Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How many MPG do you guys get on ur SXTs?

7K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  tvo9 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got a SXT Plus and I drive it in city mostly.

I get 19 MPG in city. Going for a long ride this weekend so I will come to know the highway MPG too.

Just wondering what to expect, btw I am an easy driver most of the time.. :wink3:

#3 ·
20 in the City. And that's about 95% city. 5% HWY. And with spirited driving in the mix ;)

Reactions: TheLastOne
#7 ·
Got 31.8 @ 80 MPH with AC on when I brought mine home from the dealer. So far about 27 average non interstate travel. I live in a rural area though, so not much city driving for me. I do drive at 4600+ in elevation also.

#10 ·
I'm getting 22mpg city. Mostly 45 mph zones, suburban "city" driving. With some spirited spurts here and there.

#15 ·
Mine is a SXT Plus with 20" rims. Still getting 21.9 MPG in suburban driving. I would think the bigger tires would get (ever so slightly) better mpg?

#16 ·
Bigger wheel = more metal = more weight to spin = less mpg over a smaller wheel

#18 ·
That would be true as long as overall circumference is the same and gearing then remains the same. The weight between them has to be realatively marginal though, right? That's kinda like pointing out you get better mpg when your car has a 1/8 tank vs. a full tank. Or if you have a fat or skinny passenger or no passenger....or if you had a big lunch.

Yes, weight all adds up to "something" that affects mpg.

#17 ·
How about if I lift my butt off the car seat as I drive, will that make the car lighter and get me better mpg? :)

#21 ·
When I was at highway speeds, the instant fuel economy did show 30 mpg when maintaining speed. What was better is when you let off the gas, it jumps to 80-90 mpg! Of course this is only "instant mileage" which only accounts for the gas being used and the speed of the car. As soon as you put your foot back on the gas pedal, it "drops" to the 30 mpg again.

#27 · (Edited)
Naw...It's more about speed, unless you have much more weight in the car besides yourself.
How fast do you drive on the highway? Do you use the cruise when you can?

If I set the cruise to 70 and just listen to the tunes, I get 31MPG consistantly.
3.07 rear end with the Rallye Redline.

At 70MPH my RPM's are about 2100/2200/

My sons SXT has the 2.6 something rear end and at 70MPH he's at about 1800/1900 RPM's and he gets 33/34MPG on the highway.

#30 ·
I'm averaging around 28-ish on highway drives. I drive about 300-500 miles at a time with most of it being interstate and Cruise Control.

However I do tend to be "first off the line" in the city and like to push the pedal down when I pass with Cruise on.

Overall I'm very happy with the MPG. I came from a 2012 V6 Camaro and got just a tad under this mpg but I can tell you that this V6 Challenger has much more response and kick (stock) than the Camaro. That surprised me when I first bought it but now a month later I still have to punch it harder than I would normally.

I would expect if I drove like I was trying to get the best MPG I could do much better.

#31 ·
Overall I'm very happy with the MPG. I came from a 2012 V6 Camaro and got just a tad under this mpg but I can tell you that this V6 Challenger has much more response and kick (stock) than the Camaro. That surprised me when I first bought it but now a month later I still have to punch it harder than I would normally.
I had a 2013 Mustang V6 and I never got over 24MPG on highway. Comparing it with a much heavier Challenger I can say that the Challenger does a pretty good job when it comes to MPG. I get around 27 MPG at highway speeds and 19 MPG in city. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.