Max Tire Size - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Max Tire Size

I couldnt find an answer to this question anywhere on the forums... Does anyone know what the max tire size is for our R/T's? I want to go wider in the back but it doesn't look like it has much room. I know the 255's are an option for the srt8 but ive seen some tire websites selling 275's for our challenger. I'de like to know the max size without rubbing so I can buy my Nitto Invo's online and take them to the store to be mounted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Photos: (0)
Re: Max Tire Size

I just put 255/40/20's and 295/40/20's on my R/T. My wheel size and offset was: 8.5" with 20mm positive offset on front and 10" with 35mm positive offset on the back. The fronts fit perfect. The backs however stuck out about 15mm more than I like AND they rubbed inside the fender wells. I drove for 40 miles on a very curvy road to test the setup under a lot of conditions and never had a problem with the front but the back tires wore through the plastic of the inner fender well and started to remove paint on the metal behind that plastic. I returned the wheels and tires and intend to look into modifying the inner fender wells so that whatever tires I end up with in the future will have more clearance.

Last edited by brandono; 11-13-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 AM

I want to go wider but the stock tires are of such good quality i hate to lose em. Michelin Pilots. Would've loved to have Pilots on my last car!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 AM

Photos: (12)

The Michelin Pilots are a phenomenal tire, in a lot of different ways, they would be tough to give up.

Mods:
SRT-8 Hood Scoops, custom 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust
Flowmaster mufflers,Resonators removed
Hurst Polished Billet Aluminum Pistol Grip Shifter
White Hemi R/T Tail and Hood Stripe w/hood pins
Classic Challenger Script Fender Emblems
Billet Tech. Catch Can and CAI
275-40-20 tires all around on 20" wheels.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Al_Gore_Hates_Me

Whats the widest that will fit on the stock 18" rims?

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1974 Datsun 710 wagon
1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe
Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 PM

Our wheels are 7.5" so my tire guy told me 255 is the max and i think you have to go down to 45 height.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Well i have the optional 20" rimms so I'm not sure what size to buy. Ide like to get 255s for the fronts and 275's for the rears.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Nice tool but i'm not changing the diameter of the tire just the width of tread. It showed a difference of .01% in the speedometer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobaal For This Useful Post:
URHeel (05-22-2013)
Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Photos: (1)

Originally Posted by brandono View Post
I just put 255/40/20's and 295/40/20's on my R/T. My wheel size and offset was: 8.5" with 20mm positive offset on front and 10" with 35mm positive offset on the back. The fronts fit perfect. The backs however stuck out about 15mm more than I like AND they rubbed inside the fender wells. I drove for 40 miles on a very curvy road to test the setup under a lot of conditions and never had a problem with the front but the back tires wore through the plastic of the inner fender well and started to remove paint on the metal behind that plastic. I returned the wheels and tires and intend to look into modifying the inner fender wells so that whatever tires I end up with in the future will have more clearance.
Brandono,
If your rear wheels would have had a +20 offset instead of a +35 offset would the 295 width rear tires have had adequate clearance? I want to use 295/40/20s on my SRT, but the wheels I would use are a 20x10 and have a +20 offset.

MoparToYou
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MoparToYou View Post
Brandono,
If your rear wheels would have had a +20 offset instead of a +35 offset would the 295 width rear tires have had adequate clearance? I want to use 295/40/20s on my SRT, but the wheels I would use are a 20x10 and have a +20 offset.

MoparToYou
I can only guess, but I would say yes, they would clear the inner fender wells without rubbing... BUT they would then be sticking out on the sides 15mm more than mine were and I really felt mine already stuck out 15mm too far. So essentially a +20mm offset on the rear tires would be sticking out 30mm TOO FAR on the outsides (beyond the fenders). Understand, the lower the positive offset, the MORE the wheels will stick out beyond the fender. You know what I mean? So when you are looking at the car from behind the tires will not be flush with the outer fenders... They will actually stick out over an inch. This is not a good look in my opinion. I should also say, there do seem to be some subtle differences between the SRT and the RT, so your results may be different than mine.

Last edited by brandono; 11-13-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.