Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best cat back exhaust for 3.6L?

15K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  A Guy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am currently looking at different brands of cat back exhausts to buy for my challenger. I want a more aggressive sound, yet not incredibly loud as straight pipes get. Just wondering what type of exhausts you put on your 3.6L, how you like it so far, and the installation ease etc. I'd love to be informed on opinions before purchasing myself a new exhaust

#3 ·
#7 ·
I sold my Solo Performance cat back 2 months. I'm thinking about getting the borla s-type now that I've decided to keep the car. It's a bit more pricey, though. I did love the sound of the Solo kit though.

#8 · (Edited)
I've got the Flowmaster American Thunder catback system on my 2016 SXT+ and I've been really happy with it. I was unsure as YouTube videos don't really capture the true bass of the exhaust note. I didn't want it to end up sounding like a river and it's a lot easier to make the 3.6 sound worse than it is better. I also had a hard time deciding between it and the Solo system. Both sounded really good to me, but again all I had to go off of were YouTube clips. I managed to catch the Flowmaster on sale on Amazon for around $655 though, so I snagged it. Sounds great, especially if you've got a CAI as well. Aggressive enough to be fun, but not so aggressive it'll upset the neighbors or be annoying on long trips. Very minimal drone as well, which was my primary concern. I'd definitely give them a look.
Either way IMHO you're definitely better going with a catback kit designed for the engine than you are playing around with resonator or muffler deletes. It's pricier, but I think it's worth it to get the best combo of sound and performance improvement.

Reactions: MSwezey
#9 ·
I am totally jealous of all of you. Been looking at at upgrading my GT V6 with the Solo (based on A Guy's confirmation of drone free sound) or the Borla. But...I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts where they regulate, tax and charge a fee for everything. They follow Calif CARB emissions standards but go a bit further. They do not allow modifications of the exhaust system that increase the sound level over the stock exhaust. Been reading a few posts on other sites that confirm some have failed the inspection. I'm reluctant to make the investment only to fail insp and have to go back to stock. Any other Mass Challenger owners out there have other experiences here?

Might have to move to NH[emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
#11 ·
Just Installed the Solo cat back system and all i can say best thing i ever did for my Challenger. She roars like a lion when you stomp on it. No lose of low end power. No interior drone. Just the sweet sound of a finely tuned mean machine. Best regards,,,,,,,,,,,,

#12 ·
I agree - to this day I cannot drive without wanting to punch my gas just to hear the amazing roar of the Solo exhaust!

How did that Diablo tune work out for you? I am considering getting either this, or a cold air intake for my next mod?

#14 ·
Solo

After research, I think I will be going with the Solo also. Seems like a quality exhaust. I called and spoke to the owner so it's a small company so at least If you have install question a human will pick up.

Reactions: sdr2711
#15 ·
Yeah, you see the phone numbers at the bottom of their page? You call Steve's number and he picks up, even if he's driving somewhere. Great customer service. A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.