Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Shaker Air Inlet Tube Upgrade by MOPAR

26K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  Mopar Frank 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this upgrade offered by MOPAR. Would like to see what it looks like. There is no photo in the MOPAR Performance Catalog. Just the description. I assume it's aluminum tubing.
It's under Shaker Hoods& kits

Air Inlet Tube Upgrade Tube for Vehicles Equipped with Shaker Hoods),
2014-2016 Challenger, 5.7L, P/N 77072381. . . . . . . . . . . $225.0

#2 ·
If you don't want to drop the coin, you can do this in less than an hour: Remove the intake tube which is a hose clamp, your sensor and a couple of nuts holding the resonator. Cut the resonator off with a hacksaw flush across the elbow. It leaves an oval hole. Cut off the end of the resonator pipe and use it as a template on the resonator box itself. Cut the oval patch from your resonator box and sand the edges smooth. Glue your oval patch onto with some black RTV sealant. I person, almost looks like it came that way

#3 ·
I have no idea what this is.....
I don't think the posts above applies.....

Attachments

#5 ·
for that price, it had better be aluminum...that's some coin for a short intake tube.

#19 ·
Sorry it posted before I was done. We are talking about 2 things on this thread, the Alminum CAI Shaker tube and the headlight cold air tube(s).
Can't see the headlight tubes, but the CAI tube is debated weather it's an enhancement of just looks, I ain't saying. You have to figure that one out. But it looks batter than that hunk of black plastic

Attachments

#31 ·
I ordered this inlet tube from my local dealer but the tube doesn't have the Mopar stamp on it. I'm not sure what happen here but I'm pretty bummed it's not there. The parts dept is closed till Monday, but I have an email out to Mopar about this. Is this an actual stamp or is it just a sticker, or worse did I even get an OEM part?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Does the AFR setup work with the factory hood? Just curious because at 1 point I am going to want a shaker, I don't want a fiberglass hood but the intake setup for the oem hood is a bit ridiculous in price and does not look as cool as the AFR which gets 100% of it's air through the shaker.

Attachments

#39 ·
Can anyone tell me what the compartment on the left of the stock intake tube is for a 5.7L? I've swapped it out with the air inlet tube (looks aluminum) performace part from Mopar but this piece directly points into the intake and doesn't have an extra compartment. As stock, I remember seeing 3-5 degrees above ambient temps and after the swap I was seeing 8-11 degrees above ambient.*

I followed a fellow mopar enthusiast here and did the Hellcat headlight port and used the Spectre air duct hose. It fits great over the headlight port. I had to cut it down to fit better and point it directly into the opening in the air box. I now see my IAT down to 5-7 degrees above ambient. However, I'm still curious as to why I remember seeing lower temps with the stock setup. I haven't yet gone back to it to confirm but just wondering why the temps appear to be higher with this "performance" part. Oh, and why the stock intake tube has that extra space on the left.*

I was running stock from August to early December, and we had temps in the high 90's to low 40's. This is where I remember seeing 3-5 IAT over ambient. After the swap in late December, we had temps from mid 80's to high 20's and noticed 8-11 degrees over. After the hellcat port mod, seeing 5-7 over. Temps low 70's to mid 40's. Quite the variance in temps we are used to seeing here in SA, but it's what I'm working with right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Can anyone tell me what the compartment on the left of the stock intake tube is for a 5.7L? I've swapped it out with the air inlet tube (looks aluminum) performace part from Mopar but this piece directly points into the intake and doesn't have an extra compartment. As stock, I remember seeing 3-5 degrees above ambient temps and after the swap I was seeing 8-11 degrees above ambient.*

Oh, and why the stock intake tube has that extra space on the left.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
resonance chamber - only on 5.7 Challengers. Either to modulate intake drone or help airflow characteristics

#42 ·
its probably the aluminum tube picking up engine bay heat and heats incoming air. Plastic wouldn't conduct heat like metal

#44 ·
You have an Intake tempature gauge. Run each at the same time of day same temp, same route etc. do a zero to sixty with each. note the difference with the stock vs the aluminum tube and let us all know what the difference(s) is
Aluminum tube looks way cooler. Just saying!

#49 ·
It's definitely a looks or appearance upgrade. That stock tube with the massive wart on it made me want to vomit when I had my Shaker. The Mopar aluminum tube was my first change.

I don't see how the aluminum tube can't flow a little better being a totally smooth tube compared to the stocker with the hole leading to the wart. That's just a noise reduction thing and has to divert some air that way. So, the better air flow probably cancels out the minor difference in AIT. My take on it anyway.

Either way, just an intake tube change isn't going to lead to massive performance differences. That's an appearance thing for when the hood is up, is all.