Bad R/T Wreck, Need Advice - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean'n'Mean View Post
It tears me up but my R/T is in purgatory right as now and I need some opinions.

Last weekend I was almost hit by a drunk driver in black cavalier that was taking a turn way to wide, I was going 35 around the same turn and when I swerved to avoid his dumbass, my dumbass ran my pride and joy 2012 R/T 6 spd over an 8 inch curb. Of course, the cavalier man drives off without stopping.

The car is in need of serious repair, but has not been declared a total loss by my insurance. I've paid the 500 dollar deductible, but the car is getting nearly $9000 in repairs. Just some off the items needing replaced: New lower Front Grill, New front bumper, new rt front fender new radiator, new radiator mount, new ac system, new front 20in wheel, new tire, new tpms and abs sensors, new front rt suspension assembly ( all bars, knuckle, shock, upper/lower control arms), new engine crandle, new tire rods, and new rocker moldings. just to name some of the needed repairs.

The repairs are being performed by a Chrysler certified collision center, and save for the paint job, I'm led to believe that my warranty will still be intact.

Nevertheless, I'm still heartbroken over the car and shook up from the accident. It will change my life in the sense that I will always take turns slower on public roads, and DRIVE MORE DEFENSIVELY.

I'm asking if you think the car will drive the same after all these extensive repairs are completed. My R/T has just under 10,000 miles, and a great deal of TLC. But I'm concerned that it will never ride the same with new parts on one section of the car, with slightly used parts on the other sections. Along with the added hassle of a more complex maintenance schedule. If I notice a major difference, I'm considering selling the repaired car, at an unavoidable loss, then taking some time to save up for another.

What do you think? Is my Beauty worth saving? I'm tearing out my hair over this
Depending on circumstances of course, shoulda let the a$$hole hit you. Course i can't say, wasn't there. It should be good if the shop is good. Hope all works out well for you. Keep us up to date and if your not happy with the work/repair, do NOT accept it. Insist on what YOU WANT and don't let them persuade you otherwise. Best of luck.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice guys.

Indeed the airbags did not go off, and I've heard this place is one of the best in the region for Chryslers collision work. So its possible it will drive ok.

I'm wasn't ever looking to keep this car for a few years just to sell it and get some of my money back, I want it to be in my driveway when I'm on my deathbed! That being said, if it drives well I'll certainly keep her as my daily driver and mod it out gradually.

I really don't want, nor can afford a new car. The bluebook estimates I'll take a hit of about 10 grand selling the car in repaired condition. However, if the repaired car does not drive well I will stick with the issue and keep my insurance from just closing the claim.

I've been told the repairs should be complete in a week or so, holding my breath til then
#13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM

I've been an owner of a body shop for over 35 years and you should not have any problems. The insurance company is responsible to return the vechicle to pre accident condition. They are responsible for the repairs to be correct. The body shop is responsible for the repairs on your vehicle also. If this is a certified shop through one of the major paint manufactures, PPG, Dupont, etc. all of the paint work is LIFETIME WARRANTEED. Be sure to ask the repair facility if they are a certified shop and get a written warranty. Note: we keep a copy of the warranty framed on the wall for all our customers to see.
You should be fine and should have no problems. Keep in mind, all of us are human and we do make mistakes... If you find a problem, present it to the shop manager and they should take care of it with a smile.
I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, you can pm me.

Also, do not worry about closing the claim as we have had claims reopened a year after the accident.

Last edited by garylee; 11-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8man View Post
A long time a go, in a galaxy far, far away, folks used to forage for parts at junkyards and cobble together some pretty fast machines. I think you are obsessing about the imaginary "some parts will be older/newer than other parts" syndrome.
I think there's a lot of truth in that and that the damage is often psychosomatic after a wreck (the 'trust' is gone). Since Clean'n'Mean can't afford to just fix it, replace it, and take that hit... he should probably take it in stride and realize that it's part of life: cars age as soon as we drive them and they're just machines. It'll be fine as a daily driver.
I also think that hitting a curb instead of another vehicle was the right thing to do (on top of a natural reflex) no matter how wrong the other driver was. Cars are deadly weapons. Now critters are another story, hit them instead of losing control. That no one was hurt is a happy end result.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 AM

Good luck with everything C&M
I really feel for you
Every stone chip, mysterious roof dent
Micro scratch etc.. Makes me sick
I was cleaning my engine cover the other day and put it on a towel on my other cars sun roof to dry and a gust of wind slammed it on the driveway scccrtratch!
Sometimes I do some stupid $#!+
Anyway hope it works out.

Last edited by TRDutch; 11-16-2012 at 05:04 AM.
#16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 AM

I wouldn't worry about the carfax showing up. My 97 Cobra suffered $8000 in damage in 2001, was repaired and the accident didn't show up on Carfax, my 98 Corvette was flooded in my driveway and it took $3000 to get it running again, it too never showed up on Carfax. Sold it to Carmax got top dollar $16,000 due to the low mileage, 35k in 2007.Both cars drove just fine after repairs.

In the order I installed them K&N drop-in,suitcase replaced with two magnaflow double offset 2.5" in and out, Jet 180* thermostat. Predator 93cai tune, clean air tube, resonator delete , Fastman ported throttle body. , SRT8 suspension up grade, Hood struts Best 1/8th mile 2.01 60 ft.,8.49@83.78, DA 88 Only 1/4 mile 2.11 60 ft.1/8th 8.71@82.77 1/4mi.13.41@ 105.49
#17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to SuBXeRo
if the frame is laterally off, you are in trouble. Cars are never the same after an accident, never perfect again. You just hope they will drive and feel the same and drive as they should. hopefully itll be ok andyou can continue to enjoy your car

"The Black Beauty"
2012 Challenger R/T Black with Super Trak Pak with 5-Speed
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Deck (running 3-way network mode)
-Arc Audio KS 300.4 - 90 watts X 4 channels @ 4 ohms for front stage
-Arc Audio KS 300.2 - 700 watts X 1 channel bridged @ 4 ohms for subwoofer
-Hybrid Audio Imagine I69-2 Woofers and Sundown Tweets
-Dayton Audio 8" rear deck IB subwoofer
#18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,062 Posts
That's true, but 'not the same' doesn't mean 'unsafe'. It may be a more economical and ethical solution to just hang on to the car and drive it into the ground, rather than pass it on to some poor sucker on the used market. It might need more frequent alignments or pull to one side more at times, but as long as it's minimal I wouldn't sweat it too much (most cars with a few miles on them end up with some quirks).
#19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM

I'll tell you this: If the same happened to me I would absolutely keep her if the repairs were done right, and if they weren't I'd scream and yell until they were! Any other car wouldn't be the car that had my name on the factory sticker.

Tweaks:
Functional Hood Scoops
Amber Delete Turn Signals
OEM HID headlight retrofit
Plastidipped: Stock 18" wheels, AC Panel bezel, console bezel, fuel door
MOPAR black steering wheel inserts
Rebadged by Nate
MOPAR sequential tail lights
Two-tone Katzkin interior
Purple cupholder LEDs
LED map/trunk/plate lights

Last edited by Kivuli; 11-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
#20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Take it to the best, most modern body shop that is recommended by your insurance company.
Do Not Under Any Circumstance have your vehicle repaired at a body shop that is not approved by your insurance company.

The reason is, if you have it repaired by a body shop that is not recommended by your insurance company, they will not under any circumstance stand behind the repairs if problems are found down the road after you have signed the insurance payment check over to the body shop.

I am to be knowing of this......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode