Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2012 RT Cam opinion request

28K views 66 replies 15 participants last post by  Pector55 
#1 ·
Ok just looking for feedback I've been looking into installing a cam on my 2012 RT the thing that's stopping me is that my RT is my daily I drive it all the time anyone have recommendations on what type to get I am looking for a nice choppy sound or should I not even think of the idea I know cams usually lower your gas mileage so give me some opinions guys open to any.

#2 ·
Cams are about the hardest thing to tune for. They need to be dyno tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, running a canned tune on a cam'd engine leads to bad things.
And it's impossible to get an old school 'lopey' sound with a modern engine and all of it's electronics, so the sound doesn't really change much like the old days.

Most people choose not to use anything but stock cams. A supercharger is a much easier way to get more power.

#6 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I just ordered a custom cam for my rt. It's from modern mucsle through moe's performance.
Duration @ .050: 214 Int/222 Exh
Lift: .590 Int/.584 Exh
Lobe Separation: 113.5
Powerband: 1600-6500 RPM's

Your not going to get that old school lope unless you use the 274 cam but it gets a lot of mix reviews being to big and hard to tune. A few different options out there modern muscle, comp cams and interia. I suggest calling one and figuring out what's right for you. Remember you will also need supporting mods to get the most out of it.

#4 ·
That one shouldn't be crazy to tune. It's actually a similar duration as the 392 cam but much more lift and a much better LSA for an NA cam. A 113* LSA should have a little lope to it.

#7 ·
there's quite a few people that run a 274 around here, Wildchild had great success with his, its also the route I want to go.

#8 ·
What's your end goal?
You want to stay N/A or go forced induction later on?

Many factors come into play when choosing a cam and you have to remember a cam needs a combination of other mods to perform at its best. ( Heads, Long tubes, ported intake, CAI....etc)

Another main factor when choosing a cam is tuning it and getting the right tuner to dial it in.

As for which one?? Go with a cam form Modern Muscle and stay away from the off the shelf Comp Cams 270 and 274. I don't want to go into a long discussion as to why, but the off the shelf cams are too big and harder to tune.

Choppy sound? These newer engines will never sound like the old school muscle cars, but don't get me wrong with the right set up they can still sound beastly. My car sounds pretty mean and you can tell it has a cam in it.

Daily driving? Not really going change too much, but you might lose a little bit of gas mileage.

#11 · (Edited)
I just ordered a cam from Jay Greene of Jay Greene racing my tuner guy. He does his own profile and you don't have to change a thing, stock springs you don't have to remove heads or inlet. Simple swap out and he will supply tune with a nice lope to boot. He say's about 35 -40 rwhp on stock motor. Install time 6-8 hrs.
Mine is 2012 5.7 Hemi R/T

#14 ·
Dont think so as he says people will likely copy his spec's however he say's cam timing is as stock. I have used his tuning since 2013 when I bought my Ram 1500 5.7. He is a very knowlegeable and skilled tuner guy. I just found out that he does cams as well. Checkout his Youtube video's

#19 · (Edited)
I don't know who this guy is, but I wouldn't go with his cam. Modern Muscle is simply the best makers of custom cams for the VVT HEMI on the market!

No new springs???

Going cheap with anything inside your engine is never a good idea.

#22 · (Edited)
Got a reply from Jay. I quote, Yes sir no springs required or pushrods on this Cam, it is new one so Dodge4L1fe didn't know about it. It is a stage 2 LL Cam which is designed for stock valvetrain only one 1 offer that does. Even stage 1 needs springs.
So there it is. The reason I went with his Cam is because up here to go with a Comp Cam and all the rest of the valve train would cost me about $5000 cdn for a gain of what I was told would be about 80 rwhp. Jays Cam will cost me about $2500 cdn and my local dodge dealership will install it and cover it with install warranty for a gain of 35-40 rwhp with a Jay Greene custom tune. I currently have 350 RWHP. I am not looking to go above 390-400 RWHP, plus I will be adding a Fastman 84 mm throttle body to finish off everything.

#24 ·
He's in Canada so roughly $2500 cn = $1800 usd. Not that it explains where the costs are but at least clarifies your question. :smile:

#25 ·
Just to hopefully clarify the cost. I was quoted $2500 cdn for Cam and kit plus an additional $2500+ for approx 17 hr install time for a total of $5000+/- I was also told I would need to purchase a Diablo Programmer $1000 cdn plus a custom tune which would be another $800 cdn performed by a local dyno shop.
So I went with the Jay Greene Cam and tune, to be installed by my local dealership, for a total cost of $2500 +/-. I already had purchased a Diablo T000 tuner which I used to custom tune my engine when I did the exhaust.
My local Dyno shop were having a half price special for the month of February so I took advantage and got my tune done.

#27 ·
I found a programmer back in December for $650.cdn plus $400 cdn for a custom tune for the exhaust mods.
As for install time for the Cam and kit, I was quoted by two shops. Yes there may be shops around that might take less time but I wouldn't nesessarily trust them.
Anyway I am happy with my choice at the moment

#33 ·
Do the Diablos give access to the VVT Spark Correction tables?
If so, is there published information that come with the cams as to how to set the degree limits once you have the new VVT cam and phase limiters installed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.