cold air intakes ?do they really work? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cold air intakes ?do they really work?

anyone here monitor their air intake temps pre and post install.
I got a diablo trinity where you can monitor this and and am not convinced
that my cai is doing much. I plan on putting the factory intake back on with
a k&n panel and comparing the temps. the cai seems to work until the underhood temp builds up. being that the iat sensor sits just behind the radiator on the intake tube maybe that part could be insulated.
I wonder if we are giving up hp for more air on the cai but getting hotter air
than the stock system, as they pull air from under the fender as opposed to
the engine bay. I'll post my result's as soon as I get the k&n panel and mod my factory intake elbow to accommodate the bt catch can.
PS anone got a k&n panel fs.
btw I will be comparing against a arrington cai.

An input fellas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, you are correct...when the engine bay temps reach roasting levels, it pretty much bakes through anything/everything in there, where cold air might chance to pass through. I, too, went down the path of employing insulation to major exposed intake tubing surfaces and the IAT. The engine heat can still eventually get through, but the heat flushes out a whole lot easier when you actually put some flow through it than when it was bare. When it was bare and temps got up there, it was pretty much a permanent condition until a "full night's" cool down.

I wanted to further experiment with insulating the intake runners on the manifold, but that seemed like a major task to achieve. If you look/feel on the underside of the plastic manifold, you can see they packed it with foam insulation there, too. I presume that shields the bottom of the intake from the unadulterated engine block heat (probably quells some engine noise, too, if you can believe it could possibly be noisier ).

Oh, that reminds me to get back to my original point- all the CAI in the world won't help, if the tubing that leads to the engine is baked hot enough to turn it into warm air anyway, right?

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by randycat99; 04-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Send a message via AIM to Keavdog
Definitey get more air out of a CAI. My new roto-fab does a pretty fair job of isolating the element and drawing from the cold air port like the stock air box.

A more interesting measure would be to look at your AFR. The CAI should increase the AFR and the tune should then add fuel to bring it back down. End result is more air/fuel and ideally more HP.

This was really noticeable when I replace my stock airbox after my maggie install with a CAI. My AFR numbers got dangerously high but the Stack Performance tune got me squared away.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 AM

Most of the "cold air" intakes dont do anyting over the stock airbox. Some actually do make a few more HP but not much. As far as the intake tube getting hot itself, well, there was an engineer on the Charger forums that went into detail about that. Cant find the tread. But anyway, he said that even if the intake tube was over 200 degrees the air would not be heated up from the hot intake tube. There was not enough surface area to affect the intake charge to heat the air. Also he said that the air was moving too fast through the intake to even be affected by the hot intake tube. So basically he said keep the stock airbox with a drop in filter OR get a known good cold air intake that actually gets cold air and has true gains on the dyno with the HOOD CLOSED. As far as heat soak on the intake air temp sensor itself, that's a whole different story. Relocating your intake air temp sensor away from the engine does help for a more accurate reading. Some of the good cold air intakes do relocate the intake air temp sensor.
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride
100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28
With drag radials, tune and CAI...............best of 12.008 @ 115.74

Last edited by SRT8Tech; 04-06-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM

A hot intake tube, itself, will not heat the air inside it up quick enough, if you are traveling at WOT all of the time, but who drives like that? If you are just driving your car around town or parking between trips, that is PLENTY of time to accumulate a plug of hot air in the induction system. It's not always going to be feasible go wide open on the throttle for 13 sec every time induction temps catch up with you. Surely a CAI should have more use than just delivering benefits on dyno and qtr mi runs, right? I'd think so, since I didn't buy my car for either of those uses, altogether.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: (47)
CAIs, at over $300, are not a good bang for your performance buck. I bought a MOPAR CAI because it looks good, sounds great, compliments my Billet parts, and may get less hassels from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
cold air intakes ?do they really work?-billet.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

IMO, a CAI alone will not not give you 300.00 worth of performance increase. Adding a CAI, 180 TStat and at least a canned tune will give you the best bang for the buck. Looking for more that 30 to 40 HP you're now looking at way more money and engine components like heads, cam etc.
Just my .02

Maggie, the other woman.. ^^^

It's stock.. Really..!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Devil
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Most of the "cold air" intakes dont do anyting over the stock airbox. Some actually do make a few more HP but not much. As far as the intake tube getting hot itself, well, there was an engineer on the Charger forums that went into detail about that. Cant find the tread. But anyway, he said that even if the intake tube was over 200 degrees the air would not be heated up from the hot intake tube. There was not enough surface area to affect the intake charge to heat the air. Also he said that the air was moving too fast through the intake to even be affected by the hot intake tube. So basically he said keep the stock airbox with a drop in filter OR get a known good cold air intake that actually gets cold air and has true gains on the dyno with the HOOD CLOSED. As far as heat soak on the intake air temp sensor itself, that's a whole different story. Relocating your intake air temp sensor away from the engine does help for a more accurate reading. Some of the good cold air intakes do relocate the intake air temp sensor.
You're absolutely right, AND a Dyno won't show gains or loss of a CAI because they don't have proper airflow over the front of the vehicle. Only way to show that would be in a wind tunnel.

Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog and Pictures

http://www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/hemipwr70
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (181)
Originally Posted by randycat99 View Post
A hot intake tube, itself, will not heat the air inside it up quick enough, if you are traveling at WOT all of the time, but who drives like that? If you are just driving your car around town or parking between trips, that is PLENTY of time to accumulate a plug of hot air in the induction system. It's not always going to be feasible go wide open on the throttle for 13 sec every time induction temps catch up with you. Surely a CAI should have more use than just delivering benefits on dyno and qtr mi runs, right? I'd think so, since I didn't buy my car for either of those uses, altogether.
I'm going to have to call this one... I agree with the previous poster that a hot air intake tube is not going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the air intake temp. Even at idle you've still got a decent airflow through the tube. As stated, there is not sufficient surface area on the air tube to make a significant difference in the temperature of the air travelling through the tube. If it were water flowing through, do you really think cold water would flow in one side and hot the other... OK, bad example. A buffer of warmer air may lie in close proximity to the tubing, but the majority of the air isn't going to be affected by a hot tube unless the temperature of the tube were extreme.

2010 PCP Challenger SRT8 6-speed
Hurst shifter | LockPick with front/rear cameras | Custom Badges | Mud Flaps | Sequential Tail-lights | Eibach Pro springs | JET 180 degree thermostat | Predator tuner | AAC purple Halos and grill LEDs | Meisterschaft midpipe/cat-back exhaust | AAC purple interior LED strips

2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 "Yellow Fever #285"
Too many mods to list...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM

It's not an issue of the tube rapidly heating up the air inside. Unless you are standing on the throttle all of the time, there is just not enough inflow to displace the accumulated air that did get a temp rise from sitting along a hot wall long enough. The overall mixture of air that gets into the engine is decidedly warmer than than ambient. It may not be 200 deg that the tube is heated at, but it certainly won't be the 70 deg ambient. The overall mix may get to 110-120 deg during hot engine bay conditions as read by the iat. If you let it sit long enough (with very little vehicle motion and throttle doing not much more than idle) the air may get to 150-160 deg.

It all comes down to how rapidly you are displacing air inside there. Chances are an induction system designed to support almost 400 up is going to see very low air movement relative to its capacity if you are just moseying around town. The engine will then become "soggy" until you find some place to open it up, even if you have a magic cai on the end of the tube. Once you are back to crawling around town, the hot air then resumes accumulation inside the tube.

I've read this right off the iat so either you believe me or not. If not, it doesn't effect me in the slightest because I've already used the knowledge and information to my benefit. If something different works for you, then be well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.