3.6 Pentastar ticking and noise - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM

Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.6 Pentastar ticking and noise

Any 2011 owners noticing a ticking sound developing around 7000 miles, along with a sound I can only describe as a whirr, at the top of the engine? Gonna take it in soon, but wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Oh yeah the 3.6 is noisy at idle if it get any worse I'm taking our Charger in too.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Photos: (2)
An update..

Back into the shop at 21000 miles and a new dealer for the continued ticking sound. This dealer had the shop foreman look at this. He agreed when I stopped in the other day to schedule, that he heard the ticking too. His conclusion today...design issue. According to them the rockers are different from one side to the other. One side includes a silencer built in, the other side does not. If true, I have to say..WTF. can't they stop cheaping out on everything...The service manager feels if enough complaints come in maybe Dodge 'might' do a fix. Since they won't even provide a permanent fix for something as cheap as the rocker panel cracking, I hold no hope for this.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

Meh, people say the V8's tick too....maybe it's a Chyrsler thing?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by Robgpw View Post
An update..

Back into the shop at 21000 miles and a new dealer for the continued ticking sound. This dealer had the shop foreman look at this. He agreed when I stopped in the other day to schedule, that he heard the ticking too. His conclusion today...design issue. According to them the rockers are different from one side to the other. One side includes a silencer built in, the other side does not. If true, I have to say..WTF. can't they stop cheaping out on everything...The service manager feels if enough complaints come in maybe Dodge 'might' do a fix. Since they won't even provide a permanent fix for something as cheap as the rocker panel cracking, I hold no hope for this.

FYI, there is a problem with the heads needing replacement on the 3.6. If I remember correctly it's the left side. You might want to do some research on it.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:52 PM

Noticed the same thing on our '13 SXT. It turned 7000 miles on our trip this weekend and now sits at 7400. Ticking or rattling noise coming from the motor. Strange. I need to get the car in for that and to check on the shift patterns. The car cant seem to make up its mind when to shift if you dont do rapid starts.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM

When I had my 2011 Mustang V6 with the 3.7 I had a ticking on the driver side. With more and more miles it became worse. It was discovered that the top of the heads were not designed properly. Below describes the process.

Here's the TSB.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...ck-tsb-509272/

I believe these engines are very similar and may have a similar problem. It was a great little engine but love my 5.7. Hope this info might help out a bit.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with the AutoGuide App.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong....but it seems this has been effecting the post-'11 cars more than anything else, from all the threads I've read. I have 30K on my 2011 3.6 now and beat it relentlessly like a bad horse every day. The only tick I hear is the normal sewing machine noise of an OHC. No real 'tick'....even on sub-freezing mornings in the dark when I fire her to ride again.

Can we get a count on who's had a problem and what model year they have???????
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM

Interesting about the Mustang issues. It appears to be a similar problem with the 3.6, coupled with poor materials/QA. Last time i checked they were on their 3rd revision of the problematic head, with folks reporting issues on the the first and second revisions. I started a thread here to raise awareness as I hadn't heard too much from Challenger owners, but if you go to the jeep forums, there are hundreds of posts/videos/insights on replacement heads. No TSB from Chrysler yet, and unlikely they will issue one (looks like they are trying to cover it up with flashes that raise the number of misfires to trigger a CEL). The most affected builds appear to be from mid to late 2011, but could certainly be affecting any build prior with a first gen head. After late 2011 they started building them with newer, more "robust" heads. There is also a large backorder of replacements/remanufactures, many people reporting having to wait several weeks. This is certainly as it affects most, if not all of the new v6 cars. IF you google "pentastar replacement head" you'll see it received a bit of press back in Aug of last year, but nothing since.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM

The ticking is normal OHC with hydr. lifters sound...no big deal the BMW's all tick too with the rockers having that slight gap to the cam lobe. But I think I read that the 12's had a problem with the valve guides to they are putting new heads on them...only if you beg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.