Dodge Challenger Forum banner

RT Legacy...Respect It

9K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  Slidd 
#1 ·
There's just something about the RT badge. I am proud to drive a Challenger RT. Although I pride myself as an "old school - you've paid your dues - I'm not PC and I hate the Thought Police" kinda guy, I am rendered, let's say, UNCOMFORTABLE, whenever I hear my brothers disparage the RT. Let me just hang it all out there...Baby (yes, that's her name) will be 3 years old, to her family that is, in a few days. She was purchased new and without any thoughts of aftermarket mods. She was the end result of much hard work and sacrifice. I spoke loudly of her virtues as a bone stock beauty. All the while I got to know the car...exquisitely...like when you're really attached to someone or something. At the same time I was glued to CT. Need I say more. For all the hype and hoopla and just bad advice, there is an overriding degree of MOPAR savvy within the hallowed halls of ChallengerTalk. In time I was able to determine how Baby could become an even better RT by embracing certain quality, well considered, and proven mods. It was never my intent to make her into a "wannabe SRT8" dripping with either Frankenstein-like or shade tree modifications. Rather, my desire was to allow Baby to be at her best by unlocking the restrictions imposed by MOPAR plus just a wee bit of bling and a single stability enhancing aftermarket device. She is now 90% "there. " We wait patiently as JBA and BBK fight fiercely for a C.A.R.B. approved set of shorty headers and will then follow up with a dynotune that will finally tie all of her mods together. Baby will then be 100%. The other day I tested myself by asking what more would I care to do to her if I had an extra $10K lying around. I thought for a moment and said "...uh...leather seats? " But hey, why the leather if I'm happy with cloth? Where is this all leading you ask. Truth be told, I was recently tempted by the only remaining '14 SRT8 on my dealership's sales lot. The car could occupy Baby's garage this evening. I then approached Mrs. WYFSKAAR with the "notion. " Her ears perked and then we looked at each other and knew that giving up a car that we dearly love, could never come to pass. Fortunately for some they are able to have an SRT8 as a stablemate for their RT. In Baby's case she will continue to adorn a modest garage in a modest home in a modest neighborhood of an old school workin' stiff. Happy Thanksgiving to my CT brothers. Let's cherish and be thankful for our rich blessings.

See less See more
#2 ·
yes..........

I agree that the RT has class, history, and heratige. We all like the same car. Should we make fun of the V-6ers. I think not. They may be the top of the food chain in a few years. There could be a 800hp supercharged V-6. i like smaller V-8s. Had a 289 66 mustang that turned 8.10 in the 8th mile and a 65 289 mustang that was consistant 14.5 in the quarter. Had a 72 302 that would also turn 14s in the quarter. Then in the under 200 hp years of the 1980s i had a 2.9L V-6 that also would turn consistant 8.1 in the 8th. We all like Challengers. Mother Mopar gave us variations so we could have something we wanted. NASCAR Sprint Cup is limited to 358ci. I could have bought a SRT8when i bought the shaker. I saw it before the Shaker. It was red, and loaded. We all have great cars stx through hellcats. Lets not bash each others cars lets just enjoy them. Did anybody else get the questionaire from dodge asking if we would buy a twin turbo charged V-6 if the V-8s were not available. Pitty the poor ford guys
With ford pushing the econo boost, some models are only available whith a 4 banger. Peace, Shalome, and happy Thanksgiving.:grin2:

#3 ·
I agree with the mystique in the R/T name. It's loaded. Back before Hellcats and Scat Packs some people here used to state that they preferred the R/T over the SRT because of the name and the more old school stance... and they were usually laughed out of threads, but I always could relate.

Case in point: although 5.7 sounds great, I've had 6.4 envy since that engine has been out. Well, while the Core was attractive (price-wise), I never felt the tug I feel about the Scat Pack. Same price, same capabilities... but the SP is an R/T. There's just something about that.

#5 ·
I agree too and am looking forward to ordering an R/T Scat Pack. I like the heritage of the R/T. We currently have a 1971 Challenger R/T as well as 2 1968 Coronet R/T's. When we ordered our '09 it had to be an R/T Classic.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#6 ·
What a car! Have heard it referred to as "The Little Hellcat" Great reviews unless you want to press her real hard through Malibu Canyon when the August temperature is approaching 100 degrees. The former SRT8 brakes are said to fade a wee bit. But hey, let's get real!

#8 ·
R/T baby.

#9 ·
Agree with R/T respect, it has the legacy. SRT8s are cool, but don't't have the nostalgia.

I was so stoked with the 6.4L being offered in the R/T.

#13 ·
Yea, great car, damn shame they HAVEN'T UPGRADED THE POWER IN 8 YEARS THOUGH

:surprise:

#16 ·
This thread offers much support to my proposition that Dodge should move to an all 6.4 RT line up. Base RTs would have the 6.4 with current RT STP. RT plus would have the Brembo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
This thread offers much support to my proposition that Dodge should move to an all 6.4 RT line up. Base RTs would have the 6.4 with current RT STP. RT plus would have the Brembo.

Why should they move to an all 6.4 lineup for the RT? They sell a ton of 5.7 engines and they put them in cars/trucks across multiple models so they are cheap to build. They had many more engine combos in 1970 with the different motor and carb options. I love the 6.4, but not everyone wants/ needs that option or wants to pay for it. I feel the same way about the Hellcat, it's awesome but for what I use the car for the Scat Pack was the perfect choice for me. And to stay on topic with the thread I do think it's cool that it's an RT given the history.

#17 · (Edited)
Hey OP! So very glad you got the car you worked so hard for. That it has brought you so much joy is such a great thing to hear. I hope it brings much, much more over the coming years! I'm kind of waiting on the JBA shorty thing myself. Here's to your getting 100%. :cheers:

#19 ·
I believe they can sell both 5.7 and 6.4 without losing money. Imagine all the Chevy and Ford boys jumping ship to by 6.4s at RT pricing.

#20 ·
When I heard that they was coming out with B5 BLUE back in 2009 I had to order one the way I wanted no sunroof and no nave and made sure they did not put any holes in my front bumper.Then I did a lot of old school myself. And when I orderd my car I wanted a full size spare and jack. Some of the things I did to make it old school I put a 1970 hood on mine chrome door handles and side llights and white letter tires and little bigger tires in the back for that down hill look old school shift handle and chrome around the head lights and tail lights old school challenger on grill and back wing.And that some of the things I have done.So far as of 11 30 14 it has never seen rain or any kind of wheather and has 4400 miles on it and inside it still has that new car smell. love the old school look.

#29 ·
As stated above we have choices. If anybody else got the questionaire from Dodge they wanted too know about turbo 6's. Would you buy a turbo 6. The 5.7 may end up the only V8 option in a few years. This may be true with the stricter CAFE standerds. Forgetting that the 5.0 ford, small block Chevy, and the Hemi are probably the best motors ever built. The Ford guys are facing eco boost soon. The Chevy
Guys are also getting a 4 according to some articles. ( the dont lie on the internet:wink3:) Be glad we have choices.:fight:

#33 ·
had an r/t even in dead car era a '02 stratus r/t. wasn't even made by dodge but was made in normal, il. had good style, a power house, right, 3.0L doing maybe 220hp. but was an r/t. now my beater & up to this year not lots of maintanence.

#35 ·
I bought a 2012 R/T new....was absolutely perfectly optioned for me; cloth, 6-speed, roof, black, Super Track Pak.

Ended up trading it in on a Ram 1500 last summer to try to simplify things....kinda regret it still.

Ended up getting a 2014 5.0L GT this year; it's faster but I still kind of miss my R/T. Really liked the simplicity of it. Hemi, stick, R/T badge, Goodyear F1s and a lowered suspension....pretty much perfect.

#38 ·
I choose the R/T Classic because that is what I wanted: A modern car that looks like 1970. R/T meant king of the road for Dodge and so on.

But here's a question for you R/T fans out there: Can you get a 2015 R/T with the 392 & Shaker hood?
I would then merely order some Classic stripes. I guess then all I have to do is figure out getting those Classic rims I love so much that are on my 2010 R/T Classic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.