5.7 RT HEMI underrated? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
5.7 RT HEMI underrated?

What is the real horse power of Dodge's RT Challengers? I haven't tested mine yet but I have the dynolicoius app on my iphone and will test my car out soon. However, almost every post i've seen on the Dyno numbers for this motor are higher then the factory rated 372 HP. Most people on Dyno Jets are getting 330-340ish or more RWHP stock which is closer to 390 crank or higher.

Lisa, the owner of Speed Logix has thread on here and her stock 09 RT auto with 87 octane did 336 RWHP on the dyno for example and there are many others examples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to MoparSpeed
I also believe it's underrated from the factory, but that's not too uncommon.

2009 Brilliant Black R/T
1987 Camaro IROC-Z
1966 Chevy C10 Fleetside
-------------------------
1/4 mile: 13.08 @107.40 mph w/2.04 60' on RSA's
-Mopar CAI - BT Catch Can - Diablosport Intune 93 CAI Tune - Jet 180* Thermostat - 392 IAT sensor
-Eibach Sportline Springs - Painted Calipers - McGard Lugs
-Amber Fogs - LED Tag Light - LED reverse lights - Red LED map lights - Tinted Side Markers
#3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Mine with bolt ons and a tune got 359HP and 406TQ @ the wheels ...... which to me i think there allot left ... anytime you have that much TQ over HP .... shows a concervitive tune ...but also i was told my big ass 22's would make it read less HP and even seat of the pants i can tell the rims slowed the car down ... so seems they may be rite

Eibach Lowering springs,Mopars upgraded front and rear sway bars ,Mopar front strut tower bar, RazorsEdge rearstrut tower bar ,LMI fendermount CAI, Pred. 93 tune , functional scoops , Kooks headers , Kooks highflow cats, MBRP Catback, 180 TT, 87mm MM Throtlebody(polished) ,Moroso Billet Rad. res. and power steering tank , Moroso CC with drain..aero force guages, dual guage pod

2008 Dodge Sprinter
2010 Challenger R/T
2013 300S

Last edited by ghostrt; 05-26-2013 at 07:36 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdizzle77 View Post
What is the real horse power of Dodge's RT Challengers? I haven't tested mine yet but I have the dynolicoius app on my iphone and will test my car out soon. However, almost every post i've seen on the Dyno numbers for this motor are higher then the factory rated 372 HP. Most people on Dyno Jets are getting 330-340ish or more RWHP stock which is closer to 390 crank or higher.

Lisa, the owner of Speed Logix has thread on here and her stock 09 RT auto with 87 octane did 336 RWHP on the dyno for example and there are many others examples.
I read that the M6 2011+ r/t's have 390 horses well before i even considered buying one. But im not sure where i read that information but i believe it was wrong anyway.

Looks like the M6 has 376 and the A5 has 372. But chrysler is known more then the rest of the companies to underrated their power.

Remember that beast the srt4... not even close to the numbers dodge posted. Its like they didnt even dyno that car. Had about 20 more horses

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

I understand why up until 2010 Chrysler would downplay the 5.7's specs. With the 6.1 rated at 425 HP they couldn't let the R/T get too close to that.

But in 2011 when they rolled out the 6.4 rated at 470 HP, why didn't they either legitimately raise the 5.7 HP, or at least reveal the true HP of the 5.7, which some suspect is closer to 400 (if that is in fact the case).

The fact is, the 392 has been out for 3 years, there is no reason for Chrysler not to bump up the HP of the R/T.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RippTyde For This Useful Post:
ghostrt (05-14-2013), Triz (05-14-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippTyde View Post
I understand why up until 2010 Chrysler would downplay the 5.7's specs. With the 6.1 rated at 425 HP they couldn't let the R/T get too close to that.

But in 2011 when they rolled out the 6.4 rated at 470 HP, why didn't they either legitimately raise the 5.7 HP, or at least reveal the true HP of the 5.7, which some suspect is closer to 400 (if that is in fact the case).

The fact is, the 392 has been out for 3 years, there is no reason for Chrysler not to bump up the HP of the R/T.
Hey Tyde, I see you traded your RT as well. Jeeps are great and rugged rides. Best of luck with it. I don't know about you but it has been 6 months now since I traded mine for the new 5.0 and I gotta be honest. I like the mustang but I loved that RT. And, just like people said I would, I really am starting to miss it in a bad way. Didn't help that I went out and test drove another one either. How bout you? You miss yours yet?
#7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsouthwest2001 View Post
Hey Tyde, I see you traded your RT as well. Jeeps are great and rugged rides. Best of luck with it. I don't know about you but it has been 6 months now since I traded mine for the new 5.0 and I gotta be honest. I like the mustang but I loved that RT. And, just like people said I would, I really am starting to miss it in a bad way. Didn't help that I went out and test drove another one either. How bout you? You miss yours yet?
What made you guys get that?

#8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campton View Post
What made you guys get that?

Well on my end, I have had several mustangs in the past and really enjoyed them. Traded one in on the challenger I had. Then, like most, I kept reading all the hype about the new 5.0. When the body style was upgraded a bit for 13 and I saw it, I like the looks. So, I went for a it and bought a new automatic 5.0. But, since that time I have come to miss several things about the challenger. To be honest, I like the looks of the challenger a bit better now that I have had both. As far as comfort is concerned, I miss the room and ride the challenger had. The mustang is faster as far as picking up speed is concerned but faster is not everything. When it comes to torque (that push you back in the seat feeling) my RT manual actually felt a little stronger. I miss that too. The auto challenger I test drove recently, felt about the same from a torque perspective (at least from down low, the mustang was slightly stronger from higher speeds). So, really the mustang has no advantage in feel either. The only areas in which it clearly beats the challenger rt is in speed and handling. Again, even though the mustang is a nice car too, I am just beginning to really miss those other things I lost a little more than the speed and handling I gained.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsouthwest2001 View Post
Well on my end, I have had several mustangs in the past and really enjoyed them. Traded one in on the challenger I had. Then, like most, I kept reading all the hype about the new 5.0. When the body style was upgraded a bit for 13 and I saw it, I like the looks. So, I went for a it and bought a new automatic 5.0. But, since that time I have come to miss several things about the challenger. To be honest, I like the looks of the challenger a bit better now that I have had both. As far as comfort is concerned, I miss the room and ride the challenger had. The mustang is faster as far as picking up speed is concerned but faster is not everything. When it comes to torque (that push you back in the seat feeling) my RT manual actually felt a little stronger. I miss that too. The auto challenger I test drove recently, felt about the same from a torque perspective (at least from down low, the mustang was slightly stronger from higher speeds). So, really the mustang has no advantage in feel either. The only areas in which it clearly beats the challenger rt is in speed and handling. Again, even though the mustang is a nice car too, I am just beginning to really miss those other things I lost a little more than the speed and handling I gained.
Thanks for the input. I do love my car. A ton. Im so used to used vehicles and adding to them that i have started to second guess myself. Not because of the car itself but the fact that i wont be able to add to it for another year yet. But i love the size. I love the sound. So i think i just need to relax and be patient. thanks again

#10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

from my first hand experience, the 5.7's are not over rated.

i have personally seen over 15 RT's dyno'd and neither one of them gave the impression that it was any more than a 372-375hp motor....

stock tuned RT's go for 325-330hp on our dyno and tuned RT's with intake go for 340-345hp...

facorting a 15% drivetrain loss, even a tuned RT with 345hp is making 396 crank hp. and a tune typically adds 22-25hp....

the only RT's i've seen dyno more than 360hp have had full exhaust, shorties, custom tune, TB, intake.....

in my personal opinion, the engine is not overrated when it comes to horsepower, but you can make an argument that the torque is under rated....

Last edited by Litos; 05-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Litos For This Useful Post:
ghostrt (05-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode