have been using Mobil 1 for a long time in all my other vehicles including my Harley and was very surprised to find out that it hasn't yet been approved for Chrysler's MS-6395 spec. That's why i'm considering something else for the Challenger.

#12 ·
What year and model HD do you have? I have owned 6. My current bike is an 2006 FXD35. Used to sell the HD bikes at a dealership in VA after I retired from the USAF. I currently use Syn 3 in my bike (engine, transmission, and primary chain case).

#19 ·
Thanks, those are HD Thunderstar wheels, just put them on last spring, along with new Michelins.

#23 ·
You're going to leave the factory oil fill in until it tells you to change? I wouldn't do that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

No sir. I definitely would not do that. The factory fill is gone at 975 miles. The car now has a fresh fill of Penzoil Platinum Ultra 5W-20 in it. Will get a change every 5K miles or 6 months whichever occurs first.

Reactions: Slidd
#24 ·
I did a little research on the oil & filter you decided to use and definitely think you made some great choices, I might just use them myself. How about getting the filter off? I have heard that they are installed way too tight from the factory, was yours? Mine came off pretty easily but my wife's Ram 1500 was another story...

#25 ·
I was expecting a tight filter and was prepared to deal with it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the filter came off fairly easily. It seemed to be torqued close to spec. The same was true when I changed the oil for the first time in my 2014 Ram 1500. Maybe the factories are finally getting it right!

#27 ·
I'm old school, I'd get that factory oil out of there very early, then do oil changes at mileage intervals, just like Eagle1450 is doing, I will never go by the OLM especially if I bought the vehicle (not leased it). In my mind 7800 is too much for conventional oil, but this is just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.