Dodge Challenger Forum banner

MDS

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  rockazona 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 SRT and have gone through threads for the past hour to figure out how to not go into cylinder deactivation.I ran across one thread that stated to put the transmission in track mode only to find out that the OP had a 2009 Challenger.

My question is how do you defeat MDS in a 2015 SRT.I checked the drive modes supplement but it is not answering my question.If you have a 2015 SRT 392 please enlighten me.

#2 ·
I only have 850 miles on mine. I drove it with the transmission in track mode on the way home from work today for the first time. I've popped in and out of track mode a few times, but this is the first time I've driven with it in that setting for any real distance. It never did go into 4-cyl mode. But it also never hit 8th gear. I cruised it up to 85 MPH and it just stayed in 7th. I know that it DOES hit 4-cyl mode with the trans in sport mode.

#4 · (Edited)
This is the answer I am looking for.I do not want the car to go into MDS mode I want all eight all the time.For those that like it I am happy for you as for me I purchased an 8 cylinder car and that is what I want all the time.

I set up a custom mode with the transmission in track and will try it in the morning.Come on I know there are more of you out there that have more knowledge than I do.This is my first Dodge since 1979 when I was discharged from Uncle Sams war machine.

#5 ·
There's literally no performance difference. All it takes to come out of MDS is the injectors to start pushin fuel again. A fraction of a second. Are you really going to all this trouble because you don't like the idea of four cylinders being deactivated? You wouldn't even be able to tell without the light.
But it is your car, in the end. My brother is a mechanic who's worked on these. The best and really only way is to do as the other poster said and put it in Sport/track mode. The custom setting you mentioned should do the trick.

#11 ·
Theres more than one post on here about broken rocker arms where the dealer has said it was related to MDS.

Maybe the OP is just playing it safe. Frankly, if I owned a 2015 I'd do the same thing.

#6 ·
My 2013 Camaro had cylinder deactivation and I could here and feel when I went to 4 cylinder mode just as I can with my Challenger.So I will take it that unless the transmission is in track mode the car will go to MDS mode.

#7 ·
i hate mds, chrysler should put on and OFF switch for that ****, i pay 50+K for a 6.4L V8 and i want my V8 full time at all time,i do understand some of you want to get better gas milage and thats ok, but i don't give a F*^& about gas milage on my muscle car, I really wish thy put option flat out, MDS ON MDS OFF button.

#15 ·
I was going wait for,wait for it,what took you so long I knew that reply was coming (LOL).Hopefully someone will release a tuner so that I can turn it off.

#10 ·
on a 2015 SRT ,either setting it to track mode or using it in manual in any mode should shut down MDS-I use the custom mode with just the trans set to track-and that seems to work-just double hit the SRT button in the center console and it will put it into custom mode

#12 ·
Does the 8 speed have auto stick like the 5 speed?? If so on the 5 speed all you do is tap the lever to autostick mode and the MDS is off.

#13 ·
Per drivesrt.com, the A8's come with the autostick feature.

#17 · (Edited)
Great information!

This has been a great thread as I have an SRT 392 on order.

Personally, I won't mind the MDS when driving casually and leaving the A8 tranny in it's normal drive mode. How-ever I 'will' enjoy knowing that the MDS is off once I go over to the manual side (as it should be)! For me, this combination is the best of both worlds.

And on a related note, I never cared for Paddle Shifters. One of the key positive factors I also like about the Challenger is that you can manual shift using the center console shifter! (Love the look and feel of the new shifter handle as well! :thumbsup:

#18 ·
This has been a great thread as I have an SRT 392 on order.

Personally, I won't mind the MDS when driving casually and leaving the A8 tranny in it's normal drive mode. How-ever I 'will' enjoy knowing that the MDS is off once I go over to the manual side (as it should be)! For me, this combination is the best of both worlds.

And on a related note, I never cared for Paddle Shifters. One of the key positive factors I also like about the Challenger is that you can manual shift using the center console shifter! (Love the look and feel of the new shifter handle as well! :thumbsup:
For your info-MDS is also disabled on a SRT392 ,when you select track mode-the shifter doesn't have to be in manual mode-when you run track mode-it can stay in automatic-play around with it-it's fun with all the different combos available

#21 ·
Surprised MDS is in the sport mode on a 392. I have a 2015 Scat Pack 6.4 and there is NO MDS in the sport mode. Most of the time I'm in the regular drive mode going to work. A 500 hp muscle car with MDS. Really! What is Dodge thinking about? Why isn't there a button on the dash to turn it off? I bought the Diablo Sport tuner on sale during Christmas. My gas mileage is better without MDS. I was burning more gas because I was throttling it and keeping the revs up to keep it from dropping into MDS. I remember MDS kicking into 3rd gear when in rush hour traffic. For 2015 or later the Diablo tuner is sold with an unlocked PCM. You can send the original stock PCM to be unlocked but I bought a new PCM in case I need to reconnect the stock PCM. Not this thread but want to mention I also got a custom tune to deactivate the ECS, traction control and anti-lock brakes. Now the car drives as intended like an old 440 or Hemi muscle car. They load these cars down with so much crap you can't drive them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.