Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Need advice from the R/T folks!

12K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  Czechman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
for those who don' t know, I currently own a 2015 SXT challenger. I love and am grateful to own such a great car, however with how much I've paid off on my car versus how much I owe on it, I seem to be in a decent position to potentially upgrade sometime at the end of this year.

While I love the v6 for its balance of fuel economy and power, I feel like the car would benefit greatly from a V8. I'm looking for a lot more low end grunt, and while I originally contemplated buying a supercharger for the V6, I've come to realize that a trade in is more sensible, and leaves me with a better platform for modifications down the road, not to mention I will be able to get the M6, something I really missed with the SXT.

So with that in mind, my question is: 5.7 or 6.4 scat pack? SRT and hellcat are out of my price range (honestly even the scat pack is pushing it unless I get a good deal). I realize only I know what I really want/need given my budget, but I'd appreciate input, especially from those who upgraded from an SXT to either the R/T or Scat Pack. What are your impressions, what would you do if you could choose all over again, etc.

I am looking for more of that off-the-line attitude and power; this car will hardly be tracked, just the occasional 1/4 mile or maybe an open track day. It will still be a daily driver, even in snow, at least until I could find a cheap winter beater for the snow storm days. Fuel economy is still important, as I commute roughly 80 miles a day of mixed city and highway (with the sxt I'm averaging about 23-25 mpg depending on traffic and how aggressive I drive). What is your real world experience with both in terms of fuel economy, drivability in various conditions, and most importantly, fun factor and performance. Just looking for some honest input, any and all is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
My best advice is to see what your car is worth as a trade, compare it to what you owe, and then you'll know where you're starting at, towards any type of "upgrade" with a v8.

In short, yes, any of the v8's available will have more "grunt" and will be faster, but your budget is going to dictate what model is within comfortable reach for you.

The best "bang for the buck" Challenger IMO, is the Scat Pack 392, without a ton of options. It'll give you more than enough of everything performance wise.

If you want "all the toys" and a 392, then consider the SRT.

A loaded up R/T with the 5.7 comes close to a modestly optioned Scat Pack, so you'll have to decide what is most important, all the toys, or the most power with a reasonable amount of toys.

Obviously, if cost weren't a consideration, you wouldn't be posting, you'ld be driving your new Hellcat! :) LOL

Seriously, check things out, think it out, consider what's important or not, and go with what's in your budget.

Best of luck!

#7 ·
My best advice is to see what your car is worth as a trade, compare it to what you owe, and then you'll know where you're starting at, towards any type of "upgrade" with a v8.
Since your not backed into a corner or desperately wanting don't rush it. You got a nice ride now so keep looking for the next one, eventually you'll find it. I've read about a few that have purchased theirs online a few thousand miles away and flew there to drive it home. Most likely they were available from the midwestern or southwestern states where there isn't a lot of demand but still a good deal after travel expenses.

That's exactly my mentality right now. Find out what I can get for mine on a trade in, and use that as a base for what I can afford. And you're right Paul_C, I'm in no rush because I still get to drive a challenger everyday, something I'm thankful for and that I only dreamed of being able to do a few years ago. So I figure I start looking now, and once that right deal comes along I'll jump on it.

Keep in mind, I believe, (Since you drive a lot of miles daily) that the Scat Pack car requires 91 octane gas... I think.. others can chime in here... also, it requires a much more expensive oil as well.... I say this all to keep in mind if you are stretching your budget to the limit to get into a Scat Pack remember that there are other costs associated with the SRT engine.

Thanks for the tip! If I'm not mistaken, since I will be getting an M6 transmission won't both the R/T and Scat Pack require the 91 octane? (really 93 octane for me as I've never seen 91 anywhere in my area).

Thanks everyone for the responses, its much appreciated. For anyone who has owned both, could you give me a comparison in mpg between the two? I know the combined mpg for the 5.7 is 18 vs the Scat Pack being at 17mpg, does that reflect your own personal experience with either engine? Both of these engines seem to be plenty powerful and more of what I'm looking for, I just don't want to be kicking myself a year from now because I'm getting killed at the pump, or because I should have gone with the 6.4 and picked the 5.7. I feel a test drive might help, though being honest with myself that'd probably be unfair and only push me closer to the scat pack (the reason I'd never let myself near a hellcat :grin2:). On the other hand, I have driven a 5.7 rt charger on one occasion and it was plenty enough to have me grinning, so I don't know if I can go wrong with either one.

#3 · (Edited)
Here's my story. I needed a car for summer commutes and other all season trips. I still have my trusty but aged Jeep for winter weather but the A/C died a few years ago. I decided it was going to be a Hemi 6 speed Challenger. After about a month of stopping by dealers and looking at their online inventory starting last July I found a base 6 speed R/T not too far from me. I was looking at anything in a 100 mile range but this one was about 20 miles away. The dealer was looking to unload it because it was time to clearance for the 15's and it was sitting on the lot for 6 months. Seems the only people interested in it couldn't swing the financing. I wasn't desperate so I drove a hard bargain. Window sticker listed 33K. Final total after a bit of haggling was a bit above 26K and that was with the extended warranty thrown in.

I love this car. It's fast enough and the 6 speed is sporty. I seem to get the same gas mileage as you and sometimes my driving can be spirited. Since your not backed into a corner or desperately wanting don't rush it. You got a nice ride now so keep looking for the next one, eventually you'll find it. I've read about a few that have purchased theirs online a few thousand miles away and flew there to drive it home. Most likely they were available from the midwestern or southwestern states where there isn't a lot of demand but still a good deal after travel expenses.

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#4 · (Edited)
Without a doubt in my mind I would say go with the Scat Pack. I currently own a Charger RT with the 5.7 as my daily driver and a Challenger Hellcat. The RT is great; however, the 392 engine is so much more powerful than the 5.7 engine. I had a SRT8 392 before my Challenger Hellcat and it was a great car. The 392 is no joke and is significantly more powerful than the 5.7. You do sacrifice some MPG with the 6.4 but IMO it is worth it. If I could of I would of kept my 392 as a daily driver and traded my Charger for the Hellcat. Unfortunately, financially it did not work.

#50 ·
Same here. I love my 14 because it's a 100th Anniversary. But I really like the 15 light differences and interior. The dealerships were asking too much for a base model 2015 RT. But by this time next year or by next Xmas, I'm getting one...with manual trans and black in color. It's all I ask.

#6 ·
The Scat Pack is a great package, however it is a tad pricey and there aren't too many available on dealers lots. If you are very patient, can afford it, find a good Dodge dealership in your area and simply pick out the options you want and order it.

My '13 RT Classic 6 speed gets about 23 MPG average.

Keep in mind, I believe, (Since you drive a lot of miles daily) that the Scat Pack car requires 91 octane gas... I think.. others can chime in here... also, it requires a much more expensive oil as well.... I say this all to keep in mind if you are stretching your budget to the limit to get into a Scat Pack remember that there are other costs associated with the SRT engine.

#8 ·
I've had an R/T and currently have an SRT with the 392 Hemi and while both are great cars I'd say go with the Scat Pack if you can get the right deal. With that said it might be tough to get a great deal on a Scat Pack at the moment as they are selling very well and there just might not be one set up the way you want at the price you want out there at the moment. The dealerships are probably going to be much more willing to deal on the R/T's and that might get you your best overall deal. But if it was me I'd try to find a way to swing the Scat Pack and it doesn't hurt to go out and do a little negotiating on one and see where you might end up deal wise.

#10 ·
Having owned all 3, SE, RT and now S/P, don't stop at the RT, just go straight to the 392. If you do, you'll just trade later, believe me.

RT owners dream of the 392, makes your dreams a reality!

#11 ·
Having owned all 3, SE, RT and now S/P, don't stop at the RT, just go straight to the 392. If you do, you'll just trade later, believe me.

RT owners dream of the 392, makes your dreams a reality!

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, wanting to eventually trade again! As of now I think I'm leaning towards scat pack...do you daily drive your scat pack? If so, does 485hp ever feel like "too much" car for the roads, especially in traffic or rain/snow?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
I have a lowly 2010 base R/T with a few modest upgrades. This morning after work, she gave me all I needed. She is a daily driver year 'round. Didn't need a scat nothin nor 392 or hellkitty. 5.7 liters of cubic centimeters or 345 cubic inches does it for me. With less than $1k of performance extras it is a well rounded Challenger. I would imagine that the new ones 5.7 might stomp my baby with the right driver. :wink3:

#31 ·
Me too. And I get into plenty of trouble. My '10 R/T is my first real muscle car. I have never been in love with a car, but I am in love with Punkin'.

#22 ·
That's another thing I was considering too, is if I might get the 5.7 and just upgrade it over time, and as I saw fit. I've done plenty of mods before, from suspension work to engine work, and it definitely adds a fun and "personal" factor to the car. On the flip side, it's tough passing up over 100 extra HP under warranty from the factory, though I guess the wallet will weigh in when I go and see the prices between the two. From all these responses though, it seems like I really cant make a bad choice here!

#23 ·
my wife and I just traded her 2012 challenger SXT for a SP 8 speed last night. After only 1 day I would recommend you go straight to the SP 392 if you can swing financially . Yes they are hard to find ..especially 8 speed auto. I got lucky and found one. I learned in my corvette days buy the fastest car you can afford in stock form or you'll always regret it.

#26 ·
Just bought a 2010 R/T and love it, but if I had the funds and didn't have two kids in college I would go SRT, a Hellcat definitely. But like most of us family guys we get what we can get my friend.

T. Lynn

Fully agree, and it's the smart thing to do. Buy what you can afford, and you'll be able to enjoy and keep that car for as long as you want.

If one can afford the 392, and wants what it has to offer, that's the smart thing to do also, for the long run.

I've had my R/TC just shy of five years now, and I'm still in love with everything about it. I don't need or want anything different than what I have.

So my friend, we are on the same page. :):wink3:

#28 ·
I would maybe consider ordering a scat pack and having it just how you want rather than be at the mercy of whatever the dealers have on the lot.

When I bought my 2015 RT STP I really wanted a scat but there wasn't any on the lot. I've actually only seen 2 or so pop up in my area at all dealers in months. All of them are also usually loaded and have price tags of 42 and above. After talking to the dealer a bit (my trade was not with me) they offered me 23 grand for my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport cause they were confused and somehow thought it was a Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Trade in value on the car would of been around 17-18 had they known it was a sport from the start. My RT stickered at 35 with STP, A8, keyless entry and push to start. Which they offer to sell for 32500. Considering the extra 5 grand I was getting for my car I didn't make sense to me to wait for a scat and have to pay 40 grand plus for a scat and get 5 grand less for my trade. 13-15 grand more just to upgrade to a 392?!?! NO THANK YOU!

Which is why I'm now pricing a supercharger lol so long story short like others have said feel out your situation and make the choice that works best for you from there! Good luck.

Also to add to the whole we always want more than we have debate. As awesome as the Hellcat is its just unjustified to me. I really don't see a 30 thousand dollar difference between a Hellcat and an RT STP even with power factored in. Just my .02 but if in spending 65 grand or more for a car im pricing out a c7 z06.

#30 ·
Having had a "regular R/T" and a SCAT PACK, go with the larger engine. Especially coming from the SXT, you will be like "HOLY SH!T". If money is an issue, than just get the R/T, but you will not regret the 392 cubic inches of sheer awesomeness the scat pack has to offer.

Reactions: Craig 0801
#33 ·
After owning several RT's, SRT's and even the Hellcat, based on what you asked, go with the scat pack. The power difference is significant. Some one asked a few years ago if the $20k price difference between the SRT and the RT was worth it. After owning them both the answer from me was no. Now that they have the scat pack at a "mild" price difference, the answer is yes. My suggestion is same as a few others: spend what your wallet can handle. That is ultimately what will dictate your decision will be. And to the gas milage difference: it is really a wash between 5.7 and 6.4. I used that analogy in one of my RT purchases and was highly disappointed to find the difference very minimal and that it was a moot point in reality. Remember this though: if you get the 8-speed, its really only $400 more since you lose the gas guzzler and the car is faster and DOES get better milage. Just a thought.

#34 ·
Thanks everyone for the useful insight! This thread is really helpful with both R/T and Scat Pack owners chiming in, I appreciate it. As of right now I am in talks with a dealer, once I get a solid number on trade in value I can be more confident about which car I am going for. Right now I'm leaning towards Scat Pack, as its really tough to pass up that extra horsepower and torque. That being said, the R/T looks really attractive as well, and wouldn't be as much of a stretch for the wallet. I will have to see what kind of deal my dealer can get me, but either way its looking like I will be joining the V8 family soon!

Another question, does anyone have any experience with the R/T shaker (not the 392 scat pack shaker)? I was playing around on the builder on dodge's website and noticed there is no super track pack option for an R/T shaker; does it come standard, or is it not available on that specific trim level? Thanks again for all the responses, I look forward to being able to tell you all which route I went once it's said and done! :thumbsup:

#41 ·
I was playing around on the builder on dodge's website and noticed there is no super track pack option for an R/T shaker; does it come standard, or is it not available on that specific trim level?
As cerino said, STP is standard on the 5.7L Shakers however to take full advantage of it and get the Performance Pages, you must also order the 8.4AN radio. If you keep the standard 5.0 radio you will not get them. Also SiriusXM is optional with the base radio too but included with 8.4.

#36 ·
Alright, great! Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, the shaker is certainly not a necessity, but I'd be lying if I said i didn't want it haha. Just trying to get a good handle on the features of the specific trims that way based on what the dealer can find me I know exactly what I'm getting with each.

#37 ·
By all means, Dollar for Dollar, you can add a Shaker later to a Scat Pack for around 3k. Steve White has the full kits in stock now. You certainly can't add a 392 to a 5.7 for 3k. Just a thought..... :alf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.