Dodge Challenger Forum banner

loud ticking noise when I open the door, start the car or stop the car

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am need of all your expertise, and knowledge. I have a 2010 r/t about 70k on it no issues at all And all I recently did was to change out the interior lights for the set of halogens and now my frikken car turned into Christine and makes random loud clicking sounds from the center of the dash, no more than 5 clicks either when you open the drivers side or pass door or when you turn the key or stop. Any info would be greatly appreciated...I haven't added any electrical mods at all just the interior light bulbs.

#2 ·
Not much specific help, but in my experience clicks in electrical is usually a relay. It could be tripping due to an increased load.. Maybe those bulbs are higher amps and the relay doesn't like it.

Reactions: Ts10r/t
#5 ·
Im having the exact same problem 2010 challenger RT..29,000 miles barely drive, my windows let up and down on their own, car unlocks itself, lights flash off and on as if you are unlocking the car with the remote..took my car to patterson told them EXACTLY whats wrong with it, took it in Mon 10/3/16 got it yesterday 10/5/16. was charged $492.16 and "Ty" said "you won't hear the ticking noise no more, we found the problem" he gave me a new key...walked me to theI opened the door no ticking noise, I was excited!! drove the car home I was on my lunch break, soon as I was leaving my hoise to go back to work, I opened the door the car STARTED TICKING AGAIN. I IMMEDIATELY called and spoke with Ty again he told me to bring it back so he can"hear it for himself" he kept opening and closing the door the car never ticked he said as if I were lying" see, it's fixed, I don't know what you are hearing" he keep telling me what I wanted to hear I asked him to keep the car let it sit a while and then open the door, he kept saying he fixed it, I kept telling him he didn't. I got so frustrated and proceeded to leave as "ry" was standing soon as I opened the door THE CAR TICKED his eyes bucked and he said"i'll be" then he gave me this bullcrap story that its the air conditioner and something is stuck in it..blah..blah and he estimated that I will cost me $800-900 to fix, I told him he should fix it for free cause he didn't fix it to begin with, he said it was a different problem. I left and call corprate and they have not called me back yet. I will NEVER purchase from patterson again

#7 ·
As has been offered up already, the clicking noise coming from behind the dash is one of the HVAC door actuators. Depending on year model and build options, there could be as many as 5 total actuators back there. There will be at least 3 no matter what year model or trim/options though (temp, mode, and recirculate).

The most common one to go out/go out first (in my experience and limited research) is the recirculate door actuator. It’s location is behind the glove box, on top of the blower motor. If it is the source of the clicking, it’s pretty easy to tell based on the approximate location of where the sound is coming from - below windshield and behind the glovebox in center of dash.

There is another door actuator that controls the location of the blower output (floor, dash, defrost) that is located further forward behind dash (closer to driver seat) and basically behind where the volume control knob or HVAC controls might be. It is visible from floorboard if you look up from where the accelerator is and right behind dash bezel.

There is another actuator that controls the temp of the air being blown out vents that is located directly in front of the heater core, behind the dash but closer to the firewall. That one can be hard to get to if replacement is necessary because it is behind the input/output pipes of the heater core.

Those last two are on the driver’s side of the HVAC box behind the dash. Cars with dual zone climate will have one or two more on the passenger side to perform same duties for that side of the HVAC system.

No matter which function the actuator performs or where it is mounted, they are all the same part. So each does not have its own part number, one part should fit any of the spots and perform any of the functions if properly commanded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.