Dodge Challenger Forum banner

headlights

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  THEM0DIFIER 
#1 ·
i just bought a new 09 r/t black challenger. I really like the headlights on the srt8 are they interchangeable? if so where can i buy them!

#2 ·
I assume you are talking about the HID bulbs...otherwise the headlights are the same between models. HID's are an available option on the R/T, and HID kits are easy to find.

#4 ·
You could change out for the HID lights, but it won't be cheap.

* HID housings (different reflector, lens assembly)
* ballasts
* HID bulbs

The OEM systems have a solenoid operated shutter that operates the high-beam mode (single bulb system). In low-beam it produces a cut-off pattern to prevent blinding on-coming drivers.

You can't just insert a Xenon bulb into the standard housings and call it done.

The HID option (on j-pkg R/T) was $695 from the factory, so that will give you an idea of the starting point...

#7 ·
What did the dealer do with your old headlight assemblys?I would love to buy them and install them in my 1964 sportfury, i think they would look awsome in the same spot where my headlights are and im pretty sure they would fit.I was thinking of using the chrysler 300 headlights it would be a great mod they almost look the same.

#10 ·
Had the local dodge enable DRLs on my RT, no charge. its the orange lights and they are on only when care is in drive. sweet look comming down the road and safer.

#15 ·
These cars use a one-bulb Xenon system. The HID housings use electric shutter mechanisms to switch from low beam (cut-off pattern) to high beam.

The bulb model is a D1S.

#16 ·
OK - then why all the fuss about Bi-Xenon and Xenon? I'm confused... I see D1S bulbs on eBay for $35 for two. I asked one seller if they provide both Hi/Low beams - he said no, low only because they were Xenon - not Bi-Xenon. I found B1-Xenon lights for $125 for the pair...

Which ones will work? Will both really produce both Hi/Low beams? Should I really spend the extra $$ for the Bi-Xenon? I understand the K/Kelvin/Color deal - that's not an issue for me... 4300K is stock and produces the most white light output - higher K is less white light, but more blue color (6-8K) and 10K is purplish.

My issue is I have a 2009 SRT8 Challenger - stock HID. The manual calls for a D1S bulb, but says it must be factory serviced. My right headlight is glowing pink/purple and very dim - (I have 95K miles on the car :) I think all I need to do is put in a new bulb.

I think the eBay bulbs are the way to go. Is this right? Will I still have Hi/Low like I do now?

Here is a separate question - doesn't the D1S bulb have the "ballast" in the base of the bulb? What is the square metal piece at the base of these bulbs (or capsules) called?

Mark

#13 ·
As far as I know, no one on this forum has priced a retrofit to
real factory HID yet.

Cliff

#17 ·
#14 ·
I tried it but you need to cut into the harness and do some wiring to get the plugs to match and then you'll have the dealer change the voltage going to the lights(not sure if the dealer can even do it. So it wasn't worth it to me and I bailed on it as it is a time consuming job to get the housings out of the Challenger front facia has to come off. I thought the lights would just unbolt and then change some plugs but it is bit more than that. Best bet is to look for some used one from a salvage yard or on ebay buying the parts is expensive from from the dealer( hey would cost about $2000 from the dealer $130 x2 for the bulbs $200 x 2 for the modules and $650 x 2 for the housing= $1950 not to mention the HID Plug repair kit to get the plugs to match as well as charge to wiring(standard hasmore wires so something needs be figured out and then the charge to change the voltage))
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/factory-hid-conversion-14151/

#19 ·
Couldn't agree more. That's why I always encourage others to go with projector HID's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.