3.6 ticking noise...replacement head? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
3.6 ticking noise...replacement head?

Anyone have a head replaced on their Pentastar due to the not-so-publicized issue?

Chrysler replacing cylinder heads on select Pentastar V6 powered models
Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Looks like Chrysler is on their 3rd revision of the part and quite backlogged (dealers only receiving 1-2 per week). I have one of the affected revisions. I thought the sound was normal but its gotten progressively worse and is clearly coming from the driver side only (no CEL yet). I'll be taking it in in a few days and will let you know what i find. I've read on the Wrangler forums that they've been flashing an update that increases the number of misfires required to throw a CEL- not cool.

Thanks for any feedback- curious as I haven't read about a Challenger case yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM

ive not had an issue and ive got the new pentastar car was made Jan 2011. I did have a ticking noise in my jeep GC v8 that the dealer said they could never hear, that was frustrating.....

Last edited by Jefferson1964; 11-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM

xtwo
how many mile on your engine. do you race it? spirited take offs? I have 5k on my 2012, no noise as of yet, knock on wood.

2012 Challenger 220, SXT Blackberry Pearl, Diablo I1000, FM 73/80mm.
2004 Ram 2wd 1500 345, lightly mod'd, 9" lift, FM 84mmTB
1999 Durango 4wd 360, mod'd and minor 2" lift, FM 50mmTB
not forgotten, 1993 Dakota 4wd, 318, heavily mod'd and 12" lift
#4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
2LZ

I'll have to check the build date on mine....but I think when I looked up for the door handles, it was Feb or Mar 2011?
I bought it last day of Sept, last year. Working on 30K and no problems.

There has to be more to this than they're letting out, that they know about. There must be some corrolation between production dates or which plant manufactured the engine. (Mex or US)

Also, why does it seem to be far more common in the Jeeps and bigger rigs, than the Challenger? The Challenger does have a different intake, hence the increased HP. That's about the only solid difference between any of the engines, from what I know of.

Another question.... From what I've read, maybe the problem is caused by excessive pinging (pre-detonation). Since no one has "cracked the mystery coding", does the Challenger have a more aggressive or different timing curve than the other 3.6 vehicles, minimizing that pinging? That could also explain the lack of 3.6 issues in the Challenger, compared to the other vehicles the motor is in.

All food for thought.............but you know they know more than what they're saying., especially if MBZ is going to be putting this engine in all of their V6 cars.

Last edited by 2LZ; 11-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyD View Post
xtwo
how many mile on your engine. do you race it? spirited take offs? I have 5k on my 2012, no noise as of yet, knock on wood.
i have around 5k, no racing really, some WOT on the highway thats about it. build date aug 11

mine sounds similar to this:
. Heres that same one with new head:

i'll try to get a video up this week for comparison
#6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 AM

Idk if this is similar, but back in July when they updated my flash, it added a whining sound to my engine. I liked the sound but I had it cheeked out and dealer said its ok. Guy who check my car at the dealer is a club member in our Space city club so I trust him
#7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to riley king
[QUOTE=xtwo007;1197669]Anyone have a head replaced on their Pentastar due to the not-so-publicized issue?

Chrysler replacing cylinder heads on select Pentastar V6 powered models
Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Looks like Chrysler is on their 3rd revision of the part and quite backlogged (dealers only receiving 1-2 per week). I have one of the affected revisions. I thought the sound was normal but its gotten progressively worse and is clearly coming from the driver side only (no CEL yet). I'll be taking it in in a few days and will let you know what i find. I've read on the Wrangler forums that they've been flashing an update that increases the number of misfires required to throw a CEL- not cool.

Thanks for any feedback- curious as I haven't read about a Challenger case yet.
Had a ticking noise on the driver side, took it to the dealer. They had to replace the rockers.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Just had a head replaced at the dealer. 35k on the odometer, mostly highway. 2012 SXT model.

Wife babies the car. The check engine light came on and she asked me what to do. I started the car and it idled rougher than my 1972 Bronco. I told her to take it to the dealer.

They told me the would have to replace the cylinder head. We had it back in two days.

Seems to run/idle better now. Never noticed a ticking sound.

Last edited by biggercb; 11-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback biggercb.

Here's a quick vid i took:
. Quality isnt so great, but you can hear the distinctive noise from driver side.

Dealer wrote it off as normal, says some are louder than others, couldn't do anything without CEL. Had them document the noise. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time, just hoping it crops up before powertrain warranty is up, not many daily miles. Airbag light just came back after initial repair as well

Last edited by xtwo007; 11-19-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fix link
#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM

8k miles on my 2012 sxt rallye redline and no problems at all

Shep
2012 Tungsten Rallye Redline
Radar Red Leather Seats, Sound Group 2, 730N, Power Sunroof, Speedlogix Ram Air Hood, 93 octane tuned, 3.91 Getrag, Solo Mach-X exhaust, Fastman Ported Throttle Body, K&N cold air intake, RazorEdge Strut Brace Front & Rear, R1 concept brake upgrade, 392 Spoiler, Smoked side markers, Chrome delete grill, Mopar splash guards, Mopar ambient lighting kit, Mopar door sills, Mopar bright pedals, Badges
2014 Trailhawk
Fully loaded, no mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode