Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What if my Key Fob battery is dead?

Tags
fob key
25K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  janning 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have 2015 Challenger RT Scat Pack. This has the square Key Fob (no "nose" on it)
My question is, if the battery in my Fob is dead, how do I start the car? My 2014 Rt had the other type Fob, you could pop off the start button and use is similar to an old style key, but, as I said...this Fob is totally square. I know how to remove the metal key part from the Fob, but, can this be used to start n run my car? I realize its all brand new now...but, when that day comes - dead Fob battery- what do I do?
Thanks, James.

#2 · (Edited)
The 2015 start pushbutton is not removeable like previous years. If you try you will damage it.

From the owners manual:

NOTE: In case the ignition does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation, a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the Key Fob against the Engine START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition.

You'll have plenty of warning ahead of time that the RKE battery is getting low.
A message will pop up in the EVIC that will say: RKE Battery Low.
Unlike previous years you'll need a small Phillips screwdriver to take apart the fob.

#3 ·
I should have added, If the Fob battery dies and I'm out in middle of nowhere, and do not have a spare battery.
What type of battery is it anyway?

So to be clear, you said:
"Put the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the Key Fob against the Engine START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition."
Mine is the square one, it has no "nose" . Are you saying, basically, take the key fob end opposite where it is connected to the key ring, and use This (instead of my finger) to push the start button?

Also, this just hit me. What it the fob battery died and I was not in the car, and the car is locked?

thanks James

#4 ·
Yes, as the owners manual states, take the nose side of the fob, iow the side opposite of the emergnecy key, and use it to push against the start button.
The start button will recognize the fob even though the battery is dead and will start the car.
If the car is locked, and the remote entry doesn't work because the fob is dead, that's what the emergency key is for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.