Need some advice, wanting to buy a Challenger - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > New Member Introductions & Site Assistance > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to the site please create a thread in here to say hi. We encourage all of the members who are 'lurking' and reading about the Dodge Challenger to post in this section at least once!

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some advice, wanting to buy a Challenger

Hey guys,

First post here, thanks for reading. So, after driving many cars and much thought I have decided to buy a Challenger. I have spoken to the local dealership and have been made several offers for $200 over invoice on whatever I want to buy, be is a R/T or srt8.

My question is; it seems like there are some REALLY good deals out there on very slightly used Challengers, both srt8 and R/T. Is it generally the case that there are a plentiful number of great deals on these cars? I have seen several low mile srt8s at 35k and several R/Ts at even less, which would be like $10k less than new.

My next question is; what kind of hp/tq numbers are people making from srt8s and R/Ts while remaining CARB legal? I have had a car that wasnt CARB legal and the people's fascist republic of California tore me new butt on several occasions and I dont want to deal with that again.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Thanked 1,385 Times in 857 Posts
First of all welcome from Los Angeles. Second of all I'm so glad you weren't asking for advise in "should I get the v6 or the v8" or what kind of "mpg" are you guys getting.
Since I'm not an expert on mods, I leave up to the other guys to answer those questions.
I'd suggest to look at the 12 srt leftovers. Sometimes it's worth buying new vs used since you could qualify for low apr compared to higher apr on used cars. The payment difference could be nominal. Email dealers for quotes. Deal with their Internet dept. get prices from several dealers. Play dealers against each other. When I say you can get way below invoice prices, believe me. Don't rush, don't let your emotions show ( poker face). If you plan on keeping the car for long, buy new. With these cars you never know how those miles were put on. It's not a Honda. I could on but in sure you'll get some great advise from the other guys.
Oh, I would check orange coast dodge. You can't beat their prices. It's worth driving out if your way to save a few k. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 AM

Since I have not modded mine other than an SLP cat-back, and have not had it on a dyno, I cannot comment on that....

I will say, however, I don't think you could go wrong with either a '13 or left over '12. I never tested an R/T but my wife has the 5.7 in her Charger, and it has plenty of power...shit and git power..

My SRT out performs her car by a large margin (you don't think I'm gonna let my wife have a faster car than me do ya?), not to say it's lacking, however.

As for the price quotes...I got mine for 1100 BELOW invoice, plus TT&T, and it is a '13, ordered on 1 Oct. '12 with most of the options available. I'm in S.E. Virginia so there may be a big difference in what that invoice is between where I live and California. If you have not done so already, you may want to look around on the net, or make some phone calls, and see what else is out there with in a day's drive of your local area. There are better deals available for a factory ordered '13 than 200 over invoice.

"All I need is cigarettes, guitars and Gasoline!" - Travis Tritt

Last edited by Chazz; 12-14-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sportbikerxx
Welcome from Md!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replys gentlemen.

I have driven both the srt8 and the r/t, of course the srt8 was the preferred driving experience. I do plan, after some time, to potentially use FI. From what I have seen the difference in power is not as dramatic after using FI. Ironically (and thankfully) my wife likes the seats in the srt8 more(lol,) so that gives me a good excuse to spend the extra cash.

$1100 under invoice is awesome, dodge must have a substantial holdback on their cars to be able to sell them at that price. I agree new car financing is great and where the better deals are at and if you guys are doing better than what im being offered than that changes things a bit.

Regards
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get a 2012 392. Coming from experience and roughly 90,000mi driven in the Challenger alone, it is the best balance for this vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Torred '15 6.2L SRT8 Hellcat - 11.2 @ 125.4 mph - NHRA (August 2014)
Tungsten '12 392 SRT8 - 12.847 @ 109.89 mph
Torred '10 6.1L SRT8 - 12.604 @ 112.11 mph / 12.817 @ 110.05 mph
Torred '09 5.7L R/T - 13.291 @ 103.67 mph

Intakes, Throttle Bodies, Catch Cans, Tuners, Heatsoak

Last edited by rayzazoo; 12-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (4)
Some great deals available on used cars too. Just sayin'.
2008 Challenger SRT8 Brilliant Black

Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by thekanezzi View Post

the people's fascist republic of California
Re:quote
Welcome, don't have to worry about not fitting in with some here.

On the used car topic, call me OCD, but before buying a muscle car used, I would really consider trying to find an end-of-model-year steep discount. You have to look regionally online, even nationally. Read other posts about having a new car shipped. You can shop nationally nowadays. I just don't like the chance of getting someone else's whipping post. Figure out what you are looking for (my own recommendation is a loaded R/T, but depends on what you want it for), and what color or color choices work for you, then see if you can find an end of model year good deal.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Welcome aboard! You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Max Power: 652 rwhp Max Torque: 635 ft-lbs Boost: 15 psi

Performance Mods:
Techco 3.0L SC, Techco Strut Tower Brace, DiabloSport Custom CMR Tune, HHP/BES Stage 2 Heads, HHP/BES Camshaft, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust, Hawk Performance Brake Pads, Hurst Shifter
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Welcome from PA.

I know my car runs 10's because I once beat a guy who said his car runs 11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > New Member Introductions & Site Assistance > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.