Dodge Challenger Forum banner

5.7 versus 6.4

11K views 57 replies 33 participants last post by  MuscleCarProf 
#1 ·
Before anyone goes off on a tangent about what is better, let me take a second to say it was all in fun and nothing else.

Yesterday I ran into a friend of mine who has a B5 Scat Pack he bought right after I got mine in April of 2015. As my signature says, I only have the 5.7 with the SP Stage 1 kit which means very little in the grand scope of things. To make the story exceptionally short we both got out on a flat country highway and thought we'd try a little running speed test. Anyhow we both were doing about 40mph and we stomped on it for about a mile. Yea, we both hit 150+ however I was surprised he didn't walk away from me as he suggested he would. We both remained nearly equal until we both let off. It was fun and a little dangerous too!

Reactions: hemi4us
#3 ·
Like I said, it was for fun. There was no science or technique involved. Just two guys running down a county highway on a Friday afternoon. They were both A8's. Both cars were to the floor.

#5 ·
Naw, it's not as simple as you think it is.
I can easily beat a much powerful car from a 40 roll to 150 if he had spun his wheels and/or let's say if was in an incorrect gear and rpm (power band). But he would eventually catch up.

Is the purpose of your thread to say you can run evenly with a 392 from a roll? Or, do you really want to know why?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
I've experienced this as well at Willow Springs. :) Coming out of turn 9 at 80mph, the 392 cars would slowly gain speed on me and tip-toe away before braking into turn 1. I'd be around 128-130mph by the time I let off and started braking, the 392s were running 135 or so (I'm sure @wasp392 can provide more exact numbers).

Why?

Gearing. All that additional power and torque is great to get you out of the hole in the lower gears, but as you start going for top speed in 4th gear and up that extra power helps but isn't going to make a huge difference because it's not that huge of a difference in the higher gears. It's going to take a long time to wind out both a 5.7 and 392 in 4th and 5th gear, but the 392 will do it quicker.

From a dig you would've had a good jump (if you maintained grip) and gapped him good through 1st and 2nd and then continued to walk away after that.

Reactions: FormerBirdy
#10 ·
The 5.7 is no slouch, but 4th gear rubber is as much a sign of bad tires as it is power...

#11 ·
10:20s in my mod 5.7 at 4300lbs figure that RWHP rating out. Yes a few mods. I really like the 5.7 vvt motor. They are a tuff slug and capable of making some good steam and keep MPG up there a ways to boot. In fact, freshen up my 5.7 for a spare just in case.
I did just go to a 6.1 426 stroker that's about to hit the drag strip, all new combo. Been a PIA to be honest.
FlatTop

#14 ·
No, that's not what was said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pector55
#18 ·
Had we continued for another mile, I'm quite sure his Scat would have left me behind. I have no idea what my top end is and neither does he. I'm guessing the Scat is over 170. I would think the 5.7 is near or over 160.

I would have kept going however a 25mph curve negated that.

Attachments

#19 ·
The whole reason for the post was of how awesome it is to own something from the showroom floor that is far faster and more powerful than anything we ever had had teenagers or young adults.

I sold my 1970 Roadrunner with the 383/727 with air grabber to buy this Challenger. I thought that thing was the fastest thing on the planet until I got my 5.7 Hemi. I think back then we really had nothing to compare to unless you dumped a ton of cash into your engine to squeeze out a few extra horsepower and even then there was little reliability. My best time in that land yacht was over 16 seconds at a whopping 90mph. I don't remember exactly but it was close. My best on the Challenger is 13.2 at 106. Pretty big difference.

So no shenanigans. No wheel slip, no pro drivers, no major mods, and no beer involved. Just a friendly rivalry.

Reactions: Yahooligan
#21 ·
So no shenanigans. No wheel slip, no pro drivers, no major mods, and no beer involved. Just a friendly rivalry.
I'm friends with guys that have 392s and do the same thing. During my last track visit I messaged my buddy with a Scat to remind me of his current PB (I knew what it was and that I just beat it by a tenth) just so I could send him a fun ribbing pic.

I wish I could have picked up a 392 but it wasn't in the budget. I have enjoyed modding my 5.7 with the goal of making it as fast as a stock scat. She's getting there. Like you, it's not a claim that the 5.7 is as fast or faster. It's about having fun.

#46 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MuscleCarProf
#22 ·
Note I never said "this did not happen" as I do believe the OP had his fun as described. Never underestimate the driver mod or lack there of in any racing situation.

Reactions: SpeedShift
#24 ·
Guys check this out. Seem like a fair race. RT ran reasonably close to the SRT but the SRT was a little quicker.
Enjoy.
2008 Challenger SRT8 VS. 2009 Challenger R/T - YouTube

That's a 2008 SRT which has 60 hps and 55 lb-ft torque less than the 392.
OP's car is also modified with the scat pack stage 1.
As the OP said it was all for fun. Plus, we don't know all the details about the other driver. All we can do is to speculate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
Well to add fuel to the discussion, a friend of mine just picked up a bone stock '15 6M Scat with the exceptions of some drag radials that he popped on for the shenanigans and I ran him last night with my '12 R/T A5 - CAI, TB, Shorty's, Catless Mids, Exhaust, Tune, Tranzformer, and drag radials. I got him on the start but by 90mph he had pulled me back and by 105-110 he was just about 1/2 car out on me. His was the first 6M Scat I have run, all the others have been A8's and they usually pull me just a bit more on the big end. Either way, was fun and really that is why we have these 350+hp cars anyway.

#27 ·
I have not yet to see a 5.7 beat a 6.4 at the drag strip and not even being close I might add. No disrespect tho as another friend of mine is running NOS and we are neck and neck but I usually pull him on the big end and he gets me at the 60fts.

#28 ·
I have but I'm not discounting the driver mod at all. The crazy thing is, I've seen 392's run anywhere from 14's to 12's so a driver can make it happen. Remove that variable and stock for stock, the 392 wins all day. Hopefully nobody seriously thinks otherwise.

#31 ·
I have owned two 5.7 challengers in the past. One was a manual and the other the 5A. I now have an 8A Scat Pack. My last 5.7 was modified with intake, exhaust and tune. It still would not have had a chance against this Scat, not from a dig or a roll at any speed. The 5.7 is no slouch I agree but it is not in the 392's league. There is just too big a HP and Torque advantage with the 392. So, I don't know what happened in this race but I would guess that either the Scat driver needs a lot of practice or his car is not running right. Glad you had fun though and didn't get hurt.

#34 ·
I'd really love to see my car on the dyno. While the SP1 Kit is helpful, I'm not sure if it really increased horsepower but the new computer, CAI and Borla help it out, I doubt it would ever beat a Scat either. Like you said, it was fun!

#32 ·
I've owned both 5.7 and 392 in 6-speeds, and I found the real difference in 3rd and 4th gears. They both pull pretty good through gears 1 and 2, but winding out 3rd getting on the highway in the 392 feels much stronger than it did in the 5.7.

That being said, and since the 6-speeds are notoriously slower than the autos, I'm afraid to meet up with a 5.7 A8 at a stoplight now, lol! :icon_eek:

#33 ·
I have a '13 SRT a5. Saturday I was pulling on the highway and a 300C tried to get around me. I was going about 35 and he was probably going about 45 when I stomped on it. To my surprise my car didn't downshift into as low a gear as it needed to and the 300 almost passed me. As the rpm's came up, around 60 mph, I started to pull on him. If the car had downshifted properly I would have left him in the dust, instead it was actually a race. Those 5.7's can get ya' once in a while.

#35 ·
I've owned both an R/T auto and now the SRT auto. The R/T was tuned while the SRT is all stock. While the R/T was fun and I really like the car, the SRT is on another level altogether. The biggest difference for me is the difference in torque which translates in much more violent acceleration. I regularly beat Camaros SS and Mustang GT's now. I never beat a camaro SS with the R/T.

#36 ·
I have driven the v6, rt, 392, and now a supercharged rt and like i said before the speed difference is not that much between cars. The rt is a little faster than the v6 and the 392 is a little faster than the rt. People upgrade and convinced themselves that its a giant difference. I drove my wife's stock 2013 challenger and took it up to 120 one night even though my car feels more powerful its not enough to say my car is in another level. The hellcat is on another level. I raced a corvette in my stock challenger and it was on another level. Unless you can blow the doors off of the other car like the vette did me your car is not on another level

#38 ·
I have driven the v6, rt, 392, and now a supercharged rt and like i said before the speed difference is not that much between cars. The rt is a little faster than the v6 and the 392 is a little faster than the rt. People upgrade and convinced themselves that its a giant difference. I drove my wife's stock 2013 challenger and took it up to 120 one night even though my car feels more powerful its not enough to say my car is in another level. The hellcat is on another level. I raced a corvette in my stock challenger and it was on another level. Unless you can blow the doors off of the other car like the vette did me your car is not on another level[/QUOTE

For 2015 Car and Driver tested both the 5.7 and scat pack challengers. A manual 5.7 car turned a 13.7 quarter at 103. The 8A Scat they tested turned a 12.6 at 114. In my opinion, over a full second and 11 MPH faster in the quarter is getting your doors blown off because that should translate to multiple car lengths I would think. You guys that track your cars a lot can correct me if that is wrong but I have heard that on average .1-.2 sec's equals a car length in a race. Granted the 8A 5.7 would be closer but not that much closer. When you factor in that many Scat owners are turning even lower times with just a good set of tires, yeah I still say the scat is on another level. But in the end it is all just different opinions. What is fast to one man is not so fast to another. What defines getting one's doors blow off is different too.

#37 ·
I did lose to a C6 Z06 after the 1/8 mile, but regular C6's and C7's, I do just fine against those with my stock Scat Pack...well I do have good tires, but that's all this car needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.