Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Lowering the Challenger R/T

70K views 106 replies 49 participants last post by  BlackMagic 
#1 ·
Not a big fan of modifying suspensions of cars, but, one thing the R/T needs, IMHO, is to be lowered 1", mayber even 2".

I'm pondering a 6 speed R/T with 18" Rims. Looking at one on the sales floor, and I can't get over how tall it looks, and how much space is betwixt the wheels and the fender openings.

I don't want a low rider, but, I can't help thinking how much better the R/T would look lowered (front & rear) 2".

Is it feasible? What about clearance and rebound? Anybody do it yet?

LJB:eek:rangehat:

#2 ·
Eibach pro kit is a nice choice!. One of the guys in the SRT forum just did his with the Eibach kit and it looks very nice!.. They make really nice suspension stuff. That will be the one I go with. Ride is generally firm but not overdone!

#4 ·
Lowering springs: they work as intended on these cars but we expect that the Challenger will face the same dilemma that the LX cars have and that is that there is no good lowering shock/strut on the market. Lowering the LX's results in blown shocks after about 6 months to a year and the drive on heavier cars such as these leaves a little to the imagination. Our recommendation is to either go with coilovers (combined spring/shock) which will run the same price in the long run as lowering springs and shocks or to at a minimum upgrade to the SRT-8 suspension which assuming all things being equal, will have probably about an inch drop off the R/T's stance.
This statement from HHP has me worried. This means that the 1" lowering springs from Eibach that moparsupercenter has for $200-300 will result in eventually blown shocks? Are we limited to spending $1k+ on some coilovers just to get the 1" drop?

#5 ·
I like the lowered look, just worry about the ride quality. I installed a cup kit on my 97 Jetta (dont laugh!) while it handled like a slot car, the top speed lowered, mostly due to my shear terror while bouncing around at 105 mph. The Hawaii roads arnt exactly smooth, but i could go faster with stock suspension!

#6 ·
I read somewhere, that there are several thicknesses of coil spring cushions for these cars. It said that the Challenger has the thickest ones, and a thin one will give considerable drop. Is this just too simple, or incorrect? Anyone know the part numbers of spring cushions?

#10 ·
Lowering the Challenger R/T - blown shocks

The best approach is to get sport shocks specifically designed for lowered cars that have been modified with higher performance springs.

I've seen this issue crop up with other makes, where the stiffer springs
put more demand on the shocks and the added friction and heat on the shock will create failures. These generally are designed for shorter travel and have different compression and rebound rates factored around stiffer suspension springs.

#11 ·
Re: Lowering the Challenger R/T - blown shocks

The best approach is to get sport shocks specifically designed for lowered cars that have been modified with higher performance springs.

I've seen this issue crop up with other makes, where the stiffer springs
put more demand on the shocks and the added friction and heat on the shock will create failures. These generally are designed for shorter travel and have different compression and rebound rates factored around stiffer suspension springs.
OK. So, assuming some manufacturer comes up with a 'proper' setup, lowering the car the requisit amount ( 2 inches), I'm to assume that ride quality may suffer somewhat. Correct?

LJB:eek:rangehat:

#12 ·
if you can find progressive rate springs, you could preserve ride quality somewhat.

As shocks go, probably getting Bilstein, KYB GR2's would be good choices - they may not have listings yet for Challenger (susp. tuning is slightly different from Charger, bit more compliance in Challenger setup?)

#19 ·
For me, the stock R/T stance is just right. :D

#27 ·
Now that looks awsome. I m gonna do both shocks and springs. It only makes sense that it would help preserve some of the ride.

#29 ·
Yeah, that lowered R/T in the pic does look killer.

#30 ·
still, I wonder about the ride quality with a 2" drop. Sure it looks GREAT! But who cares if it rides like crap and you loose top end speed.

#32 ·
I have a 2008 SRT8 with the 20in wheels. If you upgrade to 20in wheels that helps the gap between the fender and wheel a lot. From experience having my GT 500 sent out to Vegas earlier this year to have the GT 500 40th Annerversay package they installed the eibach system. Now I have to be so carful all the time or my front spolier will get messed up. If you plan on driving your car a lot I would not lower it. Just put the 20in wheels on.

#33 ·
Now I have to be so carful all the time or my front spolier will get messed up.
I was just going to mention that. I've already scraped my front spoiler 2 or 3 times and I only have 500 miles.

#36 ·
I had an 85 Mustang GT. Replaced the shocks and struts with stiff hi-perf units. Installed progressive rate 2" drop springs. Replaced all the suspension bushings with polyurethane. Installed subframe connectors. Sure the car rode a little stiffer than stock, but it handled like a dream. And no, you don't lose any performance in a streetable car. Obviously drag racing suspension and street driving suspension are completely different, but if you know anything about setting up a car for racing you already know that. Moral of the story- unless you drive like a cadillacin' pimp or Don Garlits, stiffer, lower suspension not only looks better but it increases real world driving performance.

#42 ·
If you used stiffer springs that may explain that.

#46 ·
I'm getting the 18" rims too, and I agree with you (a 1" drop would make it look better, but I heard something about this putting stress on the shocks). The wheel wells leave plenty of room for 20s, and some people have even put larger wheels on, although I think that's going too far. IMHO, I like the tall ride... it lends an air of superiority, not to mention improved visibility. :thumbsup:

#48 ·
Has anyone checked with Dodge parts to see what the actual suspension differences are in the SRT8 and R/T to get the 1" difference. May be as simple as changing to the SRT8 springs, springs pads/cups and shocks?

Just wondering? :icon_confused:

#51 ·
If you have a "6 speed R/T" you will have the Nivomat self leveling shocks in the rear so you "WONT" be able to lower the rear without changing the shocks and springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.