My R/T Challenger vs my Mustang GT - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My R/T Challenger vs my Mustang GT

Well there is no comparing them now. If I did my Challenger wins hands down. However, I modded the crap out of it, so it wouldn't be fair until I mod the GT. I will say the shifting sucks with the standard shifter on the GT. I only have 20 miles under my belt driving the GT, so I can't be truely objective. My R/T handles way better and the off the line torque feels so much better.

Recently, there has been a lot of Challenger bashing with the person saying I going to get a Mustang GT. Good for them as I am never going to get rid of my Challenger. I will say I like the look of the 2013 Mustang GT, so I got one. The two cars are completely different and there are things I like about both. I will try and add to this as I mod the Mustang similar to the Challenger so it will be more of a fair comparison. BTW, not here to bash either car even though I am a little tough on the GT right now because I am used to my modded Challenger. If you have something to add go ahead, but don't start bashing as this is not a bashing thread.

Thank you

************************************************************ ***********************************************************
Information added
************************************************************ ***********************************************************

I was asked what mods my 2011 R/T Challenger with super track pack, so here it is:

Whiteline Flat out Bushings and Sway bars
BC Racing coil overs
Petty rear strut tower brace (powdered coated red to match the theme)
Petty sub frame connector
Mopar front strut tower brace
SRT 8 Brembo brakes
Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats
AFE 3" exhaust with cat black mufflers
B&G tuned ECU
Fastman TB
DSS aluminum drive shaft
20" Foose 2/3 piece Nitrous flat black wheels
Nitto Invo tires (front 275/40R20, rear 315/35R20)
True Fiber carbon fiber hood painted flat black
Danko Productions Predator grill (1972-1974 Cuda grill)
Mopar CAI
Hurst short throw shifter
Speed Dawg ball shifter black and red
Challenger door sills
Mopar steering wheel
Billet catch can
Katzkins (black leather with black suede inserts and red stitching)
Suede head liner
Custom paint by and work performed by Whiteside Customs

The 2013 Mustang GT with track package and Recaro seats will get:

Whiteline bushings and WL
AST coil overs
DSS carbon fiber DS
Rear seat delete
Roll cage and 5 point safety harness for both seats
Hurst or Barton Shifter (haven't decided yet)
Forgestar f14 wheels 18" and 19" (18" for the track, 19" for the street)
Will do mods to engine after 1 year ( wait for an warranty issue to come up before I mod it)
Exhaust, headers, and CAI ( doing research to see which one to get. Will wait 1 year on these too, as I would want to get a tune to make the most of those mods and that would void the warranty)

However, once the suspension mods and shifter are done it should be easy to compare them as they are about the same horse power.

January 2012 Ride of the Month WINNER!

Last edited by 2011Cuda; 11-06-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: To add information
The Following User Says Thank You to 2011Cuda For This Useful Post:
driller (11-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Cuda View Post
u
What mods have you done to your RT ?

2013 392 Core 6speed, 2.8l LC kenne bell tuned for E85, Custom CompCam, JBA Silver Ceramic Full headers w/ HF Cats, 180* thermostat, Resonator delete to straight pipe, T-Phlo mufflers, BC Racing coilovers, Flat black ralle stripes, Cowl hood, sms spoiler, Lick N stick hood pins, Mopar short shifter, 6K HID headlights, Plastidipped wheels, Tinted headlights, N2MB 2 step, Hurst roll line lock
#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Please keep the reviews coming. The Boss is a real track car from the factory and I'd like to know your thoughts as your miles accumulate on your GT as a track candidate.

---
10 Brilliant Black Challenger R/T 6-spd
*Eibach Pro Suspension
*Hurst short throw shifter
*Drake Strut Tower Brace
*Razors Edge Arched Rear Tower Brace
*Factory Reproductions Viper Wheels
*Corsa Extreme
*BT Catch Can
*K&N CAI
*Diablo
*Neffy Wrapped
2013 Jeep Rubicon
No replacement for displacement
#4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM

Though I sold my Mustang GT to get my Challenger, I still miss it somewhat. I enjoyed driving with the top down. Each car has its good points and bad points. If I could afford it, I'd have both like you do.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well there is no comparing them now. If I did my Challenger wins hands down. However, I modded the crap out of it, so it wouldn't be fair until I mod the GT. I will say the shifting sucks with the standard shifter on the GT. I only have 20 miles under my belt driving the GT, so I can't be truely objective. My R/T handles way better and the off the line torque feels so much better.

Recently, there has been a lot of Challenger bashing with the person saying I going to get a Mustang GT. Good for them as I am never going to get rid of my Challenger. I will say I like the look of the 2013 Mustang GT, so I got one. The two cars are completely different and there are things I like about both. I will try and add to this as I mod the Mustang similar to the Challenger so it will be more of a fair comparison. BTW, not here to bash either car even though I am a little tough on the GT right now because I am used to my modded Challenger. If you have something to add go ahead, but don't start bashing as this is not a bashing thread.

Thank you
I don't know what year Mustang GT you have but I put Redline D4 in my manual 5 spd. Mustang and it made a difference between keeping it and selling it.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

put a tune, intake and x-pipe on your GT and watch it hurt the Challenger....

that should be good for @ 420whp....and in a car weighing @ 3600lbs.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Litos For This Useful Post:
B D HEMI (08-05-2013), BlkSEbase (04-17-2013), Challengerawi (08-05-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
put a tune, intake and x-pipe on your GT and watch it hurt the Challenger....

that should be good for @ 420whp....and in a car weighing @ 3600lbs.....
Ain't that the truth lol

2011 Mustang GT Premium Auto - Steeda CAI, American Thunder Axleback, SCT Tune by Dynospeed of Memphis @ 418 rwhp 402 rwtq.

2008 Mustang GT C/S Auto - Steeda CAI, Borla Axleback, Whipple Supercharger, 3.73 gearing, SCT Tune by Dynospeed of Memphis @ 513 rwhp 476 rwtq.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nosami For This Useful Post:
BlkSEbase (04-17-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM

(Thread Starter)
A tune will come in the future. However, for right now so I can compare them it the tune will be the last thing that gets done.

I will say the damn shifter sucks really bad and is really sloppy, worst then my Challenger before I did a shifter upgrade to a Hurst shifter. This will be the first thing to be modified for sure. Also, I have the base GT with track package and recaro seats and the radio is terrible. Driving the car has been fun. I now have 250 miles on it so, I haven't been spirited with driving as I normally wait until the car has at lead 500 miles so that the engine is broken in. I have taken it on to some winding roads and it handles really well with no body roll. Remember that I have not been spirited on these roads and I plan on going back once I am over 500 miles to go a little harder and see how the car does.

My Challenger on these roads handles like a race car and with all I have done to the suspension I wouldn't expect nothing less from it.

Also, from research on shifters the Husrt is out for the Mustang and I have add MGW shifter as another one to look at.

Last edited by 2011Cuda; 11-08-2012 at 09:07 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
A tune will come in the future. However, for right now so I can compare them it the tune will be the last thing that gets done.

I will say the damn shifter sucks really bad and is really sloppy, worst then my Challenger before I did a shifter upgrade to a Hurst shifter.
not sure about the shifter, but i do know the chinese 6-speed MT82 tranny that you got has had problems for a long time.....

Ford responds to NHTSA’s investigation of the Mustang’s MT82 6-speed transmission | Mustangs Daily
#10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Very interesting comparison. I have a Challenger SE and my brother has a V6 Mustang and we are both going to upgrade to RT & GT this Spring. We will be interested to see how the GT turns out.

TorRed SE Model purchased: 2/05/09 (gone but not forgotten)
TorRed R/T Classic ordered: 4/06/13
R/T Classic born on: 6/04/13
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted
Billet under the hood stuff
MOPAR door sills

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode