What to buy, RT barebones model or sxt fully loaded ? - Page 18 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by RippTyde View Post
You just need to ask yourself one question....

Do you want luxury, or do you want performance?

Therein lies the answer
Want both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If I were you I'd wait until I got used to paying the extra bills that you're going to start having with your mom there.
When that settles down I'd start putting the amount I'd be paying for a car into a savings account and see how my
budget handles it. If you can do all that and still not break into a cold sweat when you sit down to pay the bills then
I'd say you'll do OK. Other than that,in my opinion, a car or any car can wait. It ain't no fun when paying the bills puts
a strain on you. Believe me, I know.
I hate to jump on the buzzkill wagon, but I agree. It's nice to be on top of all of your bills and savings and have extra money in checking / savings as a cushion. Or maybe just wait until the next spike in gas prices and see if you can get a good price on a used, loaded R/T.
1989 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4, 360, my daughter won't forgive me for selling it!

"Hello everyone. Sorry I'm late. I got stuck behind a Prius."
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BonnievilleGXP View Post
I hate to jump on the buzzkill wagon, but I agree. It's nice to be on top of all of your bills and savings and have extra money in checking / savings as a cushion. Or maybe just wait until the next spike in gas prices and see if you can get a good price on a used, loaded R/T.
Spike in gas prices
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
What's the typical carpayment these days?
Depends on the price of the car, my $35k 6 year lone runs about $550
07 3.5L Charger K&N CAI, Magnaflow Cat back, JBA shorty's, DS 93 tune, sold, 2010 Challenger R/T 5 speed. 180 degree Thermostat, fan settings lowered, CC, ceramic brake pads, slotted rotors, red and black caliper paint, Challenger label for calipers, Corsa Cat back, functional hood ducts, and hood struts, 93 DiabloSport tune, Mopar drop in filter, JBA Shorties, Wideband O2, custome tweaked tune, Anti-sway bars front and rear, end links, strut brace, 12" subwoofer with amp.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Challenger370 View Post
Depends on the price of the car, my $35k 6 year lone runs about $550
From what I see on the Dodge Build your own website the R/T Classic has the HID headlights and you get that 392 option if you want it with 20 inch wheels with brake upgrade, shock upgrade and steering upgrade if I am reading this correctly. vs. the 18 inch wheels and 3.73 rear end that come standard on the R/T but then one has to wonder which option is better for them between the 20 inch wheels vs. 18 inch wheels and 392 vs. 3.73 rear end?
Sort of like on the Corvette suspension option lots of people thought the Z-51 option was great (over base suspension and F-55 suspension) but those people found out on real world roads the ride was just too bumpy since this suspension was set up for the track so they got rid of the car.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 AM

Dude I've been researching the used market and buying a "new" any thing is a bad move if money is an issue and an emergency forces you to sell the car.
These cars do not hold their value
I got mine used and added a bunch of cool mods and I would be lucky to get 2000 less than I paid 6 months ago
If you have to have a challenger I know how you feel, I had to have one too
But don't put yourself in a hole you can't get out of
There are some cheap cars out there and no one is getting more money cause it has this and that
Good luck
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
From what I see on the Dodge Build your own website the R/T Classic has the HID headlights and you get that 392 option if you want it with 20 inch wheels with brake upgrade, shock upgrade and steering upgrade if I am reading this correctly. vs. the 18 inch wheels and 3.73 rear end that come standard on the R/T but then one has to wonder which option is better for them between the 20 inch wheels vs. 18 inch wheels and 392 vs. 3.73 rear end?
Sort of like on the Corvette suspension option lots of people thought the Z-51 option was great (over base suspension and F-55 suspension) but those people found out on real world roads the ride was just too bumpy since this suspension was set up for the track so they got rid of the car.
Newer technology allows suspensions to get the best of both worlds at the same time. The higher end shocks from the srt-8 aren't uncomfortable, but can be more sporty in corners.
If you go with mopar coil overs they have 2 springs, so its soft for daily driving, then on the track when those springs compress the stiff springs kick in and you have firm suspension. Even higher end you can adjust it for track, then soft for street.

The modern oil shocks have a special oil that responds to a magnetic field, and you can adjust how firm or soft they are, and with sensors and a computer, you have switches for firm or soft, and you can have it respond to bigger bumps and soft for normal driving, etc. They change firmness in millisecond response time.

Its not just firm for track = firm all the time any more.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by outflyin View Post
I like both.
I get that...but the spirit of this thread is pick one or the other.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Photos: (2)
Originally Posted by Jthrower View Post
So I'm in the market for a challenger, I would love a rt but can't decide yet. I like the idea of having all the gadgets and shiny stuff, but the rt is more hp and better suspension. I'm 21 in so cal by long beach, can afford 500-700 monthly payments but would like to pay car off in 3 years and tops being 6. I've done my research about almost everything about the challengers, and still can't decide. But I'm sure all of you will say rt
Originally Posted by RippTyde View Post
I get that...but the spirit of this thread is pick one or the other.
But there is a third option which he clearly wants and says he can afford. Just the opinion of one who chose that option and is very happy with it. I believe the spirit of the thread is that the OP was looking for opinions and experiences. That's mine. That's all.

2012 Challenger R/T Classic, Automatic
2008 Harley Softail Custom
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Question

Looking at the 2013 Dodge Challenger "Build your own" website from the R/T, R/T Plus to R/T Classic you can get the 3.92 gears with 20 inch wheels, HID lights, functional hood scoops but no parking assistance with those options. It's like do you want parking assistance or functional hood scoops? But I don't see on any model here where you can get all of those options together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.