SRT exhaust on an R/T - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
SRT exhaust on an R/T

Who has done this or can point me to a thread/website where this has been done? I understand the only actual difference from mid-pipes back is the fact that the R/T is 2.5" whereas the SRT is 3". If I were to go catless mid and get an SRT 3" system and maybe stock SRT manifolds would I see a drastic loss in torque? I understand the concept and theory of bigger pipes=less backpressure=loss of torque. But what is this in reality on our platforms?

I ask because I see some SRT exhaust systems coming available at decent prices and wonder what a .5" difference will make in the exhaust systems.

Also, if I'm looking to be some type of forced induction in the future should I waste the install money on stock SRT manifold or save my money for LTH? I will be running catless regardless. With respect to going catless what do I need to do there about the o2 sensors, CEL, and throwing codes?

This is kind of all over the place but there is alot of factos that go into something like an exhaust system. I want sound and performance but I also don't want to have to go into it all again when I go FI. I like to spend my money once if able.

Thank you all.

2009 R/T Trak Pak(M6 3.73)-SRT Functional Hood Scoops-SRT Suspension-SRT Alcoa Wheels-2011+Long IAT Sensor-Skip Shift Eliminator-JET 180 Tstat-RPI Acrylic Side Marker Blackouts-20% Window Tint-Diablo Trinity-Hurst Billet Shifter-PWR Eagle Mean Street Heads-392 Cam-JBA Titanium Coated Long Tube Header-JBA Catless Mids-DynoMax VT Cat Back-Moroso CC-Zeitronix ZT2-Edelbrock EForce @ 8lbs-Brembo Brakes w/SS Braided Brake Lines

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SRT exhaust is 2.75" (R/T auto is 2.25" and 6-speed is 2.5").

Challenger driver since October 17, 2008
SRT8 Coil Springs/Shocks/Struts/Air Intake Tube/Functional Hood Scoops, K&N Drop-In Air Filter, 2011 Long Air Intake Temperature Sensor

Other car: 2013 Mustang GT 6-speed manual
#3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I really hope someone who has done this replies.

I have everything ready to do this on my car. I dont see the str cat back as a big flow increase with its bends and reduction in size at the right tail pipe but do see improvements in the crossover and know they have a less restrictive resonator. I also have the high flow cats from magnaflow but if they give me codes I also got a set of factory srt cats. At some point I will have to swap on the factory cats for ohio's e-check.

I dont see a real HP increase but think it will sound a little better and hopefully not kill low end.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
To clarify I am speaking to specifically Solo or Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Not swapping out to a stock SRT exhaust system. Though I understand that if I were to use a SRT spec'd catback I would need either stock or aftermarket SRT spec'd midpipes and I presume stock or SRT spec'd headers.

Doesn't seem like much of a change from 6 speed R/T to SRT then either.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM

chubbster

I replaced a stock exhaust on my R/T Classic auto with an SRT 8 6-speed system. Simple bolt-on application. Good low end sound and nice SRT rumble on start-up but a bit too much drone in MDS mode at 60 to 80 mph. I replaced the small resonator mufflers with a glass pack which helped but not enough. I am looking to go back to stock. I just need to find a stock system to put back on.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
I've since stopped my search for now. The purchase I was planning is no longer forthcoming. I did stop by the muffler shop today and speak with them. There was considerable concern about the loss of back pressure from a more open system. Even so much so that they did not recommend going cat-less. The previous owner replaced the rear resonators with some small Magnaflow mufflers. I am going to have the shop cut out the middle bottle mufflers and run just the rear Magnaflow mufflers. The cost is low enough that I can always swap back if I find it too unpleasant.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 AM

If your's is an R/T auto and you want to sell the small bottle mufflers, I would be interested in purchasing them (need to see a photo first). Let me know and good luck with your exhaust mod.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM

(Thread Starter)
I have an R/T manual. I have the small bottle mufflers in my trunk. Gonna drive down to Savannah this weekend and see how this exhaust setup works. If all is well I may sell you the OEM bottle mufflers. I can have pics up this afternoon.

In case anyone is wondering the guy at the shop said we have a really good OEM exhaust. 2.5" all the way back, H-pipe, etc. I'm pleased with the sound of my just magnaflow mufflers in the back so far. I'll see about the drone on my upcoming long highway drive.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM

If you are concerned about maintaining exhaust velocity (the real aspect at work to that whole "backpressure" element), what you do is keep your stock pipe size, but you can up-size your muffler (an SRT8 component, for example). Naturally, you will need adapter couplers to connect from your stock pipe size to a muffler with larger core pipe size, but that's how you do it. The pipe size is nearly never the bottleneck unless you are dealing with tiny 1.5" size or something. It's the muffler that is the bottleneck (where sound attenuation is typically at direct odds for maximum flow that muffler could accommodate).

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM

If the R/T auto is 2.25" and the manual is 2.50", do they use the same headers from the factory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode