Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

╗ Auto Insurance

╗ Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PICS! NEW Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576

So I had the LMI Hammer CAI on my car for about 4 weeks. It was a nice looking piece, I did not see a performance increase but I did like the look compared to the stock intake tube/silencer. Unfortunately, when I was installing it I broke it. What I think happened was I tightened the throttle body clamps over the carbon fiber that wasnt positioned over the actually throttle body extension correctly (the metal throttle body extension obviously provides structural support for the carbon fiber intake tube end when your clamping it down). Anyways, it ended up getting warped. It is not cracked or anything just deformed now, but it still works fine with the TB sleeves on. So I started looking at other CAIs on the market for the 2011-12 models, and there really arent many good options out there yet for the 5.7Ls (2011-current). But I did come across the new Volant CAI, and it appears to be a well built unit, that also incorporates a fender pull tube. I havent ever really seen an install or review of this product for our Challengers so I thought I would make a thread on it to share my thoughts/experience with my compatriots here. Now, I dont care about gains with a CAI, because I know gains from any CAI are negligible (if any). I just like the look of it under the hood. So lets not get into a CAI gains debate here please. I have several intake options that I have already purchased, just because I was curious about the differences. I have the stock unit (which is never going on my car again), I have the 2011-current Charger intake tube that I put on when I take my car to the dealership ($70), I have the now slightly deformed LMI Hammer, and lastly the Volant CAI. I would have stopped at the LMI Hammer purchase but it met an untimely demise.

So I put my Challenger on some Rhino Ramps in front of my house and got to work installing the new Volant CAI for the 5.7Ls. You only have to put your car on ramps/jacks if you plan on installing the fender pull tube onto the bottom of the Volant air-box. You can chose not to install the fender pull tube, and the Volant unit will still pull air exactly how the stock unit pulls air; through the triangle cutout below the stock air-box. With the exception that the Volant unit also has a cutout which faces the grill/headlights to draw in additional air.

If you choose to install the fender pull tube onto the bottom of the Volant air-box you will need to do the following (at least in my experience):

UPDATE: I think you can just drop the unit down into the car with the fender pull tube already attached. Eliminating the need to do steps 1-4 below.
  1. Remove the belly pan and splash shields from underneath the car
  2. Undo the front left (drivers side) portion of your rocker panel (and removal of splash guards if you have those).
  3. Remove the front left drivers side wheel-well liner
  4. Install the fender pull Volant tube onto the bottom of the Volant air-box using the provided clamps and a sleeve.
Removing and re-installing the front drivers side wheel-well liner was by far the most difficult part of the whole install, everything else was pretty easy.

I will say though that the Volant CAI does give my car a deeper sound over stock, and the LMI Hammer. I noticed a distinct increase in my exhaust note. Anyways here are some pictures I will probably have to do this in several threads because I have like 14 or so pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-16.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-15.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-17.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-3.jpg  

2011 Challenger R/T auto
Mopar T-Shifter
All Black Drake Fuel Door
Smoked out (black) side marker lights
18% Tints
Stealth splash guards
11' Mopar Slush Mats
Lockpick CHR550 w/License Plate Camera
Volant CAI (switched from LMI Hammer)
Fastman TB standard mod

Last edited by OHSNAP; 10-30-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 01:38 PM

pics of Volant CAI install

Here are some pictures of the Volant filter. This passage is taken from their website:

NEW Volant Filters with PowerCore® Filtration Technology: Manufactured by Donaldson® to Volant's applications, this filter uses advanced technology for improved efficiency. This material is a high-quality synthetic, that won't deteriorate as easily as traditional paper element and cotton/gauze filter media, while also providing vastly improved filtration up to 99.97%. In addition, it's water resistant and never needs oiling. PowerCore Filtration Technology works by directing air into the front of the filter, where it is channeled into its fluted design. The channels are alternately sealed, allowing air to enter through an open flute and forcing it to exit out an adjacent flute. This allows the air to be filtered in one pass through the filter media with less restriction, allowing clean air to enter your engine for increased airflow and higher filtration efficiency. This technology allows the filter to include a 4 year or 100,000 miles warranty when used in urban conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-14.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-13.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-12.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-11.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM

More pics of the air-box, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-6.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-7.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-5.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-8.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-10.jpg  

Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Pictures from underneath the car showing the fender pull tube attached to the bottom of the Volant air-box.
Attached Thumbnails
Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-4.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-9.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-1.jpg   Volant CAI (pics/install/review) Part#162576-volant-cai-2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Awesome.

It's about time someone else noticed Volant. Good choice with the filters too; Made by Donaldson and top of the line quality and filtration.

The only thing that keeps me from getting one of these (and I found a site that sells them for $252 shipped) is how throaty it's gonna be. I initially bought an AFE stage II and where it was a very nice intake with good quality, I thought it sounded obnoxious. It was entirely too loud for me.

How loud is it vs the stock air box? I'm running a 6.1 air box. Have you driven it yet and with the scoop, what did you pay for it?

2010 R/T:
Volant CAI
Diablo Sport Tune (91) CAI)
R1 Premium Rotors
Borla Cat Back
6.4 Shortys with mid pipes
Fastman Throttle Body
Hankook Ventus V12 - 255/45/20

Proudly Served - U.S. Army - 1996-2004
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
Awesome.

It's about time someone else noticed Volant. Good choice with the filters too; Made by Donaldson and top of the line quality and filtration.

The only thing that keeps me from getting one of these (and I found a site that sells them for $252 shipped) is how throaty it's gonna be. I initially bought an AFE stage II and where it was a very nice intake with good quality, I thought it sounded obnoxious. It was entirely too loud for me.

How loud is it vs the stock air box? I'm running a 6.1 air box. Have you driven it yet and with the scoop, what did you pay for it?
I know, I don't understand why Volant has been ignored so much thus far. I am really impressed with the build quality and design, even if there is no horsepower gains per-se.

It is definitely more throaty than the stock intake, and the LMI Hammer in my opinion. It almost sounds like I have a aftermarket exhaust on my car inside the cabin. I don't think it is over the top though, the increase is subtle, it just makes it sound more like a muscle car at cruising speeds and WOT when inside the cabin.

I don't know if this is just my experience though. I think it sounds really nice, maybe ill try and get an interior sound video clip posted soon for you. I paid $280 (without tax) at a local performance shop here in San Diego.

When you say the scoop what are you referring to exactly? Do you mean the fender pull tube?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, I've been eyeballing Volant's now for a couple months. I just bought an AFE filter for my stock air box and I've been more than happy with the 6.1 box so far. I didn't expect any gains but maybe another mpg or two I was hoping for. I don't care for K&N and I think their filters are garbage. I fail to understand why EVERYONE and their grandmother here swears by them.

AFE Filters

What made you get the Donaldson filter vs the 5 layered oiled synthetic cone?

I'm a hair away from doing this but I just cant stand the super loud throatiness. I think the engine loses it's refinement sound with an intake on it. My AFE Stage II lasted about 200 miles before I sold it. I just couldn't take it.

I was also looking at the Volant's box and I was thinking if I did this, I might seal up the front of the box so that it gets all it's air from underneath. Great pics too.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a Volant on my 300C and had always hoped to see one for the 392. Just checked their site and see they still don't have one for my SRT. Too bad, because I would have probably bought one.

Yours looks really nice OHSNAP!

JFF
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have been waiting for this intake for several months, and I finally got one on 04/07/12 for $254 from new level motorsports.... no sales tax & free shipping. I did not get the 100k mile filter because I planned on periodically changing/ cleaning it.... I got the Volant Pro-5 Filter.

The fit & quality is very good, and the actual (interior) intake noise is only slightly noticeable @ full throttle.... if you have an after market exhaust (Corsa Extreme) you will really have to listen to hear the difference.

I haven't noticed any mpg increase because I have been too busy enjoy 3500+ RMP shifts.... the car's nose rises nicely under the harder acceleration
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
Well, I've been eyeballing Volant's now for a couple months. I just bought an AFE filter for my stock air box and I've been more than happy with the 6.1 box so far. I didn't expect any gains but maybe another mpg or two I was hoping for. I don't care for K&N and I think their filters are garbage. I fail to understand why EVERYONE and their grandmother here swears by them.

AFE Filters

What made you get the Donaldson filter vs the 5 layered oiled synthetic cone?

I'm a hair away from doing this but I just cant stand the super loud throatiness. I think the engine loses it's refinement sound with an intake on it. My AFE Stage II lasted about 200 miles before I sold it. I just couldn't take it.

I was also looking at the Volant's box and I was thinking if I did this, I might seal up the front of the box so that it gets all it's air from underneath. Great pics too.
I like the Donaldson filter because I thought the design was intriguing and unique. I wanted to see the difference between that and the traditional cone shaped filters on the market. Its not super loud were I think it would be a problem, I don't know what the Stage II sounded like. And maybe the filters make a difference in sound level. I wouldn't categorize the sound difference as engine noise either, but rather the exhaust sounds deeper and little bit louder. But this is all just my opinion though.

Sealing up the box from the front would be interesting but what would you use to accomplish that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.