Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Cam done, supercharger?

15K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Pector55 
#1 ·
I did my cam and got 411 rwhp. I'm itching to do a Procharger. If that puts me in the 510-530 rwhp, can the internals take it? Do you suspect a short engine life?

#4 ·
Stock bottom 5.7's are good for about 8 psi, but I really recommend you stay at 7 psi. Your engine will be fine at these levels. The stock A5 tranny is only good for about 550 rwhp. Just curious, you got 411 rwhp with just a cam??

#5 ·
As I understand it from a local performance shop. It's not the boost pressure that cause's problems but air temp that goes into the fuel and into the cylinders. Intercoolers only do half the job. You also need a Meth kit and a secondary air sensor to combat the high heat air before it goes into the cylinder. The ECU needs this info in order to adjust and add more fuel to keep the engine from Pre-detonation. I think I explained this correctly.

#6 ·
If you are using an NA cam you might want to change to a blower cam after the supercharger. An aggressive NA cam won't hurt you and will give better numbers than the stock cam, but you might be leaving a bit of power on the table.

#8 ·
Nice! I dyno'd at 423 after installing my 270 comp cam and exhaust set up. After adding the D1 procharger my RWHP increased to 550! :rocker:

#11 ·
Any time that you force a motor to operate beyond its intended capacity, you will shorten its life. It's only a question of how much.

I had a Whipple installed on my '16 R/T knowing that that would be the case, but I'm good with that. I'm willing to trade a shorter engine life for more fun, and I intend to maintain the motor regularly so I don't expect it to go *that* much sooner.

To answer your question about internals, my motor is stock (including the cam), I'm running eight pounds of boost, and I have 500 rwhp. I'm sure your motor would be fine at 510-530, but if you run more than eight pounds, you're pushing your luck unless you forge the bottom end.

Keep us posted.

#14 ·
Hi Guys,

It's full exhaust(w/shorties) and Greene Racing cam Stage 2 LL 204/222, tuned by Jay Greene.

Mark

Reactions: PSM450
#17 · (Edited)
Have you had it to the track yet? I'll bet his LL cam retains a healthy bottom end. We only ever talk about peak hp numbers when we mention dynos but Jay is smart about designing his cams to have a wide power band.

#15 ·
A real tune on a real dyno is the only real way to get best performance and safety of a stressed engine.
Data logging is less than optimal and gives false HP/Torque numbers. I can get 50 hp showing with the engine idling and the car coasting down hill on a log.

#18 ·
Hey guys,

I did the Stage 2 LL 204/222 Greene Racing Cam. Greene Racing did the tune. Believe it or not I added A throttle body spacer(Airaid) to that original level of build and ended up with 417RWHP, go figure(seems the velocity of air trumps volume, or, I could be wrong-but these are dyno redults, I'll take the extra 6 hp). I recently added a ported 392 Intake Manifold and SOS ignition coils, I'm looking forward to getting the set-up re-dyno'd to see where I'm at. I'm wanting 450'sh. NA was my original goal, but 500NA rwhp is elusive or crazy expensive. That's why I'm considering a Procharger.

Mark

#19 ·
Hey guys,

I did the Stage 2 LL 204/222 Greene Racing Cam. Greene Racing did the tune. Believe it or not I added A throttle body spacer(Airaid) to that original level of build and ended up with 417RWHP, go figure(seems the velocity of air trumps volume, or, I could be wrong-but these are I'm wanting 450'sh. NA was my original goal, but 500NA rwhp is elusive or crazy expensive. That's why I'm considering a Procharger.

Mark
I was around 430whp NA and just added a Whipple. I'll get you numbers next Sat but I have downgraded my pulley to lower my boost to 9psi.

#20 ·
Oh, my buddy runs Jay's Stage 3 can on his '14 Charger and I tuned him as well. He added a ProCharger and he is going to the same dyno day.

I estimate that we will both be in the 550 whp range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.