Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What to buy, RT barebones model or sxt fully loaded ?

38K views 184 replies 54 participants last post by  Lashlarue 
#1 ·
So I'm in the market for a challenger, I would love a rt but can't decide yet. I like the idea of having all the gadgets and shiny stuff, but the rt is more hp and better suspension. I'm 21 in so cal by long beach, can afford 500-700 monthly payments but would like to pay car off in 3 years and tops being 6. I've done my research about almost everything about the challengers, and still can't decide. But I'm sure all of you will say rt :)

#3 ·
My first priority was to have a V8 Hemi. I got one and a lot of the cool options too with payments in your range and time frame.

#5 ·
My agent here in Phoenix told me the 6 bangers cost more than the R/T's to insure. They have had a higher claim rate... Guess they were trying to overdrive them to make up for the missing 2 cylinders? I don't know where age figures in to that equation tho, he was talking the 45+ age group.

I would say get an R/T. If you even have a slight tickle of a thought that you might want the R/T and then don't get it, you will be kicking yourself every time you get in wishing you had. I speak from experience... I was on the fence between R/T and SRT, got the R/T, kept regretting it and upgraded to the SRT 10 months later costing me $5k+ more than if I had just got the SRT out of the gate...

#6 ·
Why not get a low mileage 2009-2010 R/T loaded that's what I did and she's barely about to break 7k miles and I paid well under a loaded 2013 SXT ^_^

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide App

Attachments

#7 ·
Yeah I really want the rt, it gets about the same Mpgs as the v6 but offers more hp and Torque. Last time I spoke to my insurance agent she said 120 for sxt and 140ish or the rt. Since I have a clean driving record etc, but what about stick and auto. I've been told auto will have higher resell in the end, then I've hear horror stories about mds and timing chains on the auto. And I also don't know how to drive stick, I know you Guys are gonna give me crap about that :(

#8 ·
Again, speaking from experience, I had the Auto in my R/T and hated it. The SRT is a 6 speed and I love every shift.

If you want to run 1/4 miles, the Auto is faster (depending on the driver, etc. Don't really want to open that can of worms again). But personally, I have more fun and feel more connected to the car with the 6 speed. Makes me feel more like the driver vs. a passenger that steers it.

#9 ·
And I was looking at a 2010 rt basic model with 27k on it and another one with 15k. The dealerships wouldn't go lower that 25,000. So I told them I would rather pay an extra 1-2 k for a new one and she would be mine and have no previous owners.

#10 ·
Get the stick and learn how to drive it. It ain't that hard. I got the auto because I'm old and drive it every day, all day. If it was a just for fun car, I'd have the stick.

#11 ·
It's gonna be my daily driver to and from work, so about 10 miles a day round trip. And I get stuck doing 35 and then maybe 65 on the freeway. I just have nightmares of la traffic, but I'm more than willing to learn stick. And does stick get better Mpgs or auto, we all know the Mpg ratings they give auto 25 hwy an 16 city and stick being 23 ish. But I trust daily drivers, not what a sticker says

#12 · (Edited)
Depends how you drive and where you drive. I drive a mix of city and highway and average 19-20. I like to make use of the capabilities of the power train. On a recent trip, I got 26 just highway at 65-74mph.

From what I've read on here, I don't think there's much difference in mpg between stick and auto. 6th gear is higher on the stick and the auto has MDS.

#13 ·
The automatic is also an $1100 option, so the 6 speed would be cheaper. In my opinion, the 6 speed will also get better gas mileage (if you drive it right) and you won't have to deal with the MDS (cylinder deactivation on the auto to help it's gas economy).

#14 ·
I currently drive a 86" Buick Park Avenue, I go through a tank of gas every 2-3 weeks. And it gets about 17 city and 27 hwy. So I'm hoping to get about the same but with a bad ass looking car and feel. I'm sorry I won't take any other model out there. I was debating on the dart limited or the rt when it comes out. But the dart has no style:(

#19 ·
If you get a bare boned R/T you can always accessorize it later, over time, as the pocketbook allows. When I bought mine I bought the plainest 6 speed car I could find because I knew, over time, I would be installing the interior, stereo, wheels and tires, suspension, engine mods, etc I wanted.

#20 ·
Yeah I'm gonna have to get the rt now. I'll I really want is the better sound system and rims and the srt8 racing stripes. I do admit the redlined tires are beautiful , except I would like them in white trim. Now with a new rt I know I can get it for about 26,500 or less. Now should I go get a used rt 2010 or 2011? The dealerships want 25k+ for a used one with over 10k miles on it. Now I think more 23 is realistic for that mileage and year. Am I thinking wrong??

And thank you all for answering my dumb questions :)

#21 ·
Depending on where you are, and on availability, I would think the $23K to $25K wouldn't be unreasonable for a bare 2010 R/T. If you haven't read, or weren't aware, so far the 2011 or newer models have locked computers making tuning for aftermarket parts, like blowers, headers, etc. more expensive. If you plan to leave the car mostly stock its a non-issue. Aftermarket sounds, wheels, and stripes is easy enough no matter which year you choose.

#22 ·
Dodge Fever

I went with the sxt fully loaded option. If I had a chance to do it over again I would have got a used SRT8. I had no idea when I bought the car I would get Dodge fever. Side effects include Hemi envy, cravings for more horse power, and urges to go to the track. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the new Pentastar 300 HP isn't plenty enough for me. I have A LOT of fun with my car. Now I crave more power.

#96 ·
I went with the sxt fully loaded option. If I had a chance to do it over again I would have got a used SRT8. I had no idea when I bought the car I would get Dodge fever. Side effects include Hemi envy, cravings for more horse power, and urges to go to the track. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the new Pentastar 300 HP isn't plenty enough for me. I have A LOT of fun with my car. Now I crave more power.

You should be glad now you got the SXT as gas prices have gone up and will go up again. Or are you not getting the kind of MPG you should be getting on the SXT?

#23 ·
25 for a bare R/T with 10k miles is a lil over not by much.

I paid $28,020 for 2010 R/T Classic with everything except HIDs and it had 5120 miles. I think I grabbed a steal ^_^

Use the Internet go on cars.com, auto trader and search used within 250 miles. Look at truecar.com its a great tool to compare options and prices.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide App

#24 ·
I'd check the insurance rates first since you're under 25. Then you could make a list of the options by importance to you.

The key is the "to you" part. I listen to music a lot and have a lot of mp3s so "Sound Group II" was a big deal for me. I also drive in traffic all the time so a 6 speed just isn't for me.

I'd figure out which options, colors, and wheels you must have then search and wait for it. The 2011 - 2013 are slightly improved over the previous models. This may not matter to you though.

Used cars have higher interest rates. They often decrease as your down payment increases though.

#43 ·
V8's are going to be history....Get them while you can, hold em as long as possible!

See link to this thread http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f51/v8-engines-moving-endangered-species-list-86045/
People have been saying that for a while now , but my 2.4L gets WORSE mpg than my 5.7L, and the imports with 6 cylenders I have driven get same mpg and both cars are 1,000 pounds lighter than my r/t, so why would anyone do away with a v8, when you get same or worse mpg, and less hp.

The smaller v8's ARE the echo cars, and are the most effeciant.

If the government has any say they will do as they normally do, charge more, for less and provide us with less for more, pretty much what many 4's or 6's do.:headbang:

#26 ·
Get what you decide is best for you financially and emotionally. If you found a private party sale you could get an ultra low mileage R/T 6 speed for about $25-27. Usually, in Nevada and most states no sales tax or dealer fees, big savings there. Seriously a car with 5,000 miles is a new car, just do a car fax to make sure it has no dmage history. New bare bones R/T's are about $31 plus tax and 1,000-1,500 in dealer fees. A Hemi and 6 speed are the best options especially if you want to mod the exhaust without drone, the most important option is color. I bet you could find a 6 speed 2010 plum crazy and have the ultimate in color, cost for far less than a new one, plus the savings on insurance. Hemi Orange and Furious Fuchsia as good choices also, but I'm biased on those two colors. If you get an auto you'll wish it was a 6 speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.