Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Lowering the Challenger R/T

70K views 106 replies 49 participants last post by  BlackMagic 
#1 ·
Not a big fan of modifying suspensions of cars, but, one thing the R/T needs, IMHO, is to be lowered 1", mayber even 2".

I'm pondering a 6 speed R/T with 18" Rims. Looking at one on the sales floor, and I can't get over how tall it looks, and how much space is betwixt the wheels and the fender openings.

I don't want a low rider, but, I can't help thinking how much better the R/T would look lowered (front & rear) 2".

Is it feasible? What about clearance and rebound? Anybody do it yet?

LJB:eek:rangehat:

#55 ·
I will be going with the KW coil-over shock system that is fully adjustable and is said to improve ride quality over stock, as long as you dont set them too agressive (for track purposes). StackPerformance will be doing setup and installation next week. I will post pics of project.

#58 ·
My $.02:
Experience from spirited driving in my former Bavarian make showed that Bilstein offered sport shocks/struts purposely for shorter sport springs. Interestingly enough these sport shocks/struts had the same valving and dampening as did the standard heavy duty shocks&struts. If I read correctly the sports are simply shorter.

So to shorten this up, seeing how the SRT8 comes with bilsteins, maybe one can order the parts separately along with a set of eibach or comparable springs and end up with a semi-aggressive package for less than $700.00.

Other points of interest: the R/T comes with Sachs shocks&struts which I believe is similar or the same as Boge (one company bought the other...or something to that effect). Sachs shocks&struts have come as stock equip. on BMW's, Audi's, and other benchmark euro goods..... so Maybe we good for more than just straight line performance....just maybe

#59 ·
I come from lowered honda, i had a import tunner shop in columbus ga. and it's killing me how high my se is sitting. i was gonna drop in on 22's but seeing a 2" on 20's i think thats the better way to go. oh and if you are worried about blowing your struts down the road just keep your old springs around so if thay do go bad just put the old springs on and take it to your dealer. that should be under waranty. at least mine is bumper to bumper. i could be wrong tho!

#62 ·
. . . oh and if you are worried about blowing your struts down the road just keep your old springs around so if thay do go bad just put the old springs on and take it to your dealer. that should be under waranty. at least mine is bumper to bumper. i could be wrong tho!. . .
:nono: .

#60 ·
This is valuable information if previous reports of the chargers suspension being the same as our Challenger's:

Eibach offers dampers (shocks&struts) that are tailored specifically for the use of their springs.... the kit below is $421.00 USD. Assuming you can find the springs for less than or around $200.00 USD, you've got yourself a sport suspension that is reliable, dependable, and from a name you can trust.

AJUSA - 2008 DODGE CHARGER - Eibach - 5 #5

#63 ·
we just installed the new mopar coil overs and spring kits on 2 r/t s' here. which are heading to sema, red r/t and silver r/t both have the mopar hood, scoop, ram air, CAI, exhaust. the red one people have seen, been out since last year sema i think, has the heritage wheel also. it also has the new hurst 6 speed shifter. before adjustments, i had all coil overs down to the bottom, looked nice, but the guys from mopar wanted the front end up alittle. looks very good!!!!!:woot::bigthumb:

#65 ·
Just got the car back from lowering. Amazing how just lowering a car 1.5" can change the entire look of it. And it looks awesome. I will post pics of the final result tomorrow. Stack Performance is who installed the KW Coil-Overs will e-mail me install pics as soon as he gets back from SEMA I will be posting them as well. I was his last job before leaving, I'm glad he found the time. I will be taking her out tomorrow for a drive and will report on the handling. Happy Halloween all. Be Safe.

#71 ·
These are the KW v2 which means they are fully adjustable (rebound, dampening) so I paid a little more for that. $1650.00 the great thing aout them is I have the option to go lower or raise them back up anytime I want. I will probably be going back up about 1/4". I'm not sure yet if I will be doing so, I want to get some more miles on them this weekend and decide then.

#76 ·
I'm lowering mine tomorrow to SRT height and handling by putting on an actually SRT suspension that someone took off that only has 1200 miles on it. Check with your local performance shops to see if they have any laying around.
I'm getting mine from Stack Performance. I'll take some photos post.

#78 ·
superman112,
yea, it's the same car but you need to put the springs and shocks and something else to do it.
The whole kit.
They did mine today. Wow!! this thing corners soo much better now! I'll post some pics in a few days after it settles a bit more.
We measured and it seemed to drop about 1/2" so far but but is supposed to drop more in the next few days.
Even with the 1/2" drop it seems way lower surprisingly and it's taking a bit to get used to my car sitting lower.

#83 ·
I really cant see dropping the car 1" causing you to blow struts as fast as they are saying. will it shorten the life of them, probably a bit, depending on how many big bumps you hit. but even if you dont lower your car the struts arent going to last forever. id personally lower the car, and if I have to get new struts 6 months earlier then if i had the stock set up, i think it would be worth it.

#84 ·
We did the SRT fronts on my car and it dropped just over 1". VERY happy with this setup.

#87 ·
I want to do this to my R/T as well. The back is fine. I just want the front an inch lower. Did you just swap out the front springs for the SRT springs? That's it, nothing else? Did you have to make any other adjustments?

#86 ·
Thanks! Just the fronts. $100.

#88 ·
No other adjustments. Just put them on, and everything is perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.