Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hell cat air intake box

16K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Snowkan 
#1 ·
Anyone has on there 15 R/T?
Any comparison between hellcat air box & K&N CAI?

Bama Boy

#2 ·
I like mine, 1st mod I did. easy install and far less $$ than a CAI. small amount of added sound and pull at WOT, plus the cool factor. I switched from k&n to AEM oil-less filter and like it better. topped it all off with the new DIPS unit from Genpartsco, couldn't be happier. hope this helps.
Hemi4Us

Reactions: 73RallyeJA5
#7 ·
Kshion69, thats exactly what I did. 3/4 sticky back foam weather seal by frost king, took a few try's and a little wiggling to get the tube around it. I found that compressing it with my hand really fast to flatten it out, once it was on the back of the headlight hole, then quicky sliding the tube in place worked out best.

#10 ·
15 minute install, looks like it was worth about 0.3 secs last Sunday over the stock Scat Pack air box. Same 0 to 60 time, but did run a 116+ vs 110mph with no other mods, same air quality. Running OE filter. Inlet air temps reading 3 to 5 degrees above ambient (mid 50s). Used a screen in headlight opening to keep birds out. Tube fit snugly over headlight mount.

Al

#24 ·
Glad I saw this post was wondering if the Hellcat box provides a little more growl when you mash the throttle? I had a Frank intake with my Charger and when I got on the throttle it was a slightly deeper note not much but noticeable. Hoping the Hellcat box gives similar results.

#25 ·
I was surprised to find it didn't make any extra noise at all. In fact I had my wife rev the engine while I had my head right in front of it and heard nothing extra. It was only when I put my ear right up to it that I could hear some air movement but nothing like engine sound. :frown:

#26 ·
Sound

I gave not tried mine yet. I gave to wait until spring. I wonder if this is necessary to get the sound. It replaces stock RT intake tube and removes the silencer. Maybe it would sound better? Has anyone used this with hellcat Airbox? Pleas comment.

Amazing dodge puts quiet exhaust and silencer on intake from factory.....I would think most people do not buy a challenger expecting it to sound like a sub...

See link to intake below:

11 16 Dodge Challenger 5 7L Hemi Air Cleaner Intake Tube w O Silencer New | eBay

#30 ·
If you want to save some money here is the method I took on my stock air box

The tube fits perfectly with nothing needed to support the connections on either side.
Cut the hose to length needed and drop in a K&N.

Done!

Attachments

Reactions: 73RallyeJA5
#32 ·
All 2015/2016 headlight assemblies are the same, all have the removable plug, but they are not the same in anyway to previous years, especially the electrical architecture.
Hemi4us

#33 ·
I keep tossing around doing this mod on my 5.7l R/T (2015) but every time I get close to buying one, I just come back to my (possibly screwed up) thinking. So please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.
Chrysler says they add 7 to 9 H.P. ok but, that is on a supercharged engine where the hellcat box without the tube restricts how much air the blower can pull in.
My car is not supercharged, it is only going to draw in as much air as the V.E. (Volumetric Efficiency) of the engine will allow so, Adding the Hellcat air box is going to pull air from the front of the car and the fender well, neat but it is still going to pull the same volume of air.
There is no "ram effect" of "pressurizing" your intake tract so no gain there.
Maybe a little faster cooling the air temp in the intake down but, my stock box pulls from the fender, in fact the only real difference between the stock air intake and a fender pull is we can change our filter pretty easily.

#36 ·
Pop the hood, take off the plastic cup holder plastic trim piece..go in from behind and you can unscrew the plastic plug.

#37 ·
^ this ^ BUT - the black round plug/cap needs to be pushed out, it doesn't screw in, but rather has 3 small pressure tabs that need to be pressed inward to each other just slightly while also pressing the entire thing towards the front of the car.
Pops right out.(see pic below.) You'll need small hands to reach in the back of the headlight, some have had to resort to a hammer handle/large dowel/socket extension and gentle tapping, but this can break the pressure tabs, making the cap no longer usable.
Hemi4us

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.