Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Oil Preference

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Slidd 
#1 · (Edited)
About to do my first oil change.

What brand of oil do you guys put into your cars? What have you found to work best, and what have you found to work poorly?

EDIT: I am looking for an oil that is going to be great for the engine and my driving habits (I don't drive it too hard) and good for the cold weather and will help with cold starts.

#4 ·
I see a $hit storm on the horizon. :surprise:

Threads about oil or gas can get crazy. First of all, use the weight of oil recommended in your owners manual. I use Amsoil signature series oil. It just makes me feel better inside...And hopefully, my engine too.

#5 ·
I have read very mixed reviews on Royal Purple XPR. People say it is 100% worth it and they swear by it, and some say it isn't worth a crap and they would never run it in their car. That is the Oil I am leaning towards(the 5w-20 Royal Purple Extreme Performance Racing). But I am not sure.

#6 ·
There are very few BAD oils out there. And when you ask if any of us have found any that "work poorly," exactly what would you expect? Seized engines? Sludge after 100,000 miles? All those things are more likely to be neglect than the oil itself. Find an oil that meets the API requirements (currently SN) and viscosity grade recommended by the owners manual. That's all you need.

FWIW- I've used Royal Purple oils and they seem fine. But in a non-racing engine, they're not likely going to yield any better longevity than Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, or any of the other major brands. In fact there are drawbacks to a super-heavily additive loaded oil like XPR- more probability of sludge formation, more combustion chamber deposits, and potential deterioration of the catalysts. Definitely if you're still under warranty, XPR is not a good choice since its not an officially API approved oil and carries far more extreme pressure additives than a modern engine with roller lifters needs. XPR is more suited to either an old engine with flat lifters (like a vintage big-block), or an all-out race engine that doesn't need a lot of detergency because it gets new oil frequently, but needs a lot of extreme pressure additives. A better choice would be RP's API certified series, or *maybe* the "HPS" series, but even it is not officially API certified. But at least its not an all-out racing oil.

Reactions: CharltonUSMC24
#10 ·
I'd recommend a full synthetic and yours being the 5.7 5W-20 will cover you for year-round operation.

The synthetics flow better in colder temperatures, and tend to cling to internal surfaces, so dry start-ups are pretty much minimized.
Your year probably calls for 8-10K intervals on oil changes, and your driving habits will also influence the oil life calculations as well.

[hotter oil temps - harder driving, idling in traffic = shortens oil change intervals]

Reactions: CharltonUSMC24
#14 ·
I use the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40.
Been using it for 20K now in my car. Never used it before. Will be using it from here on.
The guys at the shop ask me to save my used oil, so they can put it in their cars.
It flows better than any oil I have used. My oil is clean when I change it.
Bottom line, when I go check my oil at lunch time, I have to clean the dipstick
because all the oil splashed on it on the way in to work, is still on it and the car looks
to be overfilled.
Amazing. But it is my personal sentiment.
Tom.

#15 ·
Dollar General 30w works great for me!! Cheap too!!

#17 ·
Time to stir the pot! >:)

I only run Amsoil and their filters, and have done so for many years on all of my rides. And I change the oil every year, whether it needs it or not. When I do so, it always looks the same as the day I put it in. BTW, a performance engine builder turned me on to the stuff way back in the day. :werd:

#18 ·
Is there a factory recommendation? For the 6.4L engine the factory recommends Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 (full synthetic), and that's what I use. If there is a similar recommendation for the 5.7L engine, that's what I'd go with.

#20 · (Edited)
amazing! another person talking how good about amosil is. it is like the jim jones for the internet car world.
talking about oil is like talking about politics. every one thinks they know the best and drama always starts.

as for me? I have always used rotella or delo for everything (old school v8s, 15-40 is close enough to 20-50)...
but since my challenger says 5w-20, I just get the mobil or chevron, or whatever is reasonably priced without a scary name...

I have ran many type of oil... raced in many different events...
I feel your everyday off shelf oil is good enough (not dollar general) - as long as you watch your oil temperature...
but then, I am not Richard Petty that would push my vehicle to the point where commuting makes oil matter...

and if you are asking, you aren't either...

when you have your every-day tercel running on jiffy lube oil, driven by a 16 years old teenager work reliably to a quarter million miles,
I feel it is silly to worry about oil for your HEMI... especially when these engines are built better with better electronics...

#21 ·
Oil debates are like the 9mm vs. .45ACP debates on gun forums. haha

Modern self defense ammo made that debate pretty much moot (but people still lose their s#!t discussing it anyway). Same thing with oil. Modern synthetics pretty much make one as good as the other except maybe in some extreme circumstances. Best is to use whatever the owner's manual recommends. I think Dodge used to recommend Mobil 1 full synthetic and more recently changed to the Pennzoil Ultra. I use the Mobil, because it's what I use in all my vehicles, even my motorcycle and there's nothing wrong with it (YMMV in a bike with a wet clutch, but mine has a dry clutch). I just use Mobil in whatever weight the factory says.

#22 ·
I was just kidding guys! I use whats recommended from the manufacturer.
Follow that route and you cant go wrong as the oil debates will continue forever.
I have been successful with Castroil, Mobil and Penzoil in past vehicles over the years with no issues.
The key is changing your oil when its needed based on your mileage or time and using the right weights.
The two things I always preach to never go cheap on is oil and tires and has worked and really takes the arguments to a null point. If you feel the oil you are using is better then thats okay too. The best way to know is pull off your valve covers after 100k and take a look. The truth will be known then on how well your oil choice works.

#23 ·
I used to use Mobil 1 almost exclusively but with as much as I like the new Penzoil Ultra 0W-40 in the SRT I would go with the Penzoil Ultra in 5W-20 for the R/T. Supposed to be stocked at Walmart but sometimes hard to find so always order ahead and keep some on hand. For the filter, hard to beat the stock Mopar MO-899 filter and you can normally find that at Walmart too.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Attachments

#26 ·
with as much as I like the new Penzoil Ultra 0W-40 in the SRT I would go with the Penzoil Ultra in 5W-20 for the R/T.
Slidd: You said you used to use Mobile 1 but switched to the Penzoil Ultra and said this: "but with as much as I like the new Penzoil Ultra 0W-40 in the SRT I would go with the Penzoil Ultra in 5W-20 for the R/T." What do you like about it that is so different than the Mobile 1? What am I missing?
Mike
I don't think you're missing anything and I think it's important-ish for people to understand that oils from the same product line rarely have the same formulation, meaning it's not just a difference in viscosity but a difference in VIs, base oils, etc. So basing the quality of one oil on the experience of a different oil in that line isn't guaranteeing anything.

Something else I find interesting is that Pennzoil makes two different 0w40 oils now; SRT and European formulas. The SRT oil only carries the Chrysler/FCA MS spec and API SN ratings, nothing else. The European oil carries API SN, ACEA A3/B3, ACEA A3/B4, Mercedes, Porsche, Fiat, and VW ratings/specs. Note no BMW LL-01 cert, which is weird. But why does Pennzoil have two 0w40 oils, one of which is really only spec'd for the SRT motors? I don't know. The MS spec isn't very good at all, either.

Anyway, getting off-topic here. I wouldn't assume a 5w20 is going to perform as well/work as good/keep an engine as quiet as a different viscosity oil with the same name. There have been numerous discussions over on the BITOG forums about this very phenomenon and how "oil X is great, but don't use oil Y because it tests poorly in comparison" and they were both from the same brand and product line.

Reactions: mikesrtclassic
#24 ·
With my '11 R/T I ran Mobil 1 5w20 and Royal Purple 5w20 (the API 5w20, not the XPR or HPS because I still had a warranty), I was happy with both of them as they kept my engine quiet with no HEMI tick. I ran PP 5w20 for part of an oil change once and drained it before it was due because the engine was noticeably louder (mechanical noise). Put Mobil 1 back in and it quieted down immediately.

Not very scientific, but I felt better with a quieter engine. Any 5w20 should be just fine, just make sure that you stick with a 5w20 or 0w20, especially if you have an automatic with MDS. Higher viscosity oils will trigger a check engine light due to MDS operating out of spec with the thicker oil.

With my 392, I'm running Castrol Edge 0w40 European formula (Made in Belgium). I've used the factory PUP 0w40, Mobil 1 0w40 (pre-"FS"), Royal Purple 0w40, and then Castrol Edge 0w40 which I just changed again so I'm on my second oil change with it and have no complaints. Good price from Amazon, engine is nice and quiet. Just don't run it in a 5.7. :)

#25 ·
I use Mobile 1 5-20 full synthetic since my first oil change. After dumping original base oil, the Mobile 1 made the engine run quieter. No Hemi Tick.
Slidd: You said you used to use Mobile 1 but switched to the Penzoil Ultra and said this: "but with as much as I like the new Penzoil Ultra 0W-40 in the SRT I would go with the Penzoil Ultra in 5W-20 for the R/T." What do you like about it that is so different than the Mobile 1? What am I missing?
Mike

#28 ·
Mike
It's just more of a gut feeling I guess than anything scientific. The SRT engineers had a say in the specs they wanted for the oil so you know this stuff is good. Are other oils just as good or better? Sure. When I had my 14 R/T I ran Mobil 1 but it developed the sewing machine sound and occasional hemi tick. I'm not really blaming it on the oil, just think it was the luck if the draw. With the SRT now, it came with the Penzoil Ultra and this engine so smooth and quiet that I'm not gonna tempt fate, I'm gonna stay with the Penzoil and hopefully it continues to impress.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I use Mobil 1 FS 5w-20 and SRT MO-041 filters now. I use Mobil 1 FS in the Trailblazer, old beater Nissan D21 pick up with now 135,000 miles and wifes Nissan Versa that she has put almost 100,000 miles on in less than 5 years….I do the Versa every 8000 miles which only takes about 3 months its seems….runs perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.