Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Diablo Intune AAR

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ChalLEGEND 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't know if this thread belongs here or under the Tuning section. I'll let the moderators decide.

Bought a Diablo Intune from Marylandspeed.com (they had the best price and free overnight shipping). It arrived yesterday. Here's my After Action Report (AAR):

Device: much smaller and lighter than I expected. But then, it's only storing and transmitting data, so it doesn't need to be bigger.

Setup: took about 30 minutes to update configuration files. My PC kept wanting to install a device driver, but after consulting the Diablo Sport website forum (great reference for trouble-shooting the updates and tune installation), I learned to disregard the device driver prompt. The downloading and writing to the Intune is pretty slow as is the multiple reboots, but since you only have to do the updates once in a while, no big deal.

Tune: once connected to the Challenger, the tune was quick and easy. I selected the 89 octane tune. My rationale was that, according to the Diablo Sport website, I could use 87 octane gas (although I have been recently using 89 octane) and expect to receive a 2-3 mpg increase along with 10 hp and 15 tq increase. Here in Mid-Michigan, 91 octane is about 40 cents more per gallon than 87 octane and if I used the 91 octane tune, I would only realize an estimated 3 hp and 3 tq increase over the 89 octane tune, but would be spending over $6 more per tank-full. I'll run a tank-full of 89 octane with the tune, then a tank of 87 octane and see if there is any difference. If the 2-3 mpg difference is realized and I notice a difference in performance with 89 over 87, I'll stick with the 89 octane gas. With gas currently costing about 10 cents per mile, if I do get the 2-3 mpg bump and have better performance, the 20 cent per gallon cost of 89 gas over 87 gas will be worth it. Otherwise, I'll go back to 87 octane and save some $$$.

Throttle response: I bumped up the throttle response by 10. Noticeable difference over pulling the #2 fuse trick. Not only does the throttle instantly respond, it responds with more low end power. Haven't done any WOT tests yet, but the initial feeling is that the Intune was a worthwhile investment.

See less See more
#3 ·
First update: Needed to make a trip to Motown this AM, so I topped off the tank with 89 octane as that was what was already in the tank. Drove 185 miles, round trip, with all but about 1 mile on freeways averaging 73 mph. When I returned, I filled up at the same station. Did my best to top it off to the same level. Added 6.1 gallons of gas, netting me 30.33 mpg. I can take that. I was getting about 27 mpg on the highway prior to the tune. My "around town" mpg seems to be better as well. When I filled it this AM, I had gone 225 miles and used 11.1 gallons, or a fraction over 20 mpg. I was getting about 18 mpg around town. I drove about the same as I usually do, WOT every once in a while.

Next week, I have to take another trip to Motown. I'll fill the tank with 87 octane and see what the net mpg is.

#7 ·
First update: Needed to make a trip to Motown this AM, so I topped off the tank with 89 octane as that was what was already in the tank. Drove 185 miles, round trip, with all but about 1 mile on freeways averaging 73 mph. When I returned, I filled up at the same station. Did my best to top it off to the same level. Added 6.1 gallons of gas, netting me 30.33 mpg. I can take that. I was getting about 27 mpg on the highway prior to the tune. My "around town" mpg seems to be better as well. When I filled it this AM, I had gone 225 miles and used 11.1 gallons, or a fraction over 20 mpg. I was getting about 18 mpg around town. I drove about the same as I usually do, WOT every once in a while.

Next week, I have to take another trip to Motown. I'll fill the tank with 87 octane and see what the net mpg is.
thanks for the info...I have been six years debating a tuner...there are less control options with the diablo with the four speed. However the MPG bump might be worth it for just that.

#4 ·
you added 10 throttle response.do you have an 5 auto or a 6m..i wanted to bump up the throttle response but dont want the car to jerk,,ive got a 6m trans..but i will say the car feels smoother and it sounds different,,,how about yours..sound different??

#5 ·
dg166320,

5 speed Auto. I didn't change the shift firmness, so that feels the same. The throttle response is most noticeable when accelerating from a stop. Now I have to be gentle, or I'll be doing "Jack rabbit" starts. I just touch the gas and it goes. Before there was a lag, even after doing the #2 fuse pull.

Reactions: dg166320
#8 ·
Planned to do a highway mpg test today, with 87 octane in the tank and the 89 octane tune, on my trip to Motown. Unfortunately, ran into rush hour traffic on the way back. Took me 20 minutes to drive 4 miles. Figured it would wreck my mpg. Still got 28.9 mpg. I'm sure the stop-n-go traffic on the expressway for 20 minutes cost me a couple of mpg. Will try again on the next road trip.

Slightly OT, but why does traffic come to a full stop on a four lane interstate when there is no construction or accident ahead? Some drivers are morons?

#9 ·
OK, I completed my MPG test with 87 octane with the 89 tune. Drove from Lansing, Mi to Camp Grayling and returned. 277 miles, round trip. Used 10.2 gallons, averaging 27.15 MPG. Almost all the miles were on expressways with cruise set at 72, as with the previous tests. One wouldn't think that I would get 3 MPG less with 87 octane versus 89 octane. Guess more tests are in order.

#10 ·
Ok, did my final MPG test: 89 octane with the 89 octane tune. Drove just 91.8 highway miles using 3.037 gallons, netting 30.2 MPG. That's almost the same as my first 89/89 test and 3 MPG better than my 87/89 test. Guess I'll stick with 89 octane gas as the $.20 more per gallon at the pump is offset by about 3 MPG in both city and highway. I'll get about 45 more miles per tankfull, or about two gallons worth, while spending about $3.00 more. With gas here in mid-Michigan at $2.69 for 89 octane, I'll be saving about $2.00 per tankfull. Just 150 tankfulls, and my tuner will have paid for itself, while getting better performance. What a deal.

Reactions: zoink
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.