Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Clicking sound in 5.7 Mopar 10?

15K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  runner2go 
#1 ·
Help? My new Mopar 10 Hemi makes a ticking sound like a clock, very audible at idle. I pulled up to the bank and McDonalds drive thru and could hear a distinct regular ticking sound. Like a fast clock. Is something wrong?
It's not an engine 'knock', just a ticking sound.
Please help if you know of this or if this is normal. Thanks in advance..

#38 ·
Just came across this thread. Mine had the tick for 2500 miles. Did an oil brand switch and it went away. Now I have my oil custom made winter weight 7.5w x 23w and 12.5x35 summer at track oil.
Something to think about, when you hear the loud ticking so does you knock sensors, its then called false knock, the sensors dont know that and pull timing reducing HP and milage. My exhaust mufflers used to hit causing the knk sensors to pull timing also.
Yep the tick might not hurt nothing but milage and HP, I still dont think any should be ticking. My wifes new camery ticks and its going back.
FT

#39 ·
Do you recall what you switched to when the tick originally disappeared?

It's odd to me that just after an oil change (not necessarily changing brands - just fresh oil/filter) I don't hear the tick for a while. Then, it's back.

#40 ·
I have had 2003 5.7, 2009 5.7, 2009 6.1 and now a 2011 5.7 and they all
have the same little tick. There is no worry for you unless you hear KNOCK
KNOCK KNOCK. I did the same thing, listen to the tick and think the lifters are ticking. These engines are tough. Remember TIMEX watch ?
Take a lickin and keep on tickin. You will get used to it.
If you hear KNOCKING sound then you have a major problem.:thumbsup:

#41 ·
I still think most of you are hearing the fuel injectors. I bet if you disconnect them the ticking will stop.

:icon_biggrin:

:icon_aetsch:

#42 ·
I still think most of you are hearing the fuel injectors. I bet if you disconnect them the ticking will stop.

Pretty cool :thumbsup: How ever, I'll bet if I run the engine completely out of gas, I won't hear the ticking or certainly not the knock..:bigthumb:

#43 ·
I just read a new TSB on the 2009 5.7L Hemis in the trucks to replace #7 and 8 exhaust manifold bolts with stainless steel bolts. Maybe this same issue is in your car. it is exhaust ticking at the rear of the exhaust manifolds.

#44 ·
Thanks for the info sir. But my engine had the ticking in the top end (lifters) and with 1700 miles has all but disappeared. My fears are gone and my baby is really sweet now.
My Mopar/Corsa exhaust for auto came in last night and I will see when they can install it. The factory one was just too quiet.
Thanks again,,

#45 ·
Mine had it too for a while. Now it is quiet. I put the MOPAR cat back on mine. It is really nice.

#46 ·
The End

After all the posts and personal experience, the Hemi's have a louder ticking sound when they are new. At about 1500 miles, you have to listen for it to hear it. Just a chapter in the birth and life of a Hemi. Thread dead I think.
Thanks for all the input and interest. Here's to you guys :guiness:

#47 ·
After all the posts and personal experience, the Hemi's have a louder ticking sound when they are new. At about 1500 miles, you have to listen for it to hear it. Just a chapter in the birth and life of a Hemi. Thread dead I think.
Thanks for all the input and interest. Here's to you guys :guiness:
I'm not entirely sure about that...my 6.1l still makes the ticking noise until I actually start driving it around and it REALLY warms up (remote start it'll still have a few lifter ticks) and my engine has about 10-11k on it, I highly doubt there is anything wrong with my engine, so I guess it's just the nature of these suckers to tick tick away.

#50 ·
Mine definitely is not so noticeable now. I have to listen for it or, be in a drive thru (yes McDonalds sometimes...) to hear it.
Cheers to the Hemi. I'm glad its just part of the 'magic'.

#51 ·
What you are hearing is coming from the lifters. It is caused by having too much or too little preload on the lifters. My 318 in my 1994 Dakota did the same thing though not quite this loud until I installed adjustable pushrods in the engine. Didn't want to spring for a set of adjustable rocker arms. After the install, the ticking sound went completely away. Does the Hemi have adjustable rockers or non-adjustable rockers? Stamped or roller rockers? More than likely non-adjustable in which case I would guess that the lifters have to much preoad on them. You normally want only an 1/8 to an 1/4 of a turn of preload on the lifters. Sometimes having only that much preload can cause the valvetrain to chatter. You just give it a little more preload at a time until it quietens up. It will make the most power with only a 1/8 to an 1/4 turn of preload, but it might be noisy. If it has too much preload, it can be worth up to 20 foot pounds of torque if you adjust it out by using adjustable pushrods or whatever.
The only way to know which it is the next time someone has their intake off is to check the preload on the lifter. Or by calling Arrington or Speedlogix. One of them should know what the deal is with the preload.

#53 ·
Mine does it from idle to about 3000rpm hot or cold and seems to go with the speed of the engine. Oddly when in 5th or 6th gear i can barely hear it. I hope it is nothing and goes away...It sure is anoying though.

#54 ·
Mine started doing this when it was new, it wasnt very loud. Then it went away at 1000 miles when I did my first oil change with Mobil 1. Every so often I'll just barely hear the tick ticking but it's not consistent. And as others have observed, when I have a fresh oil change I don't hear it at all. Not worried about it in the least. Personally I think the engine just gets a nervous tick when it hears my right foot coming near!

#55 ·
My clicking situation is really weird. Cold start up never, but if you were to shut the motor off Before it gets warmed up....the next time you start it back up I sometimes get 2 seconds of noise. I learned to beat this if it's still cold and not all the way warmed up, I first rev and hold at 2000 rpms for a few seconds and then shut her off. Always works, no noise when you start it up. I think with doing that the oil pressure charges the lifters with more oil so there is no gap in the lifters.

#57 ·
The ticking is normal in the new Hemis, I hear it on every new Hemi powered vehicle that I do the PDI on. Some seem to be a little louder than others, but none have been excessively loud. I like it, it makes me think of the old 426 Hemi cars that I drove and worked on back in the day.

#58 ·
Mine went away today after 1600 miles on the car! Not sure if the weather has anything to do with it, its 90 outside in michigan today. on the drive home i was keeping the RPMs high and also was taking it slowly up to 5500 rpms and back down. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. So happy that stupid tick is gone. Now they only need to fix my nav, seat, upper console, door panel, sunroof and weather stripping....

#59 ·
now that fall is here it's worse than ever, weird

#60 ·
Turn the radio up... ;)

Or just park it for the winter like I do :icon_biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.