Dodge Challenger Forum banner

help me with this tick !!!

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  iamawild1 
#1 ·
ok guys the blacknight has a tick and its driving me nuts .. it started about 2 weeks ago , coming home about 100mile round trip once I pulled in the drive way and put it in park there it was tick tick tick tick ..... so the first thing I did was check the oil pressure it was at 34psi so I popped the hood and once I opened the door I count hear it , so I got under the hood and listened around still nothing . I turned off and checked the oil it was fine it was only at about 2200miles from the last oil change but I changed it once again to just see and checked the mids to make sure there tight and they were all fine started it up and ITS STILL HERE. I got under it and I cant hear anything. I can only hear it in the car.IMO it sounds like a lifter tap. it increases with rpm, but I cant always hear it , can some one point me in the right direction. I haven't had it at the track or ran it hard in amonth or so , she only has 34000 on it and I hate to take everything off just to take it in the shop but I don't know what else to do I don't wanna run it with the ticking going on ..

#4 ·
#5 ·
I had a tick that I couldn't hear anywhere else but in the car. I thought it might have been the fuel pump. What it turned out to be was a small exhaust leak in one of the joints in my aftermarket exhaust. I tightened that up and the tick went away.

#6 ·
the procedure to remove the tick is to warm up the engine; once at temp, run the engine at 2k rpm for 5 minutes at least

then go onto city driving for 15 miles with no hard acceleration and deceleration as marshaling the car is what causes tick in the first place; sudden accelerations with WOT one after the other suddenly followed by hard deceleration with cause tick and get the lifters to reduce preload; if it persists you may have a collapsed lifter but i would think the valvetrain would be really noticeably noisy for you to tolerate that

usually a noisy lifter is best heard from the wheel well; what you also hear when the hood is up is the combination of injector pulse and valvetrain

it can be both sides or one

once you have driven 15 miles in the city, go drive at highway speed at constant speed at around 2k/3k rpm for 20 miles;

at this point the lifters should have filled up with enough oil as you were driving constant 55/60 psi pressure

oil and filter are a big factor and driving habits; i have tick that comes and goes and it is link directly to 2 factors:

the oil i use where Red Line will create massive ticking and where SRT Penzoil makes it quiet as a bird and pur like a cat; i use the SRT oil filter; i would not use anything else if it fits your engine

i occasionally get the tick under Penzoil when i drive like an ass in the city and marshall the car like no tomorrow; then no matter the oil the tick is back; all I have to do then is to drive on the highway for a week end trip cruising along at 2.5k/ 3k or take it to the track where i rev it for 200 miles over a week end between 4.5 and 6.5k

taking a car to the track and opening her up makes wonders especially when you have fresh oil

because of the track use i change the oil every 4 to 6 weeks

not sure what engine you have and not sure if u have a supercharger or not

Good Luck

ODP

#7 ·
yeah I cant hear it any place but in the car and its not always there once I start It up it is noticeably louder and I can take it up the road and back a few miles and it about goes away, if its no big deal that ill be fine but I just went from a 2012 ram with the hemi I had 40000 miles on it and never had it dunno tho ,,, im just hoping its not the damn headers that was a ***** to do.. but i t gain think its that just bc its only inside the car i can hear it

#9 ·
That's actually thicker than the 5w20 at similar temperature. 5w20is recommended for the 5.7. Also running that 10w40 can run the risk of damaging the vvt solenoid for the camshaft as it's mean for the thinner 5w20.
If their is a tick it needs to be elaborated more? Is it a pronounced tick that is present at idle and speeds up as the Rpms increAse or is it faint tap like a sewing maching that's only present under light acceleration but with the Rpms increasing and no noise at idle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
#13 ·
I have a 2010 rt challenger. It currently has 68000 miles. I got the car a year ago with 51,000 miles. And at 66,000 it started making a ticking sound. U can hear it from either side by the wheel well or front of the car. When in the car and windows up. I can't hear it. With Windows down I can hear it. It sounds worse next to a wall or in garage. When at idle and i push on gas a little bit the clicking gets faster. Once i pass 2,000 rpm rpmI can only hear the motor. No clicking. I took it to dealer. They thought it was lifters. They replaced and still clicks. They thought it could be a worn cam and they replaced that and the lifters a second time and the motor still makes a clicking sound. Within the week i will post a YouTube video of it. The dealer now tells me the noise is normal. I would like to hear feedback on this. Thanks

#14 ·
I've had the sewing machine tick on my 2014 R/T since new and is getting worst. Have over 7,000 mi. Around 2000 RPM or higher it gets very loud in the cab. Very annoying and makes me wonder what damage is happening. I took to my dealer last Tuesday (was taken before for this trouble before but was shrugged off, NORMAL!). They said something is definitely wrong this time. Don't know why this time and not the last???? :scratchhead: I guess the stars wasn't in line then???? Anyway,Waiting on Dodge NOW to approve the Star Case # S1309000013 procedure for bent retention tabs. Dealers hands is tied till it's approved & they are taking their sweettttt ttttttime! Going to call back Monday to check for any progress.This looks like a very common problem. This kind of ticking,clicking is not normal. I'm finally getting baby steps to find a fix for this. Everyone that has this problem ask dealer about this Star Case. If they say it's normal, IT'S NOT!
The engine runs great! This doesn't seem to hurt the performance now but who knows in time it might..... loud metal on metal clicking....uh...yeah, it just might. Just want my girl fixed & sound like it's supposed to.

#17 ·
It seems there are quite a few of us here with the problem of TICKING engines. I've created a separate area directly to Dodge Cares at Dear Dodge Cares: to address the issue with all of us. I am compiling a list of Challengers that have this awful ticking and if you would like to be included, just PM me by clicking on my name. I'm hoping if we have enough force behind us here that Dodge will finally listen and fix our cars. Some have gotten good service, some are getting good service, one here is getting a new engine.. while the rest of us listen to the tickatickaticka constantly.. I refuse to accept the noise I'm hearing as "normal". I want my car fixed and I'm sure many of you do too! Join me above and hopefully Dodge will answer sooner or later.

Thank you all for your support!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.