ESP/BAS + MR.Squiggles light won't go off. - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ESP/BAS + MR.Squiggles light won't go off.

Hey folks just got my car back and the paint is awesome. Anyway, when I started the car at the paint shop I noticed the ESP/BAS light was on.. which was wierd..

I drove it a few miles and then stopped and restarted and the lights went out, and then came back on again...

Has this happened to anyone else?

Tail of the dragon on 6/2/09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (5)
Re: ESP/BAS + MR.Squiggles light won't go off.

Only when I do the "key trick" to disable ESP and Traction Control... Sounds fishy...

Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM

It must have just been a glitch, hasn't come back on.. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Probably just a hiccup from the paint shop disconnecting the battery terminal during paint.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,095 Times in 752 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970383 View Post
Hey folks just got my car back and the paint is awesome. Anyway, when I started the car at the paint shop I noticed the ESP/BAS light was on.. which was wierd..

I drove it a few miles and then stopped and restarted and the lights went out, and then came back on again...

Has this happened to anyone else?

page 287 in the manual - to syncronize ESP/BAS

Synchronizing ESP

The Malfunction Indicator Light for the ESP is
combined with BAS indicator. If the power
supply is interrupted (battery disconnected or
discharged), the ESP/BAS Malfunction Indicator
Light may illuminate with the engine running. If this
should occur, turn the steering wheel completely to the
left and then to the right. The ESP/BAS Malfunction
Indicator Light should go out. However, if the light

remains on, have the ESP and BAS checked at your
authorized dealer as soon as possible.

Dealer may have disconnected the battery...this procedure is the same as 'Benz. Turn wheel completely lock to lock with engine running to re-set the system.

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter

Last edited by Hal H; 01-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
Blackout (11-30-2012)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Awesome info. You guys and gals are the best.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Hey 1970383
Mine did the same thing when I disconnected the battery to reset the PCM and TCM, I called the dealer and they want me to bring it in on monday, but the light went out own its own, (didnt know about the wheel back and forth trick) thanks "HAL H" for that info I'll try it next time it happens,
HAL H, you wrote "page 287 in the manual - to syncronize ESP/BAS" are you referring to the owners manual?
Scruggsy
Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,095 Times in 752 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 cudas past View Post
(didnt know about the wheel back and forth trick) thanks "HAL H" for that info I'll try it next time it happens,
HAL H, you wrote "page 287 in the manual - to syncronize ESP/BAS" are you referring to the owners manual?
Scruggsy
Yes, that's correct - in the owner's manual. I have a .pdf version I uploaded from Dodge.com so that I can look this up and copy+paste when questions arise.

Another thing that can also trigger a ESP/BAS warning is the brake pedal switch if it goes bad (was a common thing on 'Benz cars - cheap switch to replace) if the steering wheel re-synch doesn't do the trick. That would be covered under your 36mos/36k mile warranty.

One other possibility is if a ABS wheel sensor (or cable connector) goes bad, but that has been pretty rare. Unless something thrashed around inside the wheel well and damaged the ABS cable going from the body to the backside of the wheel hub - those can be easily replaced too.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
Yes, that's correct - in the owner's manual. I have a .pdf version I uploaded from Dodge.com so that I can look this up and copy+paste when questions arise.

Another thing that can also trigger a ESP/BAS warning is the brake pedal switch if it goes bad (was a common thing on 'Benz cars - cheap switch to replace) if the steering wheel re-synch doesn't do the trick. That would be covered under your 36mos/36k mile warranty.

One other possibility is if a ABS wheel sensor (or cable connector) goes bad, but that has been pretty rare. Unless something thrashed around inside the wheel well and damaged the ABS cable going from the body to the backside of the wheel hub - those can be easily replaced too.
....I just had my BAS/ESP light illuminate along with the traction control icon while in traffic this morning. The car has 8k miles and no modifications. I also didn't do anything recently (i.e. disconnect the battery) that I would think may have attributed to this event. The lights stayed on for the rest of my commute. Once I restarted the car, everything was normal.

Just for some background... I have also had intermittent occurrences of the "Key FOB Not Detected" issue and the stalling issue (happened 3 times.....it's an auto). Are there any other triggers other than what you mentioned above? You think it's possibly the brake switch as you mentioned? ....thanks Hal.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

I have the exact same issue with my 2010 R/T whenever I disconnect the battery. You just have to reset the BAS/ESP as explained above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.