Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How hard is it to push in clutch on a 6 speed?

9K views 46 replies 38 participants last post by  kymmenentuhatta 
#1 ·
:disappointed: I have a Challenger R/T with a automatic. I have somewhat regretted the auto and actually wanted a 6 speed. I have bad knees with arthrits and that is why I did not go for the 6 speed and also the dealer did not have any to test drive either. How hard is the clutch on a challenger? I mean does it have a lot of pressure pushing back against your foot / leg? I have had standard cars in the past including jeeps, camaro Z28 and 2 mustang GT's. The camaro had a 80lb test pressure plate and when I had it I was much younger. Thanks

#3 ·
I'm 55 with mediocre knees. No problem at all. Not like my old '63 Plymouth Sport Fury. I think it is pretty easy squeezy. Somewhat surprised it is not firmer. I agree with the, If you are stuck in traffic comment though.

Gottago
6spd R/T

#5 ·
My SRT's clutch is actually a lot softer than my '07 Corvette. It's not quite as soft as my old '05 Cobalt which was harder than my old '90 ZR-1...

So I guess the answer is: It depends.

It's not too bad on the knees and I've driven it in traffic, but I'm still in good health and I'm 27 and I've never had knee surgery...

#7 ·
Clutch pedal is pretty light.
The repetitive motion will get old if you knee has issues..think twice.

I had knee surgery Nov. 20th and picked up my 6 spd. on Dec. 1st.
Took my brace off for the photo below and ride home. Was scary, but I got it home.
Been 7 months and I still have trouble.(right knee). had it been my left...I'd have to trade for an auto.

#8 ·
I think it's easy. I do have really strong legs, but it is easy enough to push with my hand. For me, it's no problem in traffic.

#9 ·
Dude...if your left knee looks ANY better than this:

You'll be just fine with the stick shift (granted I don't do go and stop daily commutes) it's a breeze to operate.

The fun factor is 10 times better with a stick...go for it. You won't regret it!

#10 ·
My knees pop like unbelievable and give me a fit. But no issue pushing in a clutch whatsover which I have done for decades. My right knee is no different from the left so appears the clutch is a non-contributor. The Challenger clutch is an easy deal. My V-10 5-speed truck is more stiff. No issue there either. The day I quit pushing a clutch is indeed the day they will carry me off this planet. Go for it!!!

#11 ·
How hard is it to push in a 6 speed clutch?

:eek:rangehat: I want to thank everyone for their input. I would like to try to drive one 1st and see if I can do it to prove to myself I can and also prove it to my wife too. But I will have to travel to another city to find a Dodge Dealer as they closed the one here in town that had been here about 50 years. I would also want to drive my auto there and that may cause some problems as they would want to know if I would trade it in. And you know how that would go.
It only has 1672 miles on it. I would probably do better to sell it myself. Thanks again!!!! Hillbilly from WV

#23 ·
I think the loss of feel is a combination of the hydraulic assist and the small lag in the electronic gas pedal. It is great once you aquire the feel. Easy pedal and easy on the legs.

#22 ·
How hard is it to push in a 6 speed clutch?

:eek:rangehat:Hey man that would be sweet. We for sure will have to meet sometime. But I don't know I would want to drive your baby. I would be sick if something would happen. I have a 35 year old son that lives in Knoxville and he was up here lately for a visit. I would not let him drive my RT by himself. How bad is that of me and I guess anal... My RT is white. I have been upgrading by adding 70 emblems, hood struts and other things that make it look like the one in Vanishing Point. It has most options except Nav. I recently started using the auto stick and it helps somewhat with the shifting issues. I guess I may just be having buyers remorse because I always wanted a stantard with a pistol grip. I had a 71 challenger in high school that was hemi orange and brand new. It had a slap stick in it. Dad paid new $3575.40 for it at the dealer that recently closed. thanks again to everybody. Aint this the best thing to able us to talk about what we love the most. Hillbilly....:).

#16 ·
I was going to get a Hemi Orange Auto...

until I drove the black 6 speed I'm driving now. I've been driving sticks since I was old enough to push down the clutch on a 1974 Dodge 600 grain truck and see over the dashboard. Compared to that, and my 3/4 ton Ram with a 6 speed Mercedes G56 tranny it's night and day. The truck is a pain to drive in traffic, mostly bc of the longer throw of the tranny, but the Challenger is a dream, even in traffic. I'll drive my truck home from work (interstate or backroads) and get the car to drive into town. The clutch is so light, it's not even noticeable when compared to anything else I've driven.

#18 ·
The clutch in the Challenger is one of the lightest pedals that I've ever driven. They did a great job in making it an everyday driver. The clutch effort is very low, the shifter is very easy. The Mercedes influence is obvious, it is a very refined package.

I think it's horrible for drag racing, but it is perfect for a street car.

#21 ·
I had ankle surgery on both ankles. Left ankle still has dead bone tissue in it. I test drove the SRT8 and an auto RT. I was limping around the next day because of the SRT8's clutch. I went back a week later and test drove the RT with 6 speed. No problems what so ever. I picked it up the following week.

#26 ·
surprising the challengers clutch is extremely light. i have driven gtis, jeeps, and pontiac gtos, and etc. and all had stiffer clutches. the hydraulics help a lot and i really never get too tired in traffic (maybe cuz im 20). Sometimes i kinda wish it was a little stiffer

#29 ·
I am 36 and healthy. My clutch leg never bothers me. Occasionally if I spend a bunch of time in stop and go it's actually my right knee that annoys me a bit. No biggie, I have another vehicle for carting the family around and road trips with the kid and dog. If my Challenger were a daily driver I probably would not have gone with the 6 speed. Too much stop and go on the roads I have to use around here.

#32 ·
My RT is almost to effortless. I drove a 12 SRT we took on trade last week and the clutch actually had a lot more feedback, I liked it much better. I'm not sure if it was factory or not, but I'm assuming just due to the nature of the beast the SRT would require a little more pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.