Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger starts then stalls

47K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  fokkerpilot 
#1 ·
I'm having a problem with my 2013 SXT and was curious if anyone here has dealt with it before or knew what the problem might be. Sometimes, when I start my Challenger, it stalls out after a second or two. If I press start button again, it cranks and cranks with no avail.
However, if it stalls, I turn the ignition to off and pop open the door to turn off accessories, and then press start again, it will start and run fine. It's done this about once or twice a day since about 37k miles.

Anyone else heard of this before?

#2 ·
not heard of this issue...take it in before you're left stranded somewhere

#3 ·
Sounds like a security system issue...this is not uncommon with all the security electronics on today's vehicles. I would recommend a dealer or independent but they must have Chrysler's diag/programming software.

#4 ·
Have you replaced the battery in the FOB?

#5 ·
This problem does pop up from time to time. If it starts and stalls, its not likely to be a security issue (as the security system prevents starting in the first place...)

I have the same exactly problem with my SRT. Start, stall, crank but no start, cycle the key, starts fine.

The only fix I've seen on the forum is injector replacement, but YMMV. I'm not willing to buy all new injectors to find out.

Reactions: DyingBreed
#7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far!

It could possibly be an alternator problem, this Challenger had a recall issued on the alternator but I haven't had it repaired yet. Also, today I pulled the push start button and just started the car with the key in the dash. No stalls at all today, but that could be a coincidence. I'll keep doing the same tomorrow.

#8 ·
I'm not sure about your situation, but In my case it seems to stall more after a short trip, then a short "shut down" period. Think like running to the store down the street for a minute or two.

#9 ·
I did some research, but was unable to find any TSBs related to your concern. I would recommend bringing your vehicle to a FCA dealership for a formal diagnosis. Also, if you have an open recall on your vehicle, I strongly encourage you to have that performed. If you decide to bring your vehicle to a dealership and would like assistance in scheduling an appointment, please feel free to reach out.

#10 ·
Mine was doing the same thing, researched like above to find could be injectors, to one or both fuel pumps, ran a bottle of octane booster, seafoam, and 93 octane pure gas along with injector cleaner, and ethanol treatment. Expensive tank but I have not had this issue sense. I know it sounds overkill, but this is what was recommended by service dept, plus friend who is a mechanic.

#11 ·
Boy and I thought I was the only one having this problem. 2012 SXT here. At first I thought it was only after a short shutdown period. But sometimes it happens after the car has been sitting all night. Then I thought it was related to heat, but it does it when its cool out sometimes too.

I don't know how else to describe it, but when the car first starts and the engine revs to above the idle speed, its like it has trouble coming back to the idle speed and thats when it stalls. At least with my car, there is some sort of electrical gremlin that they have never been able to figure out. The heat stopped working a few times for a day or so each time but they couldn't replicate. Now sometimes my drivers window won't go down unless I put the passenger window down too. Combined with the fact that all the plastic trim is slowly coming off, I am none too pleased with the build quality of this car. I have a bonus coming put that could buy a hellcat flat-out, but I can't say I am too enthused about spending that kind of money when this car as slowly started to fall apart at the 4 year mark.

#12 ·
try using the key instead up the push button start and see if it does it.

#13 ·
Hasn't done it with the key yet. Before that I topped up with 93 and added a bottle of seafoam and a bottle of octane booster. Also changed the battery in the key fob. Not the end of the world if I have to forego the push to start so that it doesn't stall, but it is a bit annoying. Also my local dealerships suck, so thats disappointing.

#14 ·
I tried it with the key, instead of push button, didn't have any trouble, did that for a few days, went back to push button. Last time I had this trouble was the middle of June. Hopefully this is the last of it, like Zyzzyva100, said, the build quality of this car has been disappointing. This will be my last Mopar, I may go back to GM.

#17 ·
I have not seen anymore updates here on this thread and was wondering if anyone ever got to the finding the cause of this issue? I have been experiencing this issue myself and I am very attentive to my cars and so I notice mine three weeks ago. I have tried switching fobs, changed batteries. I live in Texas and its always hot, so can't check if cold weather does it. I have filled up using 93 octane with Lucas, seafoam and STP on different occasions. Today, I actually did a update on my scan tool (launch123) and found two codes but no CEL- cyl 3 misfire. Did anybody else scan theirs and saw any codes, as well?

#19 · (Edited)
Cure for start/stall issue

I FOUND A SIMPLE WORKAROUND ! I have the same issue with 2012 5.7 liter challenger. SYMPTOMS: Starts and stalls right away. Usually on hot days. Mine stalls about 40% of the time. 2nd start: cranks & cranks but won't start. 3rd start: perfect.

An embarrassing problem. If you cycle the ignition after the first stall (on off again and then start) it will start perfectly but even better ...

CURE: After spending hundreds of dollars on fuel injection cleaners and octane booster I discovered this simple cure. With your foot OFF the brake, push button twice (turns the car on to run position), count to 5 and then put your foot on brake and push button to start the car. Mine never stalls using this method. I can sometimes hear the fuel pumps so I'm thinking the root cause is electrical with either the pumps and/or the injectors. In any event, I can now start my car without the embarrassing "stall". So either wait 5 seconds each time you start, or spend $100's of dollars looking for a solution.

#20 ·
I FOUND A SIMPLE WORKAROUND ! I have the same issue with 2012 5.7 liter challenger. SYMPTOMS: Starts and stalls right away. Usually on hot days. Mine stalls about 40% of the time. 2nd start: cranks & cranks but won't start. 3rd start: perfect.

An embarrassing problem. If you cycle the ignition after the first stall (on off again and then start) it will start perfectly but even better ...

CURE: After spending hundreds of dollars on fuel injection cleaners and octane booster I discovered this simple cure. With your foot OFF the brake, push button twice (turns the car on to run position), count to 5 and then put your foot on brake and push button to start the car. Mine never stalls using this method. I can sometimes hear the fuel pumps so I'm thinking the root cause is electrical with either the pumps and/or the injectors. In any event, I can now start my car without the embarrassing "stall". So either wait 5 seconds each time you start, or spend $100's of dollars looking for a solution.
So you are basically allowing the fuel pumps time to pressurize the system before attempting to start. Your workaround aside, I have always tried to do this with fuel injected vehicles that have a non-push-button start sequence.

1. Turn ignition key to run but not all the way to start.
2. Listen for fuel pump to energize and then go into standby (approximately 2-3 seconds).
3. Turn ignition key to start engine.

I can’t do it so easily now with the push button ignition on my car, but if I really wanted to, I could do as you detailed in your post to get it done.

It seems odd that merely allowing the fuel system to pressure up first would stop whatever the original problem was, unless the root cause was a weak or dying fuel pump. But those aren’t normally sick for a while before dying. Everyone I have had fail on me did so without much warning. Definitely not the repeated kind everyone describes in this thread.

There has to be something stored in the PCM regarding abnormal run activity. That would be the best place to start in diagnosing the root cause and fixing it.

#23 ·
Cure for start/stall issue

My 2012 Challenger was doing same thing. Starts then stalls. Second time cranks and cranks. 3rd Time starts fine. I noticed it never stalled when using the remote starter and that the only difference was that remote start turned on the car, waited 2 seconds and then started. So now when I start my car, I keep my foot off the brake, turn car on to run position, wait 4 seconds, then put foot on brake and start the car. It NEVER stalls when starting this way. Don't waste your time and money on fuel injectors and cleaners ! Just turn on, wait 4 seconds and start.

#24 ·
My 2013 SRT has had the same problem. Got a new AGM battery and FOB battery but no difference. One thing I have noticed is if I've been driving in sport or track mode it stalls on the next start a high percentage of the time. If it is driven in normal mode only it almost never stalls. I believe that the on for 2 seconds then start method is a good one and I will start it that way to see what happens. Something else odd, sometimes when I push start, it won't do anything for as long as 3 seconds but then starts. Anyone else have that happen?

#25 · (Edited)
Not sure if this has been mentioned here but these cars tend to suffer from intake manifold loosening over time. Might want to check that they are torqued to spec. They can be loose enough to create a vacuum leak which will not throw a DTC. If you have fuel staining around the intake manifold where it meets the heads it is highly likely you have a leak.

#26 ·
I posted the problem I was having about a month ago and I seem to have fixed it. I popped out the start button and used the FOB like a key for a day and it hasn't died once since. Hope it can be that easy of a fix for everyone.

#27 ·
A bad crank position sensor/CKP signal loss can also cause this. And given it's intermittent, it could be an electrical/sensor issue.

When this happens, is there a longer than normal cranking period after the die out?

#31 ·
I'm having a problem with my 2013 SXT and was curious if anyone here has dealt with it before or knew what the problem might be. Sometimes, when I start my Challenger, it stalls out after a second or two. If I press start button again, it cranks and cranks with no avail.
However, if it stalls, I turn the ignition to off and pop open the door to turn off accessories, and then press start again, it will start and run fine. It's done this about once or twice a day since about 37k miles.

Anyone else heard of this before?
Same issue on my 2012 SXT. I did also notice that the "vehicle security indicator" light is on next to the fuel gage.
Don't know how that is related to the problem, but still trying to find out. Lost a day of work on two separate occasions taking it to the dealer, but the problem persists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.