Dodge Challenger Forum banner

To tune or not

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  RT23 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 09 r/t with a Mopar cai.... I just disabled the MSD via diablosport predator should I put a tune on it or not?

#10 ·
X2
You haven't at least tried a DS tune? Why? Kinda like buying a computer and all you do is use it for a calculator :D

I don't know how much better a custom/email tune is over a caned tune without mods, but with a good one, as stated, it is a hell of an improvement. For those who say the caned tunes are a waste, I don't know what the variable is for them to not see improvement, but I noticed improvement, especially after I data logged and learned what fuel to use to eliminate (or at least mitigate) KR. Good quality fuel of the highest octane you can buy at the pump locally is a must.

#3 ·
FWIW, my tuner feels that the caned tunes tend to run too lean for his tastes. Before someone says ya so he can make more money, he isn't like that.

I went to a 3 inch exhaust and SRT8 headers and mid/cats. We had the battery disconnected for the work and I told him that I wanted to do it right, if it needed a tune, do it. He felt that the factory O2 sensors were pretty sensitive and that if it didn't throw codes, it should be fine. It has not thrown a code and it runs like a raped ape.
He gets about $500 for a dyno/tune.

There is really a lot of latitude in the factory tune, esp if you let the computer reboot into the "new situation" cold and it does not try to blend what it already knows to what is going on now.

Just $0.02 and worth less than that. Tune if you want but with only a CAI, I doubt you need it.

BTW, one of his cars just set the standing mile speed record, 212 mph in a Challenger. He also has many stock 5.7 cars running blowers for the last couple of years on street duty, driven often with no problems, most in the 500+ RWHP range.

#4 ·
Do what you want, I have done the canned tunes once or twice but felt I was doing nothing more than donating $300 bucks to some guy that owns diablo or what have you so he can build a new cottage somewhere.

Unless you have to to do a tune for a blower etc. I dont see wasting time or energy in doing so.

#5 ·
Yes, but at least get an email tune. The canned 91 octane tune made no difference, an email tune from a tuner made a nice difference

Reactions: 19johned53
#8 ·
Ya said MSD so you have the same Benz auto trans I had in my 2010. I bought a Diablo Predator and had a dyno before and after the tune done as part of a package deal. Night and day difference! The Benz trans is a numb pig, and sluggish at best. Aside from an added 25hp at the rear wheels, the best part was waking up the trans. High shift pressures, crisper shifts, elimination of "hunting" when I nailed it, and less reluctance to down shift. With out reservation it was well worth the price of admission. Irish

#9 ·
I'm with Irish. I did not buy the inTune for the added hp but for the improved driving experience it provided. I added throttle boost, raised the shift points, reduced torque management, and resetting the TCM. The difference in daily driving was substantial, making my commute etc. a lot more fun. I do feel more power in the mid range, it's all good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.