Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 manual shifter for 2014

12K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  woods 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the shifter handle for the 2015 will fit the 2014? I like the ball style better than the pistol grip.

#2 ·
Look at Barton. Ball style and way better than stock.

#3 ·
I have the barton. Took it out because I keep grinding 2nd. Don't want to void my warranty if it keeps happeing. Barton suggested putting the stock back in and having the synchro looked at in the transmission. But because it is only happening with the barton. SOL. Now just going for the look. Probably selling it in a few weeks.

#4 ·
Have you checked out the Mooar Short Throw? They made these in a ball style for 2014s and before. I'm not sure at all if its the same as what the out in the 2015s but it may be similar. Here is a link to a supported vendor:
Mopar 6-Speed Shifter Handle 09-14 Challenger

#6 ·
The shifter in my 2015 feels different (better) than my 2009. I wonder if Dodge changed the shifter or the transmission internals on the 2015 cars.

#8 ·
I actually just installed a similar looking shifter to the 2015 Challenger in my 2011; was a two part process. Part number P5155705 screwed on to a Mopar shifter part number P5155284AB. The stock ball on the Mopar shifter gets a little cold to the touch for North Dakota so I added that other Mopar ball.

#9 ·
Barton did nothing to help you out? Really? that's extremely disappointing. I really wanted to get one later on, when/if the price drops.

On a side note, I grind going to 2nd sometimes as well. I notice that isn't not when I'm forceful enough going from 1st to 2nd.

#11 ·
I don't feel bad towards barton. I liked the shifter. Not sure why it would do it. Sometimes on hard shifts and on soft. It got to the point where I feared using 2nd and would skip it. I love the look of the ball and that's what I am going for now with the factory shifter but after market shifter handle. I could not get the dealership to open up the transmission if they can't replicate the problem.

#18 ·
Here's a thread about them with some pictures:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/core-shifters-116674/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/installed-my-core-shifters-hurst-today-229378/

I don't have a pic of mine specifically. Once you change to the core-shifter, any knob threaded to fit Hurst style will fit so it opens up a lot of possibilities.

My personal theory is that the stock pistol grip has a bend in the shifter to angle it toward you. When you pull hard on the stock pistol grip it applies just enough torsion that it hangs on the gate from 1-2 and 3-4. That's just a theory though.

#19 ·
Here's a thread about them with some pictures:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/core-shifters-116674/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/installed-my-core-shifters-hurst-today-229378/

I don't have a pic of mine specifically. Once you change to the core-shifter, any knob threaded to fit Hurst style will fit so it opens up a lot of possibilities.

My personal theory is that the stock pistol grip has a bend in the shifter to angle it toward you. When you pull hard on the stock pistol grip it applies just enough torsion that it hangs on the gate from 1-2 and 3-4. That's just a theory though.
^^this^^

Installed the CORE on my blacktop and loved it, much better than stock. I would install one on my Mopar '14 but it came with a pistol grip short shifter from factory that actually feels great.

Dodge Challenger Shift Knob (Part No: 82213391AB)

#21 · (Edited)
I doubt they changed the shifter, but the "handle and boot" that attaches to the shifter is different. Also the Tremecs Nuetral gate is on the 3-4 gate, in other words you must hold left for 1-2 or right for 5-6 and going to Nuetral puts you dead center on. 3-4 just either push or pull for 3 or 4. Barton has ANOTHER set of centering springs internal to the shifter which makes it twice as hard to get over to 1-2 or 5-6 gates (I believe these are leftovers from the tailpiece type shifter for Ford or Chevy that these shifters were originally built for?), maybe removing those springs would help your problem with the Barton? The fastest shifts are accomplished by holding left as you pull shifter from 1-2nd gear, THEN( on 2-3rd shift) just push forward with palm, letting shifter (Tremecs centering springs) pop/move over to center gate then pushing up into 3rd, this uses the centering springs as intended, and yes this is the first/only transmission that I ever drove that has/had Nuetral in a "gate", most 4 and 5 speeds Nuetral is between the gates, takes a bit of practice, but not much AND one more tip I got from Viper pilots FLOOR the clutch especially on 2nd gear shifts, it works not sure why (timing, deep 2nd gear?) but it works! :D
Added FYI 1-3 share synchros (triple cone), and 4-6 share synchros (double cone) so you don't have a seperate "2nd" gear synchros just a really deep gear and a "skip shift" servo.

Reactions: 3 peddles
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.