street legal headers?? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
street legal headers??

Are there any street legal headers that connect to the factory exhaust? Found out today that the MP headers are not street legal dammit....

-Daty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only street legal header I am aware of are the shorty headers that hook up to cats. Any header that removes the cats are illegal (all long tube headers I am aware of are illegal) Many of our vendors sell them both. The SRT8 shorty headers are also available through members who have removed them. Look for them on the for sale section of this forum.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmfootball69
Do you know the legality of them if they include high flow cats hemiorange? I know they may not be carb approved and all that but I'm sure there are a few long tubes out there that are ok for street use.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Daty Rogers View Post
Are there any street legal headers that connect to the factory exhaust? Found out today that the MP headers are not street legal dammit....

-Daty
The short of it, you cannot touch the cats. The only headers that will work with the stock cats are shorties. Long tubes are better, high flow cats are better yet, no cats even better yet. For street legal, keep stock cats, add shorties.

JBA makes a good set thats street legal.

Now one thing to know. The stock exhaust manafolds are so restrstrictive, that when you add headers, even shorties it will lean out and possibly dammage the engine, so you must have a preditor to add fuel, or get a custome tune that adds exactly the right amount of fuel. You can use a wideband O2 to monitor it as well.
07 3.5L Charger K&N CAI, Magnaflow Cat back, JBA shorty's, DS 93 tune, sold, 2010 Challenger R/T 5 speed. 180 degree Thermostat, fan settings lowered, CC, ceramic brake pads, slotted rotors, red and black caliper paint, Challenger label for calipers, Corsa Cat back, functional hood ducts, and hood struts, 93 DiabloSport tune, Mopar drop in filter, JBA Shorties, Wideband O2, custome tweaked tune, Anti-sway bars front and rear, end links, strut brace, 12" subwoofer with amp.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Hears the think, add headers, cat back, DiabloSport 93 octane tune + whats needed to make the headers the proper tune, and now your right at SRT-8 power. So shorties arent that bad.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM

American Racing Headers 2006-09 Challenger, Charger, Magnum 300C 5.7 HEMI American Racing Headers Stainless Long-Tube with Cats
Kooks Custom Exhaust Headers for the 2008 Dodge Challenger R/T - shopHEMI.com

I've found these so far, probably go with the American Racing headers, does anyone have any experience with these or Kooks? A Predator is on order along with their catch can so that is taken care of too. My B5 SS is at the dealer getting the stage 2 suspension put on (damn I miss my Fast Sofa!). Can't believe they put on such restrictive manifolds on these cars, oh well...

-Daty
Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 AM

Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When I had my Jeep SRT8 there were several who installed headers only to have constant "Check Engine" light problems. Many removed the headers and some managed to find a way to work around this problem. I believe it took several years to figure this all out. You may want to check the Jeep forum because it's the same engine. Builder Bill on that Forum seems to have a lot of experience with this.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM

long tubes no good but shorties are ok

2009 IMSM PRO DOMINATOR MOST WANTED
COME GET SOME BITCHES
Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 PM

I've had the JBA Shorties on my 5.7 Magnum for nearly two years along with the high flow cats and not one single code.

'05 Magnum RT
Maggiefied '09 Challenger SRT
Old 12-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
x2 on what Bonez said.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.