Dodge Challenger Forum banner

HOA Letter - Car too loud.....Need new Exhaust HELP!

26K views 62 replies 38 participants last post by  Burntclutches 
#1 ·
Have Flowmaster 40 series, no cats and a compcam with a heavy foot and a hill in my gated community where elderly people like to retire. Had it since October so I'm surprised I'm just now receiving a letter. I was thinking about having ATL Mopar Club and some mustang friends come to my house at 1AM for a party. $50 to the loudest car. Give my neighborhood a different perspective on LOUDNESS lol.

Will have to change mufflers and then maybe get cutouts so I can be loud when I want to. Funny thing is, I had magnaflows before and I thought they weren't loud enough....well have to go back to magnaflow.

I was thinking about the 3.00" inlet/outlet 5"x8"x24" body Oval Muffler
Magnaflow Performance Mufflers - Magnaflow Stainless Steel Mufflers - Round & Oval - 50+ Reviews

I understand that the longer (length 24" above) will be quieter and deeper vs something shorter - louder and higher pitch. Is 24" too long? Will I sound like a diesel truck or barely hear anything? Should I go shorter? I know the RT is 2.5" diameter exhaust stock but I also have JBA Catless Mids and I believe those are 3" in diameter so I might as well change out the whole back end to 3". What do you guys think? :SM030:

See less See more
#3 ·
First things first......read the rules of the HOA and see if it actually has a law that says you cant have a loud car. If not.....then your exhaust should stay right where it is....:) If there is a law then you better tell them to make sure to send the same letter to the waste management because those trucks are loud too.

#6 ·
LMAO nice one! I will def read the rules though lol. That made me LOL at work

#4 ·
But performance would decrease if I change to highflows right? I'm at 387rwhp and 388rwtq....is 3" still too big for that hp?

#9 ·
probably would get a small drop in performance with hi-flows. hard to say if that would be to much pipe for that power output. im just basing this off my experience with a few different systems. to much pipe is bad for low end grunt and you'd be increasing your pipe diameter by 3/4" total....that alot

#5 ·
I suppose they're bothered by something that doesn't sound like their Toyota Avalon or Camry...;)

The other thing might be is going through with less throttle to see if that helps. It might be the rumble makes windows or walls rattle, and that will definitely bother them...

Reactions: dcshawty123
#7 ·
I try to do low throttle...Maybe sometimes here and there i'll hit it a little harder to get up that hill...Maybe I'll try to just do that for now and see if I still get complaints.

#10 ·
The letter didn't mention a fine. I just looked at the policies and it doesn't say anything about noise pollution, exhaust, muffler, nothing.

#28 ·
The letter didn't mention a fine. I just looked at the policies and it doesn't say anything about noise pollution, exhaust, muffler, nothing

You know I'm sick and tired of people, hoa, the government and anybody else that sticks their nose in other peoples business, if your not purposely harassing these people I wouldn't worry, your by-laws say nothing about exhaust now but they will and if they want it changed have them pay for it, There are a couple of ways of dealing with a HOA, 1) start to complain about everything, all the things that you let pass before, garbage cans left in driveways, leaves not raked, snow not plowed or shoveled, bushes not watered enough or trimmed to your liking, grass cut two short, grass is wrong color, grass to long etc. 2) ask for a complete audit of the hoa books, question what their spending YOUR money on, question costs, find out if all the work being done is by licensed and insured people, find out if any are friends or relatives of hoa board members, 3) find out who's complaining and explain the rules to him, also you said in passing that you were going to invite people over with loud cars, Do it it works, I had a similar problem with a neighbor down the block about my Harley, he complained, he called the police, he lied constantly and we didn't even know each other, so I went down to his house and introduced myself, I explained to him I was the chromer and if he had a problem he should of said something to me instead of being a little sissy and calling the police on my me and my family, he asked who the chromer was and I told him if he ****** with me or my family again he'd find out. Well naturally he did and he found out all about the chromer, I had a customer appreciation party on a Sunday starting at 12 noon that went till 2am, there were 75 Harleys at that party on a street that has only 10 houses on it with only one way in and one way out, these bikes went in n out for 14 hours, after that party I never had one problem with him and I have never had another customer appreciation party lol. DON'T bow to people who have nothing better to do but **** with other people's lives, their probably jealous and miserable people.

#11 ·
if it is a bunch of old people. tell them that is stock and let them buy you a new exhaust. I have issues with my HOA too.. you have to read the rules first. if it is not in there, then tell them to shove it. Also, i wouldnt do anything to provoke them. dont just sit there and rev the car al all hours of the night

#12 ·
LOL right....I'll try to be lighter on the foot but yeah guess they can't really say anything.

#13 ·
You can get a smart phone app for decibels readings. Take some of your car driving by, the trash truck and other louder type vehicles. You'll be able to show the HOA your car isn't the loudest. It's just haters hating so just drive a bit quieter. I'd claim that it came that way and complain to Dodge.

#14 ·
Thanks guys.... On a more serious note if I do end up having to change my mufflers... Would my original post about the 24" in length magnaflow be a good muffler? And instead of changing to 3" maybe do 2.5" throughout? from midpipes back...My midpipes however ARE 3"

#19 ·
if its leagal in the streets .. they cant say chit ...... f that and f them ....

#23 ·
#20 ·
im going outside to rev my engine ....

#22 ·
The statement above says it all. I had the exact same issue at a condo I owned. The complained, I held my ground, they advised the bothered residents to call the police, the police came, I commited no crime and that was that.

Then I started driving it to work mind you I start at 6am. Before the complaint I had respect and never drove it out too early or late.

I hope everyone learns a lesson here. NEVER buy a home/condo in a assosiated neighborhood.... NEVER.

#24 ·
Just because it's legal on the "street", doesn't mean **** in a HOA. Some HOAs don't allow pickup trucks with an open bed parked outside your house. We have the same problem down here is FLA. I wish old people would just live in 55 and older neighborhoods, but nooooo, they have to live next to me!

Anyway, like others have said, if the rules don't mention noise, they can go pound sand. The problem is, some old guy is on the HOA board and all of his friends hate you!

I would study those rules again and if you have a friend that works in "law", get his/her advice.

Good luck with your fight, but don't cave too quickly.

Reactions: Ragamuffin
#25 · (Edited)
here's the problem...you have been singled and until your car is quiet like a Camry you are going nowhere except wasting $ on exhaust
leave it and tell them to f themselves

as an aside I could never understand the want/need to live in a HOA
not dinging on you personally man, but just a hot bed of bittcing, drama, and other people telling you how to live all I ever hear of them

who would choose that voluntarily?

#32 ·
I didn't choose it voluntarily lol. I'm living with my parents. We moved there when I was 14 for a good highschool. Age 21 I got this car and I'm 22 now. Took them a while to complain.

This is absolutely false. Once you are a member of an hoa, you are agreeing to abide by their rules. They cannot make you do anything illegal, but if your hoa has a rule about parking a boat in plain sight, or keeping your grass no more than 4" tall, it doesn't matter what the local ordinances are...you have to do what they say. On the other hand, ALL covenants must be written and distributed to all hoa members, and if there is no concrete noise statute in place, with limits, distances from houses, time restraints, etc, the lousy hoa can do nothing.

Stick to your guns, OP, and let us know the outcome.

GOOD LUCK!
Yes. Above is correct. There are different rules for things such as a boat, RV truck, parking on side of street, which side to park on but NOTHING about my BEAST of a car lol.

I won't be changing my mufflers.....i'll just use a lighter foot i'll try to keep RPMs at 1500-1900. Only thing sucks is I leave my house at 7:30am every day for work.

#29 ·
Yeah tell the HOA to pound sand....if your car is not violating any town/city/county noise laws, they can not do anything.

#31 ·
This is absolutely false. Once you are a member of an hoa, you are agreeing to abide by their rules. They cannot make you do anything illegal, but if your hoa has a rule about parking a boat in plain sight, or keeping your grass no more than 4" tall, it doesn't matter what the local ordinances are...you have to do what they say. On the other hand, ALL covenants must be written and distributed to all hoa members, and if there is no concrete noise statute in place, with limits, distances from houses, time restraints, etc, the lousy hoa can do nothing.

Stick to your guns, OP, and let us know the outcome.

GOOD LUCK!

#35 ·
Unfortunately in many places you cannot buy a house, condo, etc without being in an HOA - they're everywhere. They typically have their good points, just depends if any little Hitlers are on the board or management. We've lived in an HOA since 1995 and have not had any problems - well except for when we repainted the house and they wouldn't let me do Blue trim - has to be all desert colors. But there are some horror stories out there - one lady had her house auctioned out from beneath her in Sun City, Az a few years back. Another guy got in deep stuff because someone complained about his party and he told them to go pound sand - the complainer was on the board and started fining him and brought legal action, he caved just to make it go away. Trouble is they are their own little political unit and if they want to do something they can. Luckily these types are few and far between. Az has since passed laws limiting HOA powers to some extent but you still have to watch out. But the CC&Rs are the rules they have to live by too - maybe consult a lawyer to see what your options are and what they could do. If you're living with your parents they are the members and have to respond to any complaints.

Most likely it's just some old f-a-rt that can't stand to see anyone having fun.

Good luck.

#38 ·
If it passes state inspection, tell them to put it where the sun don't shine.My park manager complained about mine. Just had four friends with Harleys cruise through. My car is quieter than even one stock Harley.My car passed state inspection. End of story

#39 ·
HOA's are generally small minded idiots. I bankrupted mine when they sued me for parking my motorhome in my driveway.They won their case but judge allowed me three days before and three days after to load and unload.They filed on me again and forfeited the $10,000 bond they had posted.They are no longer .....Couldn't pay the attorney they hired.

#40 ·
Congrats,Comrade..glad to hear this ! This is incredible. So far ,a dozen or so have stated problems w/their HOAs or know of these power mongers. There are what now, at least 30,000 Challengertalkers? I'm beginning to surmise this is a larger problem across this America,,, Like one implied..there are "lil countries within a town[ship, county etc. Perhaps, some don't have much to do,are frustraded in life[I can relate],, and I guess is a "tension relief [valve].... I know some get off on it. My sister is a prime example [ I mean you won't believe what she's done to my 96 yr young Mom, brother and me..taking her to probate court to gain guardianship,claiming brother and me stealing her $$$$..it's cost $55,000+,,anyways]]]]..well My Black Widow sister just became on her HOA board...Well in connection with our court case, I got in her face about it and she said she was not afraid of me.... well Mom ,bro and me were at her Condo this day, I guess to drop Mom off for 'visit"... Well apparently a quite meek ,harmless oh maybe 30 yrs old had told sis she wasn't supposed to park near this spot.... Well I don't know all details but sis called the local cops on this poor woman.,claiming she had "threaten' my sister.. Listen , I've been around a lot of different types of people, from very affluent to the other end of spectrum. This woman may have had a slight,oh ok, mentally disadvantaged.. I could see this woman was no harm and wouldn't hurt a flly !!!! Cops took this poor lady away..probably to the station or a hospital...I even said something to the cop..how my sis is lying to us and her own Mom...Bigboy Cop replied,' Well ,she's not lying today !!This other different color:simmadown: of a cop gave a look at me..so I'm sure "nutcase sis" told them about me [lies of course] !!
{{In fact I wouldn't be surprised if sis will try to gain guardianship of that lady !!! I need to start another thread..on this guardianship subject.:phone:..all beware !}:read:}

#42 ·
Many states and counties do have ordinances for noise. An HOA also has a contract with the homeowner which they can enforce.

Your "right" to make your car really loud is clearly not more important to their right to peace in their own homes. If you want to rev up your car just do it somewhere else.

None of this should even need saying...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.