Dodge Challenger Forum banner

If you had it to do all over again....

5K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  JustinHEMI 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm seriously thinking of selling my B5 "10 R/T baby and buying a 15 SRT. Many here have seen pics of my car in my posts. I have put alot of time, effort and money into my 2010; but, don't drive it often. When I do drive it, it makes me feel 21 all over again; but, I am always worried about it being scratched, dented or vandalized, so I only take it out for special occasions or short cruizes. . If I bought a newer SRT it would be my "beater"-not in the terms of abusing it; however, that it would be my daily driver. Due to knee issues, I'm looking at getting the 8spd auto. My current Challenger has a M6. It is supercharged, so I know I'll be giving up a little on the hp.

My question, to all of you that have had a 08-14 Challenger and have upgraded to a 15, and have owned for more than 6 months- do you feel the upgrade was worth it, or do you feel, you just bought the same car with some new bells and whistles? Please be honest and don't stroke your egos. If you could do it all over again, would you have kept your prior Challenger or still bought the 15? I'm particularly interested in fit, finish, and daily drive-ability. Is the suspension that much better to warrant a change? Is the interior that much better?

TIA for all honest answers/input. :wink3:

#3 · (Edited)
I had a 2012 RT, then a 2013 RT Classic that I put a fair amount of $$ into, and now '15 SRT A8. I loved my 2013 RTC, but these 2015s are a whole different beast. The A8 and the 392 are absolutely amazing (the A8 being the primary reason I traded in my 2013 RT). The adjustable suspension is cool, although I usually keep it in sport mode unless my wife is in the car, then it goes to street mode. Fit and finish (including paint) are about the same as my old RT, but unlike others I think the 2015 interior was a step in the right direction.

So in my personal opinion the upgrade was worth it and I would do it again. I know you have a blower, and I traded in my RT before I got to that point, so perhaps the 392 won't be that much of a noticeable improvement. But I'm sure digging it (and I drive it daily).

#4 ·
For me it was definitely worth it since I had a 2010 SE and got into a 2015 RT. Now I had a lot of time, effort, and money in my SE but I knew I was never going to get the amount of power out of it that I wanted. Minus the extreme power difference, I think if I had a 2010 RT the only way I would give it up for a new one would be for a scat pack ,srt or hellcat of course lol. I love the new interior a thousand times more than the old and that alone would be almost enough to upgrade. The new interior feels geared toward the driver and is just plain bad A*&!!! The new digital speedometer is easy to read and I like all the functions it offers and I think it looks cleaner than the older models. I like the new look of the front grill vs the old along with the tail lights. As a matter of fact I cant think of anything I don't really like about my car. I say take one out for a ride and see what you think, but I dont think you could go wrong by upgrading to a SRT.

Attachments

#5 ·
I own a 2011 R/T, I'm not sure I would trade it in for a 2015. My 372 HP is fine for me. I like the simple look of the interior. Not a fan of an overload of buttons. I only drive my Challenger 3 days out of the week and rarely do I get on it until I hit the freeway from a dead stop.

Not to say I wouldn't mind a scatpack shaker. I think I will hold on to my Challenger.

#28 ·
I own a 2011 R/T, I'm not sure I would trade it in for a 2015. My 372 HP is fine for me. I like the simple look of the interior. Not a fan of an overload of buttons.
This is almost exactly me and my mindset----except I run a 2012 R/T. She's my daily driver and I love driving her. I have only a 4-mile commute to work and drive under 7K miles per year, but every mile brings smiles.

Yeah, the '15 has many more options/features, but to me it's way too busy with too many buttons. I think the power of my tuned '12 5.7 is plenty, and I love the low cost of ownership.

Good luck to all who are making the jump. Enjoy.

#6 ·
I did do it all over again, twice.

I had a '14 R/T which I traded on a '15 Scat Pack which I'm trading on a '15 Scat Pack Shaker.

The '15 is worlds beyond the '14, IMO. When I got into my '14 for the last time, after having driven the '15, I felt like I was stepping back 10 years.

Yes, all around, it is "that" much better..., for me.

YMMV.

justin

#7 ·
There are many things I like about my Scat Pack, but there are some things I like about my base 2009 R/T better than the 2015. Little things like the manual climate control, the REQ radio, the manual day/night mirror, the way the remote mirrors work, and the way the electric driver seat works.

Would I do it over again, yes. I guess I just like newer stuff and my R/T while still looked very good, it no longer looked brand new. I wouldn't likely want to trade if my R/T was upgraded to the point yours is since it will be very difficult to get a return on all the modifications; and still looked new.

My 2009 was completely stock (I like to keep my stuff stock) and was lured to the 2015 by the active exhaust, the performance pages, the fancy digital instrument panel, and that the six-speed shifter works better than it did in the 2009. The extra power & braking the 2015 has is just a bonus (I didn't often use all the power the 5.7L had).

One thing that threw me over the fence was my 2009 had quite a few dings & scratches, but was otherwise a good running car. The 2015 was new (obviously) and I really liked the Jazz Blue. And when the Jeep Renegade came out, I got one to use for winter driving so I traded the 2009 in on the Jeep. This will help to prevent dings on the 2015.

#8 ·
I went from a 2012 R/T to a 2015 R/T Plus so I can't comment on horsepower & suspension differences. I bought the 2015 for the color (sublime green), the interior, and the A8 transmission. Those 3 things were worth the upgrade to me. I love the car a lot, more than I thought I would.

With that said, I plan on buying another Challenger in a couple years (in addition to this one) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 08-14 model. I think they're just as valid and cool as the 2015, just different in varying ways. Personally, if I had done all the mods you have done I would keep what I have. All the new things about the 2015 are cool and great but when it all comes down to it, a pre-2014 and a 2015 are both awesome muscle cars and ultimately that's what matters most to me.

#11 ·
I moved from a 2014 M6 Blacktop to my SP. When the 2015's came out, I knew I had to have one. The cars just aren't even comparable.

The 2015 is better in every way.

Also, while you may be giving up a little power... you will be gaining usable performance, as the 392/A8 combo will out perform your current 5.7L SC / 6M combo. Just wait until you feel the A8 shift in person. :)

The 2014 wasn't a bad car, but the 2015 makes me regret ever buying it.

#12 · (Edited)
I had a 2011 r/t and upgraded to a 2015 srt... this new car is better in every single way.

My last car had so many memories that went along with it. It introduced me to all the Mopar friends I have now and even got me some business since I took so any photos of it. I was in love with the Toxic Ornage color and people always thought it cost much ore than it did... the color was beautiful when the sun hit it.

However... the new car is just simply better.

Objectively, there is not a single thing I can think of that the older car was better at. Obviously going from an r/t to an srt was going to get me an improvement anyway... but the newer gauges, dash, radio, seats, ect are a much better place to sit than before.

the stitching on the center console and seats and the gloss trim around the vents are much better than even the 2015 charger srt. Dont believe me, squeeze the leather on the center console on both if you get a chance.. the challengers is padded.

The 18 speaker HK system is better.. the engine, 8 speed transmission, brakes, suspension are all better. The computer settings (track/sport) are like nothing i ever felt... and took me back to my days of driving an Evo X the way they downshift lol

Looks are subjective, you can like the newer headlights and taillights more like i do... or you can like the older style.. but the performance and quality cant be denied.

The 15s are a much better car... 6000+ miles and no regrets

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great responses. I've already come to the realization, I am going to lose money on my mods. It's the nature of the game. My local dealer was kind enough to allow me to order a SRT to my specs , this week, with no money down and the option not to buy if I feel the difference in driving experience is not that much between my 10 RT and the new SRT. I ordered a white A8, sunroof, nav, black Nappa seats, silver stripes.
I am taking the RT to Alb. NM this weekend for a MOPAR show, and then plan to put it up for sale. I'm sure I'll get more selling it myself than trading it in. I know I will miss it. Had a lot of fun, modding it to where it is now. Someone will get a great deal. If, for some reason, I'm not impressed with the new SRT (which I don't feel will be the case), I'll do without for a bit and maybe try a used Hellcat, if I can find one.

Again, Thanks for all the positive input, to help me make my decision. :cheers:

#23 ·
Thanks for all the great responses. I've already come to the realization, I am going to lose money on my mods. It's the nature of the game. My local dealer was kind enough to allow me to order a SRT to my specs , this week, with no money down and the option not to buy if I feel the difference in driving experience is not that much between my 10 RT and the new SRT. I ordered a white A8, sunroof, nav, black Nappa seats, silver stripes.
I am taking the RT to Alb. NM this weekend for a MOPAR show, and then plan to put it up for sale. I'm sure I'll get more selling it myself than trading it in. I know I will miss it. Had a lot of fun, modding it to where it is now. Someone will get a great deal. If, for some reason, I'm not impressed with the new SRT (which I don't feel will be the case), I'll do without for a bit and maybe try a used Hellcat, if I can find one.

Again, Thanks for all the positive input, to help me make my decision. :cheers:
The saying goes, that if you get a quarter back for every dollar spent on mods, you did well!

You can also put a for sale sign on it at the Mopar show. I'd much rather sell a car to a fellow enthusiast than just someone with a lot of money. The enthusiast will take care of your car and treat it with the Respect that you did.

When I sold my Vette, I sold it to a Gentleman that has a garage with just three Vettes in it. It has epoxy floors, A/C, Heat and even a juke box in it. It's a Garage Mahal! Each car has its own space in the garage and it's really a Beautiful setup!

I thought my old car had it good here, but heck after seeing his garage, I wanted to move with my old car! Seriously, I was ecstatic that my car went to the home of a "Car Guy" that gets it and will treat that car like I treated it!

People who aren't into cars might not get it, but when you mod a car, it's like putting a bit of yourself into it! It's about our Passion for our cars and our Individuality! That's what I like about most car forums, in that it's people that might not agree on everything, but understand that a car is more than just something that gets you from one place to another, it's a Passion!

There are days that I miss my old car, but I believe that when our SRT Challenger gets here, it will get easier, just as if you sell yours and then find something to replace her, things should get easier. I'm hoping that's the case.

Sorry to ramble, but I just can Appreciate your dilemma and can sympathize with what's going through your head right now!

Good Luck with your decision! :icon_cheers:

#14 ·
Why not restore your RT to stock...

before trading. And Put the magna-charger and strut braces on the new SRT when tunes become available?

#16 · (Edited)
I think the motor is the same, as far as mounting goes.
I think there may be differences in tune, but it should bolt on. I'd give Luke a call.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
That is what you say now. I give you 1 day. You lost power on this deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
I hope you guys are leasing these things and not actually buying them and trading them in what seems like every year, you guys would have to be constantly loosing a ton of money! Doesn't make a lick of financial sense to me but then again neither does leasing for that matter! LOL!

#20 ·
I've had it 5 yrs, so no, not trading every year. If, I did not feel there was a large enough difference between a '10 and a '15, I wouldn't bother with it. Anyone who has modded cars for any length of time, knows that one mods for the chase and the fun while doing it, not for the money. Modding is always a losing deal. I knew that when I started. I know this is going to sound glib, but in the end, it's only money and you can't take it with you. Enjoy life while you can. The longer I hold onto it, the less it is worth. So, in my view, I've had my fun with it; the benefits of a new SRT makes it worth the upgrade; and, with it's low miles and mods it does has, it should sell relatively quick. I'm not giving it away, but also am a motivated seller. If I was going through life, just looking at what is the best deal financially;and, considering nothing else, I'd never bother with these type of cars, I'd b the Prius driver we all make fun of. :frown: I'm not frivolous with my money, but I'm also a realist. That is the whole purpose of my initial query, for the guys (or gals) that have already taken the plunge: was it worth it? Most here have responded it was. Not that I really need to explain myself here or anything:|

Yes, I'm losing a bit on power, but overall getting a better car. I don't drive at 10/10ths all the time, so peak hp is sacrifice-able.

If I can remember to, I'll post a follow-up in a year, on whether I made the right choice (for me) or not.

#22 · (Edited)
Enjoy life while you can. The longer I hold onto it, the less it is worth. So, in my view, I've had my fun with it; the benefits of a new SRT makes it worth the upgrade; and, with it's low miles and mods it does has, it should sell relatively quick. I'm not giving it away, but also am a motivated seller. If I was going through life, just looking at what is the best deal financially;and, considering nothing else, I'd never bother with these type of cars, I'd b the Prius driver we all make fun of.
Or better yet you'd be the dude with the most toys to pick from! I a little over 50 now and quit trading in vehicles over twenty years ago, and when I purchase a new one I simply add it to my stable. If I had to do it all over again I would have started doing that 30+ yrs ago as I would have quite a valuable collection of old 70's muscle-cars. The longer you hold on to them doesn't necessarily mean they will be worth less and can actually mean they will be worth more in the long run. And if money gets tight or you get in a bind you can always sell a few to make ends meet if it becomes necessary. As long as you got the space to keep them then you're all your good. Yall aint ever heard of the old saying, "he who dies with the most toys wins!!"? LOL!

#21 ·
I traded a heavily modified coyote mustang for the Challenger. I was always a fan of the looks, but the interiors were subpar compared to the outside. When the '15s came out I was sold.

Would I do it again though...probably not. I would have waited for a Charger Hellcat.

#25 ·
It's too late to reply in time for your decision (which I think is the right one). For some reason I never saw this thread when you asked your question. Regardless, I thought I'd pass on my experience. I owned a 2011 SRT8 Toxic Orange M6, which I bought new and was my daily driver (about 90 miles a day round trip, and almost a two-hour commute). This was my first Challenger, and after being a GM guy my whole life, owning a '76 Camaro, a '79 Z28, and an '82 Firebird SE, all before I graduated college, when I was in the market for a modern muscle car, I considered the Mustang, Camaro, and the Challenger. Test drove the Challenger, bought it, and never looked back. I absolutely LOVED that car. And the one-year only color Toxic Orange with black stripes was unique. Driving four hours a day in the DC metro area over three years and I never saw one other TO SRT8. Not one. BUT, the six-speed began to grate on me driving it four hours a day in stop and go traffic. After three years, I had 54K miles on it, and the transmission was starting to have that sticking in gear issue.

So, I went to look at the '15 SRTs, with the A8 and man, it was like driving a completely different car. I miss my TO SRT8, but every time I drive my new SRT, I don't think about it. The '15's really are an improvement over the previous models in almost every way. And the SRT has everything my 2011 had, but is upgraded and better. In addition, the '15 SRT has three driving modes, street, sport, and track. The only other car that has these three modes is the Hellcat. The track mode is great, as it turns the SRT into a completely different handling beast than the other two settings, with improved accelerator response and a very stiff suspension and steering setting. My '11 SRT8 was like the Sport mode, 24/7. But the street mode really calms the car down and makes it feel more like a typical touring vehicle. But even in that setting, you can get on it and it is loud as hell. It's like three cars in one. And the customizable settings from each of the three modes provides excessive customization.

Anyway, I don't think you will look back once you get it. Good luck!

Reactions: Palerider15
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.